Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How do you know when to pick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How do you know when to pick Next Topic  

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  7:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Lavender? Mine is blooming and smells so good, but I have never been able to figure out when is the right time to pick, what do I pick, and how do I dry it?

Betty in Pasco

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  8:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Betty, Mine is beautiful as well.. I dont know if there is a perfectly right answer. I am harvesting now and will through the fall... I cut clusters at a time, tie with a ribbon and hang upside down to dry....once it is dry then I either keep it in the cluster or I beat it and seperate the flower from the stock and put into saches... OH hey, our farmers market is having a lavender festival July 12th.... we will have experts there sharing tricks to the trade.. we are only 20 minutes away.. come on over :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  9:36:30 PM  Show Profile
I have always heard (and followed) that you pick it just before it fully opens up...like "big bud stage" I guess...that's how I would describe it..no else's words..haha.
I hang bundles upside down to dry also..I think that is the most common way.
My husband is lucky enough to be going to the Young Living Lavender festival about an hour away tomorrow. I am jealous!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  11:24:13 PM  Show Profile
I pick mine once the top couple of flowers on the stem are open. The more you cut the stems the more new growth you will get. I try to pick mine first thing in the morning.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  09:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your tips. I have also found out that lavender doesn't like to be potbound and I have one in a pot that looks a bit stressed.

Heading outside to cut some lavender. Thanks so much again.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How do you know when to pick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page