Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 are you .. or have you ever been...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic are you .. or have you ever been... Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  7:07:54 PM  Show Profile
a vegetarian? we mostly only eat fish and chicken .. (o.k.! o.k.! you might catch me with a BIG MAC in my mouth every now and then!!)

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  7:12:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm a self-proclaimed "98%" vegetarian. I admit -- I eat a fish sandwich every now and then... and I ate two beef tacos last weekend because they got my order wrong and I was STARVING. But I'm swearing off fish, and beef isn't a normal occurance, so I guess I'm headed back towards being 100% veggie. I use meat substitutes all the time, though, so it doesn't take from my cooking too much.

USED to be vegan.... but now I'm rather attached to butter and eggs.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  7:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
No.. I try to eat non processed.. and more grass-fed beef, and free-range chicken ( hormone free).. and I try hard to eat more fruit, veggies, bread and grains then animal..... and I am more and more committed to eating "raw"... raw fruits, veggies and carrot juice....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  8:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I like meat...but for as much as I like meat I love fruits & veggies!!! Nothing is better than a whole wheat BLT with extra T!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  10:25:25 PM  Show Profile
I like a BLT with out the B&L. I guess I like A homegrown tomato sandwich. MMMmmmm. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  05:29:26 AM  Show Profile
I would be satisfied with fruits and vegetables all the time but my hubby would not be happy!!! He wants meat at every meal. We have a garden, some fruit trees and grow our own beef. Have already had fresh green beans, onions, beets and potatoes from the garden. Maybe it won't be long until there are tomatoes.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  06:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I was about 12-16, I was and then on and off, mostly during when I was having some health problems and wanted to eat "clean". I like a good steak now and then but don't cook it myself, rather go out. I can do alot with chicken and I am attempting some fish dishes.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  7:00:14 PM  Show Profile
reminds me of two little nieces i have (sisters) .. neither has eaten any animal or animal by-products since they were tiny children. they are adults now with children of their own. it's all about 'animals' for them. i sure do respect them for their beliefs .. but i have surely not walked in their path.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
No - I am a carnivore - even thought I should eat more veggies and fruit!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  8:04:28 PM  Show Profile
We eat a lot of chicken, some beef, seafood (my husband and boys love fish-- I'll pass) and very little pork. Pork just tastes strange to me anymore. I'm not sure what it is. My husband agrees, though we do eat a little bacon or sausage now and then, and our youngest son LOVES ham! He even gets a little canned ham in his Christmas stocking every year! (LOL) But we don't eat ham very often either.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  06:05:03 AM  Show Profile
I suppose I'm what's called a 'flexitarian', lol. I don't eat seafood (can't stand the stuff, ick), and I haven't eaten beef for a decade or so. First, it was for health reasons, and then as I read more about the beef industry. I've only now decided that I will eat it in small amounts if it comes from my Mennonite butcher (organic, grass-fed etc.) and I will get the occasional steak for the fella from the butcher too.
We do eat pork and chicken (my fella, like most men, wants meat every day). And we eat a lot of dairy and eggs.

I really like trying different kinds of 'wild' meat - buffalo, moose, duck etc. If I knew a hunter 'round here I would definitely buy venison for the freezer!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  06:33:59 AM  Show Profile
I was a strict vegetarian for 8-9 years for a number of reasons, mostly the way our meat was grown/harvested/processed. I went to a performing arts school where we were VERY into "anti" and the vegetarian thing made a whole lot of sense to me...

Now, I just eat responsibly. We don't eat a lot of beef, but when we do, it's grass fed and responsibly (and locally) raised and processed. Same with chicken and turkey. We do eat fish about 2 times a week...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile
I eat from all of the food groups--beef, lamb, chicken, pork and fish.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
My brother is a vegetarian and does really good at it. 90 percent of the time, like you, I will eat chicken and fish, but occaisionally I will ..(I had good ol' spaghetti yesterday! I crave mine (which is actually my mom's)), and this weekend, I think we'll be having burgers... I just feel better not having red meat. If I could get organic, I would, but it's way too expensive for me. :-/
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  6:47:09 PM  Show Profile
I've been a vegetarian for an entire week now. After 15+ years of violent stomach pains and hours in the bathroom after eating dinner, I started to put together that it was meat that was making me sick. (Nights that I didn't have meat resulted in zero stomach pain.) 8 days into my vegetarian experiment I've discovered that I never have stomach problems or feel sick/bloated anymore. I don't know what it is about meat that makes me sick but I'm loving life without it! I am not even craving meat!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  7:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
That's how I feel! I completely stopped but now I can go back to having it in small increments. It's very hard to digest. :( But sometimes.... a farmgirl's just gotta have a good burger now and then, right!?!

