Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Help needed with living room redecorating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help needed with living room redecorating Next Topic  

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  11:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Not sure where to put this, so it's going here!
Our house backs into a rock bluff and in the winter it can be like living in a cave...neighbors across the road hog all our sunshine!! Our living room is dark, cheap paneling and I really, really want to change it. Drywalling is not an option and the folks that lived here before put a gazillion nails into it so painting it would be a two year project just to fill all the holes. Has anyone had any luck putting that paintable wallpaper over paneling??? I really need some help to brighten up this dark room. Ideas??

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I've been there, Diane! When we moved into our little house, the living room had dark dark brown paneling -- almost black -- and orange shag carpeting. Oh, and fake 'beams', also dark brown, across the ceiling. There are no windows on the south side or east side; just a big sliding patio door on the west. Well, after our pipes froze one winter and took out the ceiling (believe it or not, the pipes went through the unheated attic space! no basement; just a crawl space), our insurance company replaced the ceiling and the carpeting. So before the new carpet went in, we painted Kilz on the paneling (two coats) and then two or three coats of white paint (not pure white; a little tiny color in it). The carpet is now kind of oatmeal color. In the section where the ceiling did not have to be replaced, we painted the dark beams white as well. What a difference! I would never hesitate to paint paneling -- I've done it in our kitchen as well, and added a chair rail-type trim so it looks like wainscoating (sp?). Our paneling has groves in it and lots of wood grain, so it looks really fabulous painted. Maybe this is not what you can do, but -- anyone out there with awful dark grained paneling -- paint it!!! Diane -- is your paneling smooth/no grooves? Otherwise I don't know whether you could use paintable wallpaper. Also, be sure that the stain in the paneling would not bleed through the wallpaper -- I had glue leftover from cheap paneling in my son's bedroom bleed through new wallpaper. You may have to prime with Kilz or Binz. Maybe someone else has wallpapered over paneling -- I just had to jump in with my paint experience. Good luck to you!
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:16:41 PM  Show Profile
I would get some kilz paint from Home Depot and Paint a light color. I would also leave all the holes there and do some sort of faux treatment like sponging or rolling. That way they won't show so much and it could give a real rustic flavor.

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:35:51 PM  Show Profile
I have painted my dark paneling in my living room several times... it took a couple coats initially, but was such an improvement. I too don't have any east windows and only one south window (with trees that block a good portion of the light) and two west windows.... so light colored walls are imperative. It can feel so hole-ish in there, even with light walls. I often have the lamps turned on in the middle of the day. Go for it Diane!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Clare, I have lamps on in the middle of the day, too. It's like a little cave in here -- but with the light colors, a cozy cave. Add a cat or two and a cup of tea --> heaven!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Paint, paint, paint! Skip that horrid paintable wallpaper! We pulled down a whole house full one time and you want to talk about YUCK!I agree that you need to prime the panelling and paint a light color.I can't remember who but someone had a paint that had light reflective qualities. Does anyone know what I mean? I think there was an additive to the paint that made the walls "brighter". We love old barn board right? Well that has lots of "holes" so I say FOOEY! to patching, let it be rustic and distressed! If it's really bad... combing, or graining ,even marblizing paint techniques will hide a multitude of sins! A light scuff sanding and primer will be the key to your success. Good Luck and have fun ! Don't be afraid to try it, it's only paint!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  4:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Katie & Tania...kilz is a primer? Is it odorless?
Ok girls, you've given me the drive to just do it. I'm really interested in the paint that you mention too Bramble...one that reflects light?
I'm like you too Clare, always have to have lights on even when the sun is shining outside.
It's supposed to start raining again tomorrow, so might just seize the opportunity to start.
Thanks guys, you're the best.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Best thing to do for painting paneling.....WASH it first with TSP (trisodium phosphate) available at Home Depot or Lowe's. It slightly etches the surface so the new paint can adhere to it. If you skip this step the paint is m0re likely to chip or peel.Then follow with Kilz as a primer.I have repaired more walls, hung up and taken off wallpaper, and painted more paneling that you can imagine on the last 30 years. Paint it the cheapest, easiest way to go!Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  8:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Whatever Diane said -- ditto!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  04:05:35 AM  Show Profile
There's two Kilz available. Kilz 2 has less odor and easier cleanup. Ditto the TSP wash. I am not familiar with a paint that reflects light -- I painted a flat finish our first time through (17 years ago); last fall, I repainted the living/family room with an eggshell finish, which is more reflecty and easier to wipe down if need be. It looks great.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  04:26:28 AM  Show Profile
We did the same - dark paneling, used Kilz and Ralph Lauren eggshell paint in "Dune White" - a creamy color. Put in red oak floors and this place is beautiful now!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  04:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Diane-
If you want to get a more "rustic" look, trowel on sheetrock mud. It gives a nice texture, will hide your millions of nail holes, and you can paint it as well. ( I would recommend that if you have children, otherwise they will find a way to pick it off the wall!!)
Good luck with your decorating!!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and I painted over paneling in our previous house. Believe it or not, brown panelling was on our sunroom walls! He went over it all with a light rubbing of sandpaper, before we put kilz and paint on it, to allow the paint to grab on. It roughed the surface just enough to help. Then the paint and the kilz were a little sheer, so the end result was a shabby look that I loved for the porch.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  06:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh Girls!!! While wandering around Home Depot last night with DH, I discovered ...tinted Kilz! Primer and base coat all in one! Who could ask for more! That will be a great way to get the dark out of the panelling quickly! Then you can see where you want to go color wise for the finish coat ( I like eggshell finish too! Easier to clean if need be!). As for the brightener paint...DH said he remembers it too, thinks it had something added "sparkly" and finely ground that made the surfaces reflect "brighter". He thinks it was mostly used on ceilings but had seen it on walls also.Happy painting!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help needed with living room redecorating Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page