Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What kind of chickens do you have
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What kind of chickens do you have Next Topic
Page: of 2

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering what kind of chickens you girls are having success with, which ones get broody, which set better, etc.

Edited by - MsCwick on May 23 2008 1:21:21 PM

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  2:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
Well, this will be my second time making this post, as during the first, our electric went out (we've got storms all around us!)
I have Rhode Island Reds. Having grown up with them as a child, I guess I'm keeping the tradition up. RIR's are good layers, usually an egg a day during the laying season, and still pretty prolific during the 'off season' (molting and winter). They can be both meat and egg birds, but don't ask for one to go broody, they aren't too fond of doing that, although you may have one that does eventually. They lay large brown eggs, with many of those being double yokers. I've just always been fond of them, like I said though, it's probably just because it's what my mom raised. GOOD LUCK on your choice of bird! There are LOTS of nice ones out there.

Sage,
The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
Hiding in the broom closet.
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  3:04:43 PM  Show Profile
I have one Barred Plymouth Rock and two RIR. I will be getting two Buff Orpingtons next week. We had RIR hens when I was growing up. My parents loved those chickens. They provided eggs for our family of 7 and the neighbors as well.
My little flock is not laying yet, but by the end of summer we will be getting eggs. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  6:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I have 4 buff orpingtons. I just got them 2 weeks ago. They seem very sweet. None are laying yet but I'll keep you posted.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  7:01:15 PM  Show Profile
HAH! so far I've got a rescued mixed breed Roo, who is quite the dandy and beautiful but worthless (I still love him), half Auricauna /half Brahma (sp?) I am hoping to get some auricauna hens , I also love Marans and Wyandottes a lot

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  7:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
The frozen kind............

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  7:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh Boy! I have been rasing chickens for at least 17yrs now. I've had quite a few different breeds over the years. Currently I have-- Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Blue Silkies, Standard Blue and Black Cochins, Cuckoo Marans, Black Jersey Giants, Americauna's, Dominiques (one of my Faves-- EXCELLENT layers and great moms!), 1 RIR hen (don't know how SHE got in the mix!) White and Dk Brown Leghorns--- Oh, and a Dk Brown Leghorn Rooster that moved over from the nieghbors house. Guess he liked MY hens better! (I have 5 that run loose) I have several banty breeds too== Millie Fluers and Porcelean D'Uccles (BEAUTIFUL little birds), Partridge Cochins, Silver Sea Brights, one Self Blue Dutch Bantam and a mystery bird I have not been able to identify. It's a very pretty little thing-- chocolate colored w/feathered legs, but it does not match any description that I can find on the bird sites. Anybody know what it might be?

I also have several mixed breed chickens and just had 23 chicks hatched out 3 days ago from two different hens (16 from one, 7 from the other) unfortunatley a NASTY rat got in my brooder box and killed 10 of them. 6 are being hen raised, and 7 escaped the reaper. 3 wks ago a family of Raccoons nabbed all but 5 of my laying hens from the hen house and I've had to start over again with all the birds listed above. I DO still have 5 adult hens, (besides the 5 rebels that won't stay confined), but two of them almost didn't make it. It was HORRIBLE!

Julie-- Are you're birds adults or chicks? If they are adults, it may take up to 30 days before they start to lay again. Any stress (such as moving them from one place to another, or if they are molting-- which they do TWICE a year, AND in times of severe stress) will cause them to stop laying for awhile. If they are chicks or juviniles, they won't lay until they are AT LEAST 20wks, but it depends on the breed. Some lay earlier than that, some later. Enjoy them! They're one of my favorite breeds! Tracy
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  7:51:46 PM  Show Profile
I have mutts, silkies, plymouth rock, black langshans, red dorking bantams, buttercups and I think that's it. I am ordering eggs for another breed but I can't remember it at the moment...I love silkies and plymouth rocks the others are a new experience for me, and I have read that the langshans are a breed that is slowly going by the wayside...so to keep that breed is going to mean something in a small way I suppose.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com/
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  8:11:27 PM  Show Profile
shepherdgirl two of my girls are only 9 weeks and two are 18 weeks so they just haven't started laying yet. I expect Francine and Claudia to start laying mid June! I'm super excited.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  9:50:51 PM  Show Profile
It's funny when they lay that "First" egg Julie. It's this teeny little tiny thing that doesn't look like it could come from such a big bird! I have kept several of those little oddities over the years. I have them in a little terra cotta pot on my kitchen windowsill along with some banty and turkey eggs.

