Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic organic lawn fertilizer Next Topic  

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile
It's that time of year again to do fall fertilizing on the lawn. We've just mowed, hopefully for one of the last times this season I'm trying to do everything organically now. I've wanted to for a long time but had to use up some stuff I already had (that may sound bad but that stuff is expensive and I don't like to waste). So now that I've managed to use stuff up, what do you use as an organic fall fertilizer on your lawn?

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:51:43 AM  Show Profile
I use Ringers, from Home Depot.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  5:24:13 PM  Show Profile
ok thanks Nancy. I'll have to look and see if our Home Depot sells it. Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  07:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Well I checked out out Home Depot and of course they don't have Ringers. So I started checking online and found this place called Clean Air Gardening Supply. The website is www.cleanairgardening.com . The prices seem pretty good and they have a variety of different fertilizers, it may be of interest for someone else!! Happy Fall Gardening everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  09:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Try www.gardensalive.com .

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  09:48:29 AM  Show Profile
I bought a bag of Ringer's at my Home Depot three weeks ago. Maybe they carry different products regionally?

Susan
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  09:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Yeah maybe, that's what I was thinking. Oh well there is a family owned nursery here that says they sell a whole range of organic supplies on the website. I really like that place but they are A LOT more expensive than the other places, I have no idea how they even stay in business.
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  6:10:49 PM  Show Profile
If you want to go organic, I support the idea of disposing of the non-organic stuff rather than using it up. To me, using it just because it was expensive is kind of like eating food you don't want or need just because it's there. With the food, I figure the choice is: put it in the trash can or put it on my hips (or worse, around my arteries!). Given those choices, it suddenly becomes real easy to throw it away (or compost it.) With chemical fertilizers, the benefits to not using them start the minute you dispose of them! (and check your garbage company about the best way to dispose of garden chemicals.)

My organic lawn tips: leave the grass clippings on the grass to decompose (that's nitrogen) and rake in some good organic compost or bagged planting mix/mulch in spring and fall. Just rake it across the grass and water it in. Look for something with earthworm castings and other good organic ingredients. Set the blade on the mower a bit higher to conserve water and encourage roots to grow deeper and crowd out weeds naturally.

I love Gardens Alive's products, too.

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  8:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Bagged planting mix huh?? I've never thought of that. Of course I would have to buy a ton of it, my lawn is pretty large, might get expensive. I'll have to check it out though.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:46:21 PM  Show Profile
This place has a lot of the same things that Gardens Alive offers but seems to have better prices.
www.nitron.com

I'm going to order the corn gluten for the weeds in my lawn.

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  1:47:07 PM  Show Profile
The nice thing about the corn gluten is that not only does it stop the pre-emergent weeds from germination it also is a fertiliser and greens things right up. I use corn gluten in my vegie garden and around my berries.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that tip, Eileen. That just eliminates having to buy fertilizer!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic organic lawn fertilizer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page