quote:
Originally posted by RachelLeigh

I've been a vegetarian for an entire week now. After 15+ years of violent stomach pains and hours in the bathroom after eating dinner, I started to put together that it was meat that was making me sick. (Nights that I didn't have meat resulted in zero stomach pain.) 8 days into my vegetarian experiment I've discovered that I never have stomach problems or feel sick/bloated anymore. I don't know what it is about meat that makes me sick but I'm loving life without it! I am not even craving meat!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  7:27:44 PM  Show Profile
I've never been vegetarian and never considered it. I love meat. Especially the meat I get from the forest, especially fish. I don't really care for any birds, though. Not even chicken or turkey.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  10:25:21 PM  Show Profile
I always used to be vegetarian in the summer; never missed meat at all until the first cold day in October when I would wake up craving a rare steak. Now that I'm living with a carnivore we're eating meat a lot more than I want. We kind of compromise and eat mostly chicken, turkey, or fish every other night.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  03:41:38 AM  Show Profile
We get our meat from people we know.

If we had access to really fresh veggies all the time, a swich wouldn't be a problem. These days though, trying to find good quality produce is tough. And even then most is from out of the country and laced w/ all kinds of baddies. Couln't tell you the last time I ate grapes. I found out most pecaches and nectarines are flash frozen for shipping. No wonder thy are rock hard and don't ripen properly. We grow most of our own produce as the season dictates, and I know how to can for over abundances. This time of year is the best!

In college I hardly ate meat and really didn't miss it that much.

I'm more for supporting local farmers and their agri-businesses-- and for humane slaughter. (as in quick and painless)

I can't eat chicken anymore. I'll enjoy a sandwich or somewhere out to eat, but to just buy it from the butcher....it kills me and I have seen too many chicken trucks on the road with crates crammed full of chickens headed to the processing plants. Our adoptee rooster is a constant reminder. The poor thing is massive and even a year later still totters when he walks due to being so top heavy. So to that end, if I can find hormone free and pastured.....so much the better. Ironic thing is, we have 55 free ranging chickens of our own for eggs and have slaughtered some of the older ones. It's very tasty meat, but I'd rather give it away. For some reason it bothers me.

Kind of interesting how "most" hard core vegitarians or vegans haven't ever been exposed to the farm life and don't fully understand where ALL our food comes from. There are a few exceptions though....and to that I say hats off......

I know just one guy who was raised on a farm and says....."if it has a face, I won't eat it." interesting

Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile
We love our meat around here, although we've been taking steps to cut back on meat due to higher prices and health concerns. I've started eating vegetarian breakfasts/lunches, so I generally only eat one meat dish a day. I prefer free-range or grass-fed meat, but it's hard to come by here at a good price.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  10:10:07 AM  Show Profile
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years, and husband has been for more like 20. Just fed up with the waste, cruelty, and environmental impact of factory farming. I could see eating meat again if we had a small, local, humane source. But truthfully, it's been so long that it doesn't really seem like food anymore. Even a couple of years ago, I would go off the wagon and have a piece of my dad's barbecue. But now it's starting to gross me out.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile
We eat beef, chicken ,pork,fish,venison, more chicken than anything. But all of it. I love fish, shrimp, scallops and chicken could really just eat that. Hubby does not like fish so that is out.I always have that when we go out. We also eat a lot of vegetables,we both love them.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  3:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Amie, that's how I am with meat now. We went vegetarian back when I was little, so I was kind of raised without a lot of meat in meals. I'd still enjoy the occasional piece of chicken, or turkey at the holidays, or even some venison jerky every now and then. But now, I have a hard time seeing it as food, and I get a bit queasy when I do try to eat it. It's just not for me, I guess.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  4:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Lilwing - I'm really proud of myself...I haven't even wanted a hamburger or anything. The only meat item I'm craving is turkey breast cooked in the crockpot. It's my favorite.....but i'm really okay without meat. My tummy is happy!!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127

Edited by - RachelLeigh on Jul 02 2008 4:54:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile
when i 'm home I eat very little meat. I got off red meat about ten years ago. I found a very huge difference in my health, especially my monthly, course i stopped doing so much dairy then too. Once in a while I like a good burger, like once every six months, but if I am near my period I pay for it with bloating and cramps. Since my job has me on the road so much i do eat chicken, because in some of these places finding enough food to survive is not easy unless you eat meat. At home I buy chicken from a local farmer. I know how it is raised and what he doesn't give it. I don't miss meat much and eat mostly grains and veggies.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  5:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i am definately a meat eater!! we hunt moose and caribou and fish for salmon, grayling and halibut with the occasional pike thrown in for good luck. growing veggies in alaska is difficult at best and without meat and potatoes (which are the one thing that we have had great luck growing!) we would starve lol. we are also growing our own chickens (keeping 12 out of the 46 for eggs) and beef. soon we will have our own milk too when the cow freshens! i cant wait! if we can find a feeder pig at a reasonable price we will also grow our own pork. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic are you .. or have you ever been... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page