Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 I'm sad today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic I'm sad today Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  2:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My new friend that I just met this week in the bookstore (has a daughter a bit older than Nora) didn't call me back yesterday (we had a tenative playdate) but today she called. She got some horrible news yesterday. Her sister was found shot to death and the authorities still aren't quite sure what happened. She is leaving for Alabama today but wants to get together when she gets back.

We just met so I don't want to be to pushy in offering comfort, but my heart aches for her. I want to do something for her, but I don't yet know her likes/dislikes. What would you do? I am thinking of putting together a basket of cookies when she calls me, but what else should I include? I have only met her the once and didn't know her sister.

I feel like violent crime rips at the fabric of our world and it affects us all. I could hear the pain and grief in her voice and it kills me that I can't go help her like _right now_.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  2:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alee

All I can say is...wow...I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself and then I read your post and it straightened my head out real quick. I am going through a divorce and it is his weekend to have my two kids...my kids are my world so I was just moping around...anyway...

Any food is always a wonderful offering when someone is going through a rough time. Most people like italian so ziti or lasagna is good and can be heated quick when she is having a bad day and doesn't want to cook. I'm sure she is gonna have a lot of bad days before she is able to work through this horrible tragedy.

Makes me want to call my sister. She is a NY city police officer and I worry bout her all the time. Guess lesson learned is to hold close the friends and family in our lives...never let a day go by without saying ,"I love you", or "You are such an important part of my life"

Good luck with your new friend...she is lucky to have someone like you who already seems to care so much....friends are hard to come by as we get older...seems like you came into her life just when she needed you most...

Try and have a nice weekend with your family
Peace
Jenn

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't know Alee, some baked goods and a nice card seem like that would be enough since you just met her. My heart aches for her too, this world can be a pretty rough place. You could include the recipe if you wanted to. I'm so sorry that this happened to your new friend.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
If she is struggling when she gets back from Alabama, maybe you could babysit to give her some down time? Or is she wants to meet for a playdate, that may be a good time for her just to get out of the house and "vent" a little.

My prayers and thoughts are with her and her family.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  3:03:24 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about your new friend. I with Jenn I think you found her at a perfect time to help her. Maybe some hot tea to go with the cookies. Saying a prayer for your friend. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  3:11:31 PM  Show Profile
my husbands uncle was murdered 3days before Christmas 3 Christmases ago. They were really close. The biggest thing he needed was just someone to talk to. Try asking her. Tell her you really don't know what to do to help but you are willing to do some cooking, cleaning, watch the baby or just being a friend that is willing to listen. I'll say a prayer for you and her.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  3:20:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

My new friend that I just met this week in the bookstore (has a daughter a bit older than Nora) didn't call me back yesterday (we had a tenative playdate) but today she called. She got some horrible news yesterday. Her sister was found shot to death and the authorities still aren't quite sure what happened. She is leaving for Alabama today but wants to get together when she gets back.

We just met so I don't want to be to pushy in offering comfort, but my heart aches for her. I want to do something for her, but I don't yet know her likes/dislikes. What would you do? I am thinking of putting together a basket of cookies when she calls me, but what else should I include? I have only met her the once and didn't know her sister.

I feel like violent crime rips at the fabric of our world and it affects us all. I could hear the pain and grief in her voice and it kills me that I can't go help her like _right now_.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Alee, I am sorry. For the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicated. Is. 49:13. I will be praying for your friend and you. Loss and so suddenly is so devastating. It's wonderful that God put you in her life at just the right moment. She has lost her sister and you can be her farmgirl sister- it will take time but she will need you to lean on. I would put food, maybe some candles, maybe a devotional book, journal and a neat pen that she can write her thoughts down in, a hankie- she will need that. I can't think of anything else right now. You are a good friend. hugs

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  4:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the great ideas ladies! I am not sure how long she will be in Alabama for so maybe I will make some cookies this weekend and freeze them for when she gets back.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile
How awful! For both of you. I've been through my share of loss and for me, when people didn't know what to say or do, the food idea was nice. My brother was found deceased in his home several years ago (my only sib) and it was such a shock. Several people from work did different things. Not to say that they weren't really welcome and needed at the time, but comfort just wasn't in my vocabulary for a long time. I vote for the casserole idea...came in very handy for my family when I was away dealing with my brother's things and again when I was home but had no energy to cook. Offering to take my kids for a bit to a play date was one I appreciated..although, that was one that didn't work so well because my oldest didn't want to leave my side. I think because you are just "new" friends, food is probably the best. She will let you know I'm sure what she needs. She even said that she wants to get together when she gets back. That's a sign that she'll need someone not so close to, to talk about details with. It was very hard to discuss my fears and anger/frustration with family members. Everyone was in such pain and everyone just assumed that I would be the "rock" for all of them. My hubby has never been one to be able to "listen" to that kind of stuff. (he leaves the room when a hospital/cop show is on) My father pretty much fell apart and of course, those things are not something you discuss with children. So, having someone who you can really let loose with will probably help tremendously. Be gentle with yourself too.... You can always bring it back here if you need too.

I am grateful. I have enough.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  7:31:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm so very sorry. It is just too much. Treasure every moment. I don't think a basket of cookies is too pushy. I think it's perfect. If you really want to do more, maybe a sweet card or note that lets her know your thoughts. She's no different from us except she doesn't know you yet. What better than the kindness of a relative stranger to remind her of the good in the world after experiencing something so tragic? Bless your big heart, Alee!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  9:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Since you met her at a book store, maybe a small book or a gift card for a book.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  05:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Lord,

We pray for this family. God speed to the woman who was shot and we pray that she sits by Your side in heaven. We ask that You bring comfort and peace to the family and surround them with Your loving light.

In Jesus' name we pray,
Amen

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic I'm sad today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page