Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Controlling flies? I need help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Controlling flies? I need help! Next Topic  

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile
We have been invaded by a plague of flies. It is just horrible. I'm trying to keep the doors closed as much as possible but I have two little boys who run in and out constantly. We have those sticky things hanging in the kitchen and those catch a few, but don't make a dent in the overall population.

Dh is talking about spraying the house and that really makes me nervous, especially since I am pregnant. Are there natural fly repellents that I could use? I seem to remember something about peppermint, but I'm not sure.

Gotta do something fast. This is so gross!

www.narrowgatemorgans.com

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:37:20 AM  Show Profile
LEAH,
TYPE IN ON GOOGLE "GETTING RID OF FLIES" LOTS OF INFO COMES UP. HOPE THIS HELPS.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Leah,
At this time I'm not having a fly problem...but have in the past. Golden Marin (I buy it at the feed store) is a blue crystal that can be sprinkled in a "hanging" dish...it attracts and kills the flies. I only use it hanging outdoors. I have a little one at my house every day and dare not put anything down where she can get to it....also have some critters who I don't want to get into it too.

I have a little magnet hanging on my frige that has some "natural remedies for pests. For flies is says "small sachets of crushed mint placed around the home will discourage flies. So will potted sweet basil plant. Worth giving a try.

Here are the other natural pest remedies:

Ants: Sprinkle cinnamon, bay leaves, cayenne pepper or baby powder in problem areas and along baseboards and window sills.

Cockroaches: sprinele equal parts of baking soda and confectioners sugar in problem areas.

Mice: Place cotton dipped in peppermint oil near problem areas. Used kitty litter is another repellent.....for outdoors.

Mosquitoes: Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water placed on your deck or balcony. Dab lavendar oil on your wrists and elbows. Personally I like pennyroyal. It's a pretty little ground cover that I grow all over my yard. I pick a sprig and crush it in my hands and rub it on my arms and legs...also use it on kids...2 legged and 4 legged. Works on both.

Good luck with the natural remedies.....as I know you don't want to use any chemicals while you're pregnant.

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:53:21 PM  Show Profile
place two pennies in a plastic baggie and fill with water. Tie the bag off and hang (or staple) it right outside your door. You won't have any more flies by the door. As far as getting rid of the ones already inside - a fly swatter.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile
You should look at a feed store around the horse fly sprays. I know they came out with a natural marigold derived spray. THere are always sprays that you would spray on the walls of the stall and around your barn. maybe there are natural versions of this!

Julie, people do that bag thing around here and it always make me smile. Does it really work?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:46:22 AM  Show Profile
we put them in the horse stalls and it seems to really help.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile
HOW does it work, though?? Kinda intriguing!! Pennies in a bag of water??? You've got my curiosity up. I'll have to give it a try!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how or why. Everyone around here does it. All the stores do it by the doors too.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sdleah

We have been invaded by a plague of flies. It is just horrible. I'm trying to keep the doors closed as much as possible but I have two little boys who run in and out constantly. We have those sticky things hanging in the kitchen and those catch a few, but don't make a dent in the overall population.

Dh is talking about spraying the house and that really makes me nervous, especially since I am pregnant. Are there natural fly repellents that I could use? I seem to remember something about peppermint, but I'm not sure.

Gotta do something fast. This is so gross!

www.narrowgatemorgans.com

The herb basil- flies hate basil. You can put plants in your window seals and get a few plants for your porch. And you will have fresh herbs to cook with. hugs

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

the