Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I'm moving back to the 1950's..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm moving back to the 1950's.. Next Topic
Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
well as close as I can get. In the spirit of being more frugal and more kind to the world around me, I decided to really think hard about what I do each day that could be done better, more frugal, without, homemade, slower...Here is what I am working on...
1. Hang out laundry.
2. Take shower at night, turning water off between soaping, rinsing, setting my hair at night (no blow dryer to run)
3. Turning a/c off at a certain temperature outside. Using box fans to keep things cool and comfy.
4. Redecorating the house with things I already have. Bought one can of spray paint and some thread and already can re-do 5 things.
5. Freeze, bulk buy and do simple meals as much as possible. No more fast food. Eating out will be special and in a real restaurant. No more processed foods.
6. Playing outside with Charlie and the dog. Finding delight in reading, coloring with chalk on the sidewalks, chasing a ball, tag, sipping sweet tea/lemonade.
7. Making sure I am neat and perty to start my day- clean face, mascara, lip gloss and small earrings, wedding band, painted toes...I feel lovely!!!
8. I just bought a big sun hat- I feel so Audrey!!! I also made my first apron so I am wearing that around.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Heather ~~ Now you will have to dye your hair red also :) !!! I am glad you are protecting yourself from the sun!!! Aprons and Hats!!!!! I really like the direction you are going in ~~ lol!!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Nope going natural on the old hair color...want to see the real color of my hair for the first time in...ummm...17 years??? I decided just to go all Farmgirl crazy!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Heather, you go girl! You should be very proud of yourself! Ahhhh, simplicity...heaven! Love the lip gloss & painted toes...hummm, a pearl necklace sounds nice that would go along with your pretty new apron! Now, I am off to make some cookies! Thanks for your inspiration Heather!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:33:17 PM  Show Profile
My mom gave me a book yesterday called Your Household Guide 1001 tips from 1951.. cool tips and the way they are written- so beaver cleaver. just love it.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
sounds like fun! i miss some of the simple things that were just part of life when i lived in the country...mostly hanging out my laundry. that was my daydream time. i'm really proud of you for making a commitment to looking nice to start your day, it makes the whole world seem more beautiful. btw...my toe nails are wild thing green today.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:38:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by catscharm74

well as close as I can get. In the spirit of being more frugal and more kind to the world around me, I decided to really think hard about what I do each day that could be done better, more frugal, without, homemade, slower...Here is what I am working on...
1. Hang out laundry.
2. Take shower at night, turning water off between soaping, rinsing, setting my hair at night (no blow dryer to run)
3. Turning a/c off at a certain temperature outside. Using box fans to keep things cool and comfy.
4. Redecorating the house with things I already have. Bought one can of spray paint and some thread and already can re-do 5 things.
5. Freeze, bulk buy and do simple meals as much as possible. No more fast food. Eating out will be special and in a real restaurant. No more processed foods.
6. Playing outside with Charlie and the dog. Finding delight in reading, coloring with chalk on the sidewalks, chasing a ball, tag, sipping sweet tea/lemonade.
7. Making sure I am neat and perty to start my day- clean face, mascara, lip gloss and small earrings, wedding band, painted toes...I feel lovely!!!
8. I just bought a big sun hat- I feel so Audrey!!! I also made my first apron so I am wearing that around.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90

well heather, I am so proud of you! WTG. I made my first batch of dishwasher soap, and working on liquid. I would love to turn off the a/c but dh won't have it, he wants to be comfy, but I have fans going. I think I was born in the wrong era. I don't look good in hats though!

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:45:06 PM  Show Profile
I would like the recipe for dishwasher soap, I am tired of paying a fortune for it at the grocery. Is it easy? expensive to make??

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Heather, that sounds so lovely! Simplicity does wonders for improving the quality of life, and I really love #6 and #7 on your list, especially.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Heather-

Glad you added the part about being perty and all...so important when you live a simple lifestyle because you can begin to feel sloppy and not so pretty when you have your hands in the dirt, climb into the henhouse, haul laundry in and out.....it's nice to see yourself at the end of the day and realize, gee I don't look so bad!! It really boosts the spirits! And our husbands like to see us done up and feeling good about ourselves.

I also am in the process of going "natural" in the haircolor arena. I have found that I actually love my hair and the grays make me feel so mature! I don't mind them at all. Of course, it helps that I don't exactly look my age and no one can believe I have a son turning 21 this summer!

Love to all-
Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  2:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Heather I wanna play tooo! it sounds lovely. I really gotta work on the cocktail waist part :P but simplicity is better, really can't help but be. Tire swings, playing ball, an old red wagon, side walk chalk and skipping rope. I love the look you describe, too fun!

