Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 JUST FINISHED"BEFORE GREEN GABLES"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic JUST FINISHED"BEFORE GREEN GABLES" Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  12:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Can't say enough about this book. It was such a good read. I just want everyone to read it.So well written and such a nice story.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  3:34:19 PM  Show Profile
That is good information to know. I have always loved all the other books. I remember reading all of her Emily books too, Emily of New Moon is the only title i remember, but I always remember my tiny mother taking me to this big used bookstore in a barn every summer and i would always hunt for the L.M.Montgomery books. Nothing is nicer than having a great new book, unless it is rereading an old favorite. I have boxes and boxes of my books, and more boxes of my mother's out in the barn. I guess I have my private used book barn....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Jul 03 2008 3:34:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile
I love all of L.M. Montgomery's books. They are classic, timeless and wonderful.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile
I just picked up three of the Anne books recently. "Anne of Windy Poplars" "Anne's House of Dreams" and "Anne of Ingleside" I've only ever read the first "Anne" book, but these are pretty good-- at least what I've read so far. Though, is it just me, or is it a little hard to follow these books in some places? I guess it's just that people spoke differently in the time these books were written. Or else I'm a total dunce!

Hey! Did you ladies know that they are working on the MOVIE that goes with the new "Anne" book? The cast is all chosen. I'm not sure if they've started filming just yet, but you can go on Sullivan Entertainment's website and find out. I can't wait to see it!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  5:30:59 PM  Show Profile
kARIN,
I think I would love to go in your barn!!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  06:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Glad to know it's a good one. I've heard lots of good reviews. I was pretty nervous as I am a die-hard Anne-girl fan.

Tracy- good for you for reading more into the series! One of my favourites is her last one in the Anne series about her daughter- "Rilla of Ingleside". It takes place during World War One. Gosh, is it a roller coaster of emotions. It never fails to make me cry, and the ending always fills me silly romantic smiles.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  11:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Our tiny little library just down the road has the whole "Anne" series I think. I also think I remember seeing "Rilla of Ingleside" on one of the shelves in the Juvinile section. I will have to get it when I'm done with "Anne's tales!"

Yes, I still read kids books. Isn't that silly?! But there is just something so sweet and innocent about how they are written. There is the "MYSTERY" of romance in the more "mature" teen books (like the Anne of Green Gables books). I DO like my adult Historicals, but some of those books are just plain trashy and I prefer NOT to read that kind of book. I guess that's why I like the OLDER romances (like Kathleen Woodiwiess, and some others). They leave more to the imagination than laying out all the sordid details that take place behind closed doors. I mean, come on -- I'm married (and have been for nearly 18yrs!). I KNOW what happens!! I don't need to READ about it!! (oh my, am I BLUSHING??? LOL!!!) uhummm.... Anyway.... I'll check out the other LMMG books. Thanks Meg!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Tracy! I love reading kid's books too :) In fact, most of my favourite books are kid's books. (The Secret Garden, AOGG, The Primrose Way, Seven Daughters and Seven Sons..) I just read 'The Long Winter' by Laura Ingalls yesterday.. love it!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  9:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Yeah! So I'm not the only "Little Girl at Heart" around here! I've read most of the Little House series as an adult and I STILL love the tv show! I have several of the Videos and DVD's. I also have ALL of the Anne of Green Gables movies, ALL of it's "spin off" Road to Avonlea (well, most of the episodes anyway!) and so many other sweet period movies (Little Woman too!!)

I've never heard of "The Primrose Way" or the "Seven Daughters" and "Seven Sons." What are they about and who are the authors?

Oh, and you know what else? I love those books that were written in the early 80's-- One of the authors was Meg Cameron. There were several books about young teenage "women" and the journey's that brought them to full womenhood. One was called "Wild Prairie Sky". That one was my favorite. it was about a girl who was kidnapped by indians and they "adopted" her. She fell in love with a young warrior in their Village named "Blue Quail" who was also WHITE, but had been captured when he was very young, adopted by the tibe and raised in their ways. There was also one about a girl during the Civil war, another that was traveling on a ship (Reckless Hearts-- I still have that one) and a couple others. I found them on Ebay and Amazon, but one book is sellng for over $60!!! The whole set (about 5 or 6 books) for nearly $300!!! Anyone else ever read any of those books?

