Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Spinners and Weavers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinners and Weavers Next Topic
Page: of 4

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  9:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
monika my mom always asks me why i cant do anything "normal" and i tell her that it would be boring! i too should have been born centuries ago tho i would have had to be a rich lady and have servents to do the work while i did the fun stuff! lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  4:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Connie, it's too fun being different. I once made double-ended knitting needles out of a metal coat hanger because I could not find ones as small as I wanted. I remember years ago I was sewing a dress out of cotton with no darts or any opening to get it on and my mom, who taught me how to sew said "you can't sew like that". I used to drive her crazy. I have come along way since then. I have even sewn a wedding dress and 3 bridesmaid dresses. I know most people think it's
crazy but I love to make stuff from scratch. If I thought sheep would do well in the desert I would probably get some to do my own wool for yarn.
Monica
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  4:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Navajo Churro sheep would probably do well Monica.....worth a try for your own wool source..haha.
It is fun to experiment with stuff isn't it. My mom just shakes her head at me too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  10:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I so envy you ladies with spinning wheels!! I have been looking and looking for the one I want and have found it, but they're NOT cheap, so.... I will just have to start saving my pennies.

I HAVE gotten to spin though, on my friends mom-in-laws Ashford Joy. She showed me how. She sat there in total AWE and said "You BRAT!!! (only that wasn't EXACTLY the word she used....) I can't believe you haven't broken that thread yet!!" Of course, when she said that ** SNAP! ** it went! I was pretty proud of myself though. She said when I DO get my own wheel, I aught to be darn good at spinning since I have "Natural" talent (I take that as a compliment, since she's been spinning for YEARS!)--- YEAH!!!!! FINALLY!! Something that I'm GOOD at that I would LOVE doing!!!!

I have the sheep, (Babydolls, Jacobs and my husband's mutt sheep-- I think the ram might be Debouilett!! He's got the most WONDERFUL wool!!!) I have the shears (and the aches and pains of SHEARING the sheep to go WITH them!), I have the carders... now all I need is the WHEEL! Now, can anyone explain to me how to read a crochet/knitting pattern.....? (LOL) ~~~ Happy Spinning! Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  06:02:20 AM  Show Profile
I can't make heads or tails of crochet but knitting is a language I understand. Let me know what you need help with.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  08:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, Thanks for the info. I am not sure I could talk my husband into it especially at this point in time. I might look into if anyone around where I live has sheep and then maybe I could get my own wool to card so that might be a start. I love trying to make almost anything. I would make my own rick-rack if I could figure out how. I just think too often we get in a mind frame of buying what we need at the store instead of making it ourselves.
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  09:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Monica,

Here is a link to a PDF that will tell you how to weave your own rick rack. Scroll down to the second page.

http://www.braidsociety.com/work/beginbraiding3.pdf

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:02:01 AM  Show Profile
:( I wish I had someone to teach me how to spin!! I purchased two bummer lambs (always hated that they were called bummers and instead called them bobbins!). Just to use for fiber, I adore my little 'bobbins', now I have to sell them 'cause I'm getting married and I'm afraid we won't be able to afford much in the way of property :( Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to learn....
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Needing some info. I am searching for the spindle for my 1870 walking wheel...anyone know where I can get a reproduction??

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  3:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Christine, Thank you so much!!!! You have made my day! I never even thought to look into braiding. I have seen crocheted rick-rack. Well I will let you know how it goes. I think I will try to make some tonight. Once again, THANK YOU!!!!!
Monica

www.justducky.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  4:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi christine! thanks so much for the link! alot of native clothing has braid and/or rick-rack on it and i bet if i can do some really nice peices i can sell it! not sure when i will get to it as i am trying to warp my loom for another project but doesnt seem to be doing what i want it to lol. they say practice makes perfect and boy am i gonna be perfect!! *grin*
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile
Monica and Connie,

