Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I'm moving back to the 1950's..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm moving back to the 1950's.. Next Topic
Page: of 2

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  1:45:58 PM  Show Profile
I for one adore June Cleaver. I wouldn't want to be June, mind you, but there is much to admire in a woman that manages a lovely home, an adoring husband and is so comfortable in herself. The 1950s had some lousy ways of dealing with civil rights but on the homefront, there is much there that we can learn from.

My toenails are Russian Navy Blue right now...I'll be switching to amethyst soon.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  1:58:59 PM  Show Profile
This 1950's thing slays me. But I love it! I grew up then, and you know how it is when you are familiar with the times and so the thrill is not there? In my young adult years, I wanted to hark back to the turn of the last century. Campfires, oil lamps, oak farm furniture, home-canning food (in the 50's, factory canned goods were new and in and a blessing).....everyone wanted the newest thing. They had lived with the old through the depression and the world war, and they wanted new-fangled! To my mind's eye, the real ruralism and country times were in the 20's and 30's and earlier. Quilting, making do, small towns, church dinners on the grounds.....all before Cleaver time.....I guess it is all in our personal perspective, right?

But the goal - to live a simple life - that is timeless, and I am glad you are going for it, Heather!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  11:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cheryl-

Just loved your description of your growing up years. How truly wonderful and sweet to read of such pleasant times. Did you grow up in OK?? While life is quite different in NY, I can remember similar times which have all but abandoned us now. I was born in the 60's so the world was in a time of turmoil and change, but I remember as a teen sitting in my pastor's living room knitting with his wife and other girls/ladies from our church. We made blankets and items to donate for young unmarried moms. I remember living in the suburbs when I was under 10 and riding my bike all over with neighborhood kids and playing at the playground or in a patch of trees that weren't too far from home. In my teens we had moved to the "boonies" and I rode my bike all over there too, usually finding someone who wanted to play in the woods or go horseback riding. I've always been different from most people in that I love the pioneer way of life...cooking over a fire, knitting socks and sweaters, wearing long skirts or dresses. It used to make me feel odd but now I find that so many people are in love with "lost eras" and it's really "in" to go back and resurrect old styles and even mix them up a bit. I've attempted to raise my kids with old fashioned values and interests but it sure is a fight to keep modern temptation (tv, video games, internet stuff) out of our lives. I sometimes get treated like I'm being abusive because we don't watch tv or have a game console. We also go for natural foods and avoid all this nonsensical junk like fruit loops, twinkies, and most candy.

It's really hard to give our children what we had, what we value, what we desire for them.

Thanks again for your story. Makes me wish I could have been one of your cousins helpin' to crank that ice cream!!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Edited by - Carrie W on Jul 10 2008 11:05:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  8:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I love it that you want to have the down home experiences of the 50's. I was a kid in the 50's, those times did make you feel safer. Except for the air raid drills in school and talk of possible bombs dropping. Didn't care for that too much! You know my Grandma always said that the past always looks simpler. I think it does. Especially to the people who didn't live in it. But, I truly understand the desire to feel safer and more secure in our lives. To be more self reliant and able to care for ourselves. Also I believe that all the good things from the 50's or 60's or any bygone era can really be obtained by a state of mind. Heather, I can feel your passion for the simple life, without all the trappings of todays pressured society.I feel the same way and I try and live my life with simplicity and really enjoying the every day and the good things in this life. Teaching your child to play and use his imagination is so important. Alot of the games and things Frannie mentioned are so good,just play, have fun no matter what your age. It isn't that these new fashioned creature comforts are bad, some are wonderful, it is just that some people become so obsessed with all the technology, they forget how to live and be creative and find their own special talents. I feel our Frannie is a perfect example of truly enjoying the past and all the wonderful aspects of it while still enjoying the wonderful new inventions and opportunities that give us a lot more time to enjoy life instead of working from sun up to sundown.I do think that in the past that a lot of people did have a lot more respect and yes, more of a sense of decency and values than some people do now. But, I feel that will turn around again to and we will end up with a good balance. It will come because there are all of you wonderful women out there who are living the best lives for yourselves and families that is possible. You will help this next generation to live life more simply and fully and to so treasure and enjoy all the good things in life, not just going for the almighty buck. I am just so proud of all of you who are really working toward making all our lives better, by your examples. Ok, I think us Grandma's help quite a bit too!!

Hugs MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:17:20 AM  Show Profile
HI, all, I'm new to the forum but have been reading it for awhile. Gosh, Cheryl, I loved your memories, they are so much like mine! Add picking violets in the orchard. Back then we would take off all day with our friends and show up again at dinnertime, parents didn't worry at all. I would die if my grandkids did that now! My youngest daughter is 25 and unmarried and she lets me know all the time where she is and what she is doing! Anyway, I really enjoy all the reading!
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
This is a great thing to do. I have felt for some time that I was supposed to be born in a different era, like God made a mistake or something. I am slowly finding others that feel the same way and it's so great. Simplicity is where you can find peace (and hopefully some money).
Blessings!

Southern Belle always.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe instead of being born in the wrong era, we are meant to bring some of the peace and tranquility back to our families? I would love to think that perhaps my house can be the warm welcoming home on the block that the kids flock to to play, use there manners, and feel safe. Some days it is hard to keep that dream in focus, but other days like last night, when I can help a neighbor in need- I feel so great about my dream!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I just feel so happy knowing how many women out there still feel this way - that God, home and farm, and family are the most important thing and it is so reassuring......

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm moving back to the 1950's.. Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page