lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you ladies use mulberries for anything? We have several big trees in our yard that have loads of big, black berries on them. It doesn't seem like you really hear all that much about people making stuff with them, but I thought about trying to make some jam or syrup with them. Seems like it would be about the same as blackberries, only mulberries are sweeter. But they also seem to have less juice than blackberries, so I guess it might take more of them? Anyone have any mulberry tips they could pass along? Thanks!

LibraryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Beth
Mt. Blanchard Ohio
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  2:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, I'm glad you brought this up! We also have a few trees behind our house, just loaded with mulberries. I told my husband that I was dying to try making a pie with them, and he looked at me like I was nuts! Do you think it would be any good?

--Beth
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  3:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Guess what I found I had a tree this yr. It had a few berries but this Ga. heat I guess didnt let it produce much or maybe just because it was the first crop. Anyways Id love some receipes for next yr. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  7:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Yumm yumm yumm. . .I just made two batches of mulberry jelly this afternoon! In previous years, I've also made jam and I think a cobbler and some mulberry candy I found a recipe for (didn't like that though), and mulberry syrup. WE LOVE MULBERRIES! And to pick them we put a sheet under the branches and get up on a ladder and shake the branches. Just have to pick out the misc detritus that comes along (unripe berries, leaves, stick pieces. . .)

And of course there's always eating them plain, or on cereal, or with milk and sugar. . .

Enjoy the berries!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:08:53 PM  Show Profile
I've noticed just today that the mulberries are ready. I love eating them, but I don't like how the stem is usually stuck to the berry. Does anyone else have this problem? A park near me has white mulberries, so I thought about going and picking some and maybe freezing some for winter use. I just froze 10 baggies of 2 cups of rhubarb each, so I should be set for awhile!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a mulberry tree too that is loaded with berries. I love your way of picking them Sheila. Could you please share your cobbler & candy recipe?

Thanks,
Dawn in Il
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:25:25 PM  Show Profile
I love mulberries!!! I like to munch on them, but I've never been able to get fresh. I think mulberries are a highly under-appreciated and we should exploit them to their fullest. I've seen a few recipes using them, when I've got time I'll look for them for you (in between homework... yes, I'm taking summer quarter. Woohoo! )

Farmgirl #181
Blue-collar born and raised, and dang proud of it!
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mulberries? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page