PS Meg, did you really read The Long Winter in just ONE day?

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  09:03:03 AM  Show Profile
The Primrose Way by Jackie French Koller
http://www.amazon.com/Primrose-Way-Jackie-French-Koller/dp/015200372X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215789591&sr=8-1
Story set in 1633 of a young Puritan woman who learns, when translating for the local Powhatan Natives, that she is the mistress of her soul and can control her destiny..

Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen and Bahija Lovejoy
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Daughters-Sons-Barbara-Cohen/dp/0688135633/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215790611&sr=1-1
Story set in the ancient middle east about one of the seven daughters of a poor man cursed with only daughters (his rich brother has only sons). Buran convinces her father to take a chance on her and disguises herself as a man to become a prosperous merchant. Trouble arises when she falls in love with the Prince of Tyre, and she races away to avoid him learning of her deceit. Will he find her and forgive her?

Yep - I did read Long Winter in one day. I'm a bit of a binge reader and go through books like candy :)

Those books you mentioned sound really neat. Those stories sound right up my ally too!
If you like wilderness/native american/romance genre, try the Into the Wilderness series by Sara Donati. They are fabulous.
http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wilderness-Sara-Donati/dp/0553578529/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215791955&sr=1-1
The main character is an English spinster school teacher who falls in love with a backwoodsman raised partially by the mohawk and mahicans.

Happy Reading!

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Meg! I'll have to check them out!

I USED to be able to read an entire novel in just one day too, but I can't stay up that late anymore. One of drawbacks of getting older I guess. Also, there are waaaay too many chores needing my attention nowdays. I CAN read a good book in 2-3 days, but it usually means I emerge from the process to a REALLY messy house, weeds going crazy in the garden and critters knee deep in poop! (it's amazing how many "pebbles" come out of miniature sheep and goats!) ~~sigh~~ Anyway, I will look for those books. Thanks again! (and YES, I LOVE historicals of every kinds!) Hugs to you ~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  11:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Oh Tracy, I know!!!! I used to be the same- but as a teacher with (more or less pet) goats..... it feels like I haven't seen an adult book for quite a while. I resorted to audiobooks but it is not the same.

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Did L.M. Montgomery write the new Anne book?

I'm always afraid to read pre/sequels by other authors on my favorite books ever since I read Scarlett. It's just not the same.

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  06:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Nancy for bringing this book to my attention. It was a superb read. I can't remember the last time a book touched me so much. I cried several times through it. The author did a superb job on researching L. M. Montgomery's "Anne" series. She did an excellent job of explaining to us Anne's background and what made her the strong individual she was by the time she got to Green Gables. I hope everyone takes time out to read this superb book.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  09:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh you gals are right up my alley and thanks for all the wonderful recommendations! I am right now reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's FARM BOY....my daughter lent them to me and she and I both LOVE children's books and movies!
I want to read Before Green Gables too but I don't think it was written by L.M.Montgomery but Nancy who is the author?
I'm getting backlogged with my list so I guess I'll just have to place an order today....Tee Hee....so "bad and mad" about books!
Does anyone read more than one at a time? I'm terrible but try to only read one fiction, one non-fiction and then a magazine or 2 at the same time...right now I am reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegeatble, Mineral (excellent if you haven't read it! About our "food-chain"), then Farm Boy by Laura Wilder, O magazine and Small Farm Journal. Thanks again everyone!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  07:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, The author of "Before Green Gables" is Budge Wilson. I hope you get to read it again soon. I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder series too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  9:58:43 PM  Show Profile
I read this because of all your posts! It was a first Anne book for me and I loved it!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  07:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh Josie, I'm so glad you liked it - now you have to read the rest, the Anne books are so wonderful!

http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I'm with Farrah, it's always been my way to not read pre/sequels,I have always been disappointed and it has ruined the original for me...I don't even want to see the movies made out of my favorite books,I like to keep my own thinks about how the characters look and how they are. I like to use my brain to picture it all...silly I guess...Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  9:01:07 PM  Show Profile
I have the "first" book to read now. It took the libary forever to get it

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic JUST FINISHED"BEFORE GREEN GABLES" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page