Tasha-- How many Buttercups do you have? I had one little hen quite a few years ago. Frankly, I thought she was a little nuts! She was a good mama hen though, but I think the cats got her babies, then eventually one of the dogs got HER. It was sad, even though I was not too fond of her. Do YOU like them? Those "Antlers" certainly cracked me up!

I have to say I have 10 or 11 favorite chicken breeds, each for different reasons. For egg production and broodiness, nothing beats the Dominiques! The roosters are fairly docile (don't remember ever having a mean one) and the hens are the BEST mothers!! I swear, when I got that breed I didn't have to buy any more chickens for YEARS! The hens would hatch out 12-15 chicks each and raise nealy ALL of them to adulthood. It was a veritable CHICKEN EXPLOSION around here! I had to start giving some of them away.

Few of my birds have had names though. When you've got so many of them, it's hard to tell them all apart! Although I DO have one mixed breed hen named "Priscilla" (I was going to call her Elvira because she's got an "Elvis 'Do," but I liked the other name better) Once, I had 4 identical Barred Rock hens and my little sister (who was 17 at the time) named every single one of them "Julia" (LOL) ~~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:39:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a mixed flock of banties...my favorites are the mottled cochins, but the little red game banties are the best mothers....and the silver spangled hamburg is my best layer right now. I love the look of the partridge rocks too. I have about 2 dozen right now. My rooster, Richard, is a mottled cochin.
When I kept bigger hens I loved my RI Reds the best and had them for years. I am so in love with bantams I doubt I will get big ones again...less feed, less space needed and they are great setters and mothers..and the eggs they lay are medium size..huge for such little hens!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  03:50:02 AM  Show Profile
We have black and red sexlinks. Hearty layers for sure! We also have Australorps to give the hawks a run for their money, gold laced wyandotts, buff orpingtons and of course, my beloved silkies. These are my hobby chickens and go broody at the drop of a hat!

Last year a slikie hatched eggs from a frined's BB Reds, so I have a hen and rooster. And decided to give Mille Feurs a try (or however you spell it). Just because these bantys are cute too.

So all in all, I have been chickening for about 5 years now and have 55 total, all spaced out in 3 different coops.

Those have been a work in progress too!

There are so many colorful breeds and each time we get a new catalog I borwse and ear mark the pages for fututre references
Go to Top of Page

gafarmwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Pam
Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  04:59:42 AM  Show Profile
We have Turkens,Buff Orpingtons,Light Brahmas,

Silver Polish

Golden Polish

Also Dominuques(does anyone else call them domineckers?)
Bantams-silver and gold sebrights and b.b.reds.
Then I have 2 yard bantie hens that my son brought me. They are the best layers but go broody fast. I am thinking about putting one of the young B.B. reds roosters with them, but those little rascals can be mean when they are running loose. I don't know how fast I can run these days. Lol...

...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference... ~Robert Frost~

Life on a Southern Farm
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  07:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Loved yours Amanda!!!! Will you post a pic!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!

Seriously! I do want to get chickens soon!! Love love love reading Karins blog about hers!!!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like I have the same type of flock as the rest of you all! Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, RIR, Australorps, etc. One of my Orpingtons routinely goes broody, and finally she succeeded in hatching some eggs. We've had a slew of different roosters in and out and so far the only one (for me!) that has been allowed to stick around (not in the freezer) is our Silkie. He is PERFECT. He is great at keeping his flock together, finding them food, announcing sunrise, and best of all-- stays clear of the kids! Good luck with your flock!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HAINAngel2000
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Mary
Sweet Home OR
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  10:04:35 AM  Show Profile
I have astrolorps :) 24 of them.

Email: info@heavenlyangelsinneed.com
Bereavement: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.org
Blog: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.blogspot.com/
Home: http://rockypointschool-homestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  4:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Aunt Jenny! I have been considering getting some Silver Spangled Hamburgs. What are they like? Are they really flighty?

Do you ladies know that ALL barnyard fowl are in serious danger of extinction? This includes all non-commercial breeds of chicken, ducks, geese and trukeys. Some breeds have already been lost. Some are on the verge.
One lost breed is actually being "re-created" from information dug up from some really old chicken literature. (can't remember which breed it is, but it's very interesting to learn how they are doing it) Check out the ALBC (American Livestock Breeds Conservancy) website and it will give you some scary facts on how close some of our favorite breeds are to disappearing forever. ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

Edited by - shepherdgirl on May 24 2008 4:37:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile
I have Australorps, New Hampshire Reds, Cuckoo Marans,R island Reds,buff cochin,blue cochin bantams,1 silkie,some crosses. Added to the flock this year 20 new chickens. Buckeyes,Speckled Sussex,Barnvelders, Patridge Chantecleres,Welsummers,Samon Faverolles,something else but can't remember. They are all suppose to be descent layers of brown eggs and suppose to be fairly mellow.
I noticed as far as being broody and good mothers, cochen batams,cuckoo marans,crosses, and the silky so far have been really good on our farm.The cuckoos marans also lay super dark brown eggs.
Most of the breeds I have are pretty easy going. I did order a few roosters with this new order. I hope they are as nice as my Maran rooster. He's a big rooster but such a nice boy. He will jump up on your lap for attention.