Hugs! you are an inspiration

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  2:30:06 PM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful Heather! But I gotta leave the A/C on here as we are 100+ all week :0. I live on a culdesac and when it cools down in the eveing the kids get out the bikes scooters ect and ride all around, I am gonna get some chalk today. I just cut off my hair and have not used the hairdryer in a week!!! My toes are a lovley shade of blue (from the 4th) with red stars I did myselef :)

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the perfect solution to counter the rising cost of things.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds great! I am going to have to buy that book and also the "Home Comforts" book as well! Doug and I both often reference the 1950's lifestyle- however- I do want to point one thing out. I am a product of the modern age and I can't ever see myself taking a backseat to ANYTHING as per my husband's opinion. We make decisions as a team and rarely will one of us put our foot down about something. :D But I'm all for taking the very best that previous eras had to offer and incorporating it into our life!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH I agree- it wasn't the best of times for women but I am taking their essence and guts and taking that away with me. Just TRY and let my hubby tell me WHAT to do (within boundaries). Ha!!! He would be sleeping with the dog REAL quick... : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Hey Heather...would never suggest you continue to dye your hair....just thought being you were feeling "So Audrey", ya might want to try my hair color too ... your natural color is ofcourse the very best!!!! Your List sounds great!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Audrey- I used to be a hairdresser when I first graduated from high school and let's just say I was the test subject from black to bleach...I do love reds but they fade so easily and now with my...ahem...whites...or angel kisses....it fades to a lovely lite pink...grrrrr.... HA!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  8:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I made roughly the same pledge to myself...DH is welding a set of T-bars for my clothes line tomorrow. Right now our A/C unit is out of commission, but it has made me feel like a kid again--we never had full blowing A/C, only for 3-4 hours a day--enjoying the fresh air in the mornings. The afternoons get warm, but nothing that can't be handled. Simple life is nice, isn't it?

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  03:39:02 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking a lot lately about how much I love the 1940s-50s era as well. Perhaps its because I love simpler times and simpler things....I've become addicted to listening to the Radio Classics channel on Sirius...I love those old radio shows! I could listen to those forever and never turn my TV on again!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  03:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel,

Me too! Love those shows. Jack Benny is my favorite show of all. They just don't make them wonderful like that any more.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  05:27:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm on the same line you all are, I cut my hair and have not used hairspray or hairdryer in about a month. Yea! I'm also trying to get Dh to put my clothes line up I've gotten the materials just need a little help to get it up. I cut my a/c off in the am untill as late as I can stand it. I also want to make the laundry detg. and dishwashing soap. Oh! I've not used my dishwasher in about a month, I started hand washing everything. I was thinking yesterday about getting cloth napkins to use so I dont have to buy paper a green thing I guess. I feel like I've taken a small step anyway. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  06:41:07 AM  Show Profile
curious as to how many of you gurlz actually lived through the 1950's?

what are your actual remembrances of those times?

all eras have their good thangs and their not-so-good thangs. i was a child in the 50's and as a child .. i felt SAFE compared to today's world. and i think it is soooooooooooooo important for children to grow up feeling SAFE!

i'm not so sure that things were really all that great for all women with a 'liberated soul' .. not sure i would have wanted to be an ADULT housewife living in the 50's .. although i'm sure that most families were not 'the Nelson Family' (as portrayed on TV .. have any of you seen Kristen Nelson's WONDERFUL folk art painting book and stories (OUT OF MY MIND) .. of her life with the NELSON FAMILY during the 1950's?) .. or LEAVE IT TO BEAVER? so much of TV was fictionalized lives .. i think that is why shows like ROSEANNE were so popular .. it showed the UPS and DOWNS of real family life .. people could relate and not feel 'inferior'.

i was raised by two very STRONG women .. one married .. she was the Vice President of a major publishing firm in Washington, D.C. and made it into the Who's Who of Women each year .. a tiny wisp of a little woman (my Auntie Em that i often write of) .. and my Nannie (Emma's older sister) who never married .. but worked from 5 p.m. to midnight at the telephone company all her life. i owe much of my 'strength as a woman' .. my love of family and people .. to them as '50's women'!

love your list miz heather .. especially the 'being pretty' one. i think most of us (well, me anyhoo) always feel 'better' .. when i am feeling like i look my best.

family and friends gatherings are a wonderful childhood memory i have that i have carried forward with me during my lifetime.

what are some other 50's things you gurlz have brought with you or adopted over the years?

even in the city .. my nannie always hung our laundry on the clothesline ... i hang certain things .. but LOVE my electric DRYER too!

don't do the turning on and off of the shower thingie though .. love the feel of cool water on my hot body in the summertime ... or warm water on my cold body in the wintertime.

i still even 'run under the sprinkler' .. that is a great childhood memory of mine! (i've been known to sit down and play in mud puddles too if there are children around .. they delight in joining me!)

