MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:55:54 AM  Show Profile
During my endeavor of looking at all different kinds of green grocery bags, I emailed a few companies that did not disclose where their bags were made. When I found out they were made in India, I was kinda of confused. The purpose is to help our environment. I know that there are tons of people in other countries that will benefit from making things like these bags, but when they are being sold for 3.95 in USA, the people must only be getting pennies after the cost of materials and shipping; not to mention their working conditions... I personally would pay a few dollars more to know it was Made in America. Am I being too judgemental or does outsourcing just defeat the purpose in more way than just one????

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  08:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Outsourcing is a hard call. There's no question that people in developing countries are eager to work, even in conditions that we would find unacceptable. And over time, abundant work can lead to better working conditions and better standards of living. There was an interesting article in (I think) last month's National Geographic about the changing lifestyle in China - younger workers know that they can demand higher wages and more time off.

The company I work for outsources a great deal of technical work to China, India, and the Philippines. From our contact with the workers, I know that they are educated, highly motivated professionals. The textile industry, of course, is a low skill and low pay job even in the US. I remember reading somewhere that modern factories in other countries can be better places to work than older "sweatshops" existing in the US.

There's just no easy answer. Even MaryJanesFarm textiles are outsourced (except the F.A.R.M. line of products).
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Is all outsourcing bad? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page