The new chickens I ordered this year are 7 weeks old now. I have never had these breeds before and they are getting beautiful plumage. One of them is black with golden/brown barring. Its a neat contrast. Onf of the is getting white spots.I have really enjoyed watching the colors coming out in them. Good luck with your chickens and hope you get great ones.

Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  03:48:53 AM  Show Profile
I used to have Aurstalorps roosters. They came mis-sexed as hens. Both were really, rally mean even though I had raised them all with TLC

I gave the "nicer " one to a friend. He turned out to be a holy terror. The one I kept was just as bad. Our neighbor carried a stick every time she went jogging. No amount of talking to the steel toed boot helped either.

Both met a fitful end to the tune of being eaten by a fox or something.

Pity. I thought these were a gentle breed!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile
I have marans, which I love because they lay the most gorgeous dark brown eggs I've ever seen, but I also have raised RIRs and buffs and a few other breeds. The marans seem to go broody fairly well and make good mama's too.

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  10:43:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a mix of black sex-links and golden comets. I have had past experience with both. They are both good layers. It seems that the goldens are better sitters and both are friendly. The last group I had were free ranged and followed me everywhere I went. Unfortunately I have neighbors who let there dogs run so now I will have to keep them in a pen or a chicken tractor. Once they get bigger I am going to look into some heritage breeds.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.

Edited by - Jeanna on May 27 2008 10:46:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

DamascusFarm
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Alexis
Rio Medina Texas
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  8:12:18 PM  Show Profile
We have 4 Australorps 2 Barred Rocks 1 RIR 1 Red Sex link and an Aracuana & the evil rooster. My 'lorps are beautiful calm and somewhat aloof, the RIR just scurries along in their wake. The aracuana runs semi wild and scolds fiercley when rescued from the perils of sleeping in horse mangers and tormenting the dogs. my Rocks are a little slow to catch on i think. They still duck when im throwing scratch down. The only bird I own that I don't like was here on the property when we moved in... We think he may be White Leghorn he's certainly huge.... the rooseter has now been named 'El Pollo Diablo' and chases my horses from their feed when he can.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  08:29:49 AM  Show Profile
I am new to this board but, I wanted to post about my chickens. We have 7 Buff Orpingtons hens, 9 Deleware hens, and 1 Deleware Rooster. If you look at my Buff's the wrong way they will go broody. The Deleware's I have not had that problem, yet. My rooster is wonderful! He is so good with the hens but, is always on alert. I must say he is mighty beautiful too. We also had an Aracauna rooster too, but he was rather mean and has gone away.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

okieinalaska
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Amy
Eagle River Alaska
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  08:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I have chicken envy...we live in Alaska and it gets cold! I don't think I can build a good enough coop. But eventually I am going to try. I can have three hens as I live in town. Also have to worry about bears, martins, ravens and eagles. : (

I haved wanted chickens for years, I guess I can wait a little longer.

Amy
Go to Top of Page

urbanchickee
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Lisa
NC
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile
We just got 3 RIRs. We are having such a great time watching them and feeding them insects we dig up. My 1.5 yo goes out with me every morning to open up the coop and he peers through the window at them. Then he goes around getting pieces of grass to push through the wirecloth, he learned that by watching his big b and s. It is too sweet!!

Life on my little "farmette" gets crazy. 3kids,2dogs,3chickens. Life is good...
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  7:39:35 PM  Show Profile
We have three Rhode Island Reds as well. They are darling. Each has a little personality and they're my "girls" as I have four (human) boys as MY Brood...The gals are cool, one likes to scratch a lot, one talks a lot and one is flighty. They all peck at my blood red nail polish, I guess it's shiny and dark like the beetles they like to eat. We feed them their regular food, plus veggie scraps and any bugs my boys can find. We move their run and house every 8 days to give them fresh grass. The LOVE clover, tater tots and macaroni and cheese. I love my little gals, and they'll be giving us breakfast by the end of summer. Can hardly wait!
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What kind of chickens do you have Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page