I'm so glad my google-fu was high and could help you out.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Edited by - Cheekyredhead on Jul 12 2008 08:36:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  4:20:47 PM  Show Profile
my drop spindles arrived yesterday and I already got my wool a few days ago now I just need to find some time. I also got my pleater Monday and have no time to do anymore than look at it. I am so excited, but I am not sure which one to check out first!! What a wonderful dilemma!!!
monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  4:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i got the items i neded to make my spindle and bought 2 ounces of wool (about 6-8 yards) so now i gotta make it and i am on my way! i did go to a new store in town called "the weavers yarn" and she helped me with the warping of my loom. finally i can get busy lol as tho i havent been?? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  3:32:21 PM  Show Profile
I just joined MJ Farmgirl connection and was reading some of the older post and got so excited when I read this topic. I spin, weave, knit, and felt and have about 50 head of sheep. I have 4 spinning wheels but my Louet is my favorite. I look forward to seeing and reading about what you are creating. Oh, I am spinning shetland wool from one of my lambs...sooo soft and the color is a light silver. It is time to start knitting socks again or should I say finish the other sock of three different pairs. I love to knit the first sock but have trouble starting the second sock. My daughter is weaving purses and scraves with wool. The warp is a polypay and the weft is shetland, in natural colors until she puts the needle felting on with a very soft and fine correidale.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  4:16:13 PM  Show Profile
I have a majacraft rose and an 8ft triangle loom. I knit (have socks on the needles now). I have a shawl on the loom now that is almost done- it is for a farmgirl here. I have tons of spindles and they have various fibers on them. I haven't done much this summer as we were packing to move- but we just found out we are not moving so I am trying to get the main rooms unpacked so I can back to work. I have another shawl to weave for Dawn after Sage's is done.
Where is New Boston in Missouri. We are looking to move to the St Joseph area next year- we are in Nevada right now. Welcome to the forum

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  9:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I have a 6 ft or 8 ft triangle loom too. I just moved it outside today onto the patio. It takes up lots of room. I have not started a new project on it for quiet awhile. Like it because I just have the one yarn to deal with. I would like one of the long rectangle looms that you weave in the same fashion...have you see them? There is a picture on Hill Creeks web site...in Columbia, Mo.
New Boston is over toward the Kirksville area. 36 Hwy east out of St. Joe to Hwy 11 out of Brookfield then about 24 miles. It takes us over 2 hrs to go to St. Joe.
Oh wow! I hate to pack, little lone pack and then have to unpack. Bless your heart...just glad you have the neat hobby of spinning and weaving to take the edge off.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  9:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Debra, I went to your shop....how nice! Your shawls are beautiful. I have only made 3 so far and out of my handspun. They are very warm. I made one in a fushia to match a hat that I had knitted and felted. I will try to put a picture on my blog of this outfit. Have you ever sewed two triangles together to make a lap blanket? You will like St.Joe. It has a lot of character.

Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  9:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Hi everyone, I'm really excited about my new-old loom! I hope to be able to share some of my learning experiences and projects soon - just brought her home from out-of-state a couple days ago, and haven't really gotten a chance to play yet.

I have a question though, because I'm kind of confused. The woman selling it was 87 and has had it 30 years+. I didn't get to talk to her though, because hse's in very poor health, but her son said it was a "four harness counter balance". I know what that means, but I'm not sure if that's right? Could anyone look at the pictures and see if you can tell, or tell me what I'm supposed to look for? I tried looking up pictures of four harness looms, and they all look so different, I just can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~*Magdelina

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Sarita,
I knit both pair of socks at the same time, so when Im finished both are done.
Two sets of needles, go a little ways then put that one down and do the same on the second pair. Its so hard to finished one and then know you have to do another one just like it. this way is much batter
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, you are so right, I have tried that put I get to knitting when we take a road trip and don't switch off...then there I am, single socked! Do you think it will ever be the fashion to wear socks that don't match?? I will finish them...we all like to wear our wool socks in the winter. I have never knitted 2 socks at once on the long circular needles...have you?

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  1:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Well, I did it! I bought a Floor Loom.
It's a Sievers Loom made in Wisconsin in Door Co.I think it's a called a jack style.
I paid $450 for it and bench together. I hope I got a good deal.
I have never used a floor loom so this should be interesting.
First I have to make room to get this set up...
But now since the new issue of MJF is here... it will have to wait a bit longer...
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  2:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new floor loom. That sounds so exciting setting it up, and then making something! Good luck

Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  3:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Karen, Congrats on the new loom! Since this forum first started I have gotten a spinning wheel and I love it! I am so excited for you!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  07:18:44 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's Karen - you will love it and I think you received a fine deal. There where several ladies in my spinning guild who have a Siever loom - they have since left the state so I am not sure where they went or I would give you contact info for assistance. I am sure you will just find and I can not wait to hear how you like it. It is exciting to me when someone get's to start a journey in the fiber arts. Keep us informed if you can.

Happy Weaving

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinners and Weavers Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page