OH .. i am NOT going back to sleeping in those 'torture device hair ROLLERS'!!

i remember discovering 'blue jeans' in the 50's .. and 'pedal pushers' .. i still love jeans and love that 'pedal pushers' (known today as CAPRI's) are back!!!

i miss a lot of things from the late 60's and early 70's too. that glorious HIPPIE era! .. what a fun topic! brings back so many warm memories! xo

heather .. some of the things on your list sound delightful to me .. and those are the things we can STILL do today .. doesn't have to be an 'era' ... i, too, ADORE AIR CONDITIONING .. i can remember many hot, sweaty nights .. but as a child .. i don't remember minding them as much as i would TODAY!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  06:42:42 AM  Show Profile
oh .. p.s. i could hardly wait until i was old enough to BLEACH my hair .. and have never stopped! it's back to reddish now with yellow streaks .. but i see my own darker roots peeking through .. i think i might go get some dark brown 'frosting' .. i love COLOR in my hair for different seasons and holidays!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  07:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I love all your ideas! And I would love to get the book ~ 1000 tips, but gotta add, I grew up in the 50"s (& 60's) ~ I know, I am older than dirt! It was a wonderful time, a time of innocense (sp ?), that we have lost today. But those women you describe, (as for my mom & aunts) they weren't quite so "downtrodden, walkon, etc." as you seem to suspect. They were quite good at making their husbands think they were the ones calling the shots. They were grand at smiling and honoring their husbands in public and gently changing their minds in private. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, they were such charming ladies.

Yesterday, I had to go out of town, and had a lot of time while driving to "think." When my cousin who is a year older than me was about 13, he and I would change places for a couple of weeks during the summer. Our parents would let us take the bus (because of the experience and it was cheap) and we travelled alone, about a 110 mile trip. I was remembering and thinking, I wouldn't let one of mine travel by bus now, for nothing. But you know, we didn't worry back then.

We grew up watching Sky King and Fury on Saturday mornings. Had to clean house every Saturday, did the wash every Monday. Went to the show on Saturday evenings, ate with relatives on Sundays after church. There was always cousins around (my sister & I were the only girls on either side), so we went to football games on Friday nights in the fall and played football in the backyard after dinner on Sundays. We made homemade ice cream (crank method), which had to set. This involved covering it with old rugs and quilts and one of us kids sitting on it ~ maybe it was a timeout and we didn't know it! We ate watermelon in the backyard with the neighbors and got washed off with the water hose. I grew up in a small town and you respected everyone's parents (because they felt free to correct you and then get on the phone and call your mama!).

We would sit in a bed of clover for hours, looking for a four-leaf clover. We played kickball or would just try to throw the ball over the house to each other. We learned to cook early and when we were about 11 learned to build a crystal radios, which if you got the bed by the window, you could go to sleep listening to the local radio station.

There was a "quality" to the time spent together and there was a sense of communtiy, whether you were in town or out in the country. While I was in grade school, I only remember one child whose parents got divorced. When I went back to college, I did a paper comparing then and now. In my oldest daughter's class, there were only two students (my daughter being one) who's parents had not divorced. Three of those in her class of 42 students, were being raised by relatives other than their parents and two were in foster care. That's sad.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas and the memories! Keep those toenails shinning!

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I LOVE THIS!!! The 1950s eh...

I often wander back to the thoughts and lifestyles of a woman in that era...And do you know what it gets me? SIMPLICITY and ORGANICS Which both of these things have brought a healthier life to my family! We (society) complicate too much stuff! I'm not saying we have to be June Clever or anything as I still work outside of the home 50+ hours a week....but simple and organic is cool and easy to manage.

How about those indoor farmers!!!
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I love your list! I was reading everyones posts and I remember in the late 50's, early 60's my church would sell sets of greeting cards door-to-door and we had no fear of doing that. Also on Halloween we went way far from our own house, and never was afraid something would happen to us. I rode my bike about 5 blocks to the 5 and dime store for comic books and candy.
Today, I can't let the kids in my family who come for a visit even out to play without going out too so I can keep an eye on them (lots of drugs invading my neighborhood). How sad!

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm moving back to the 1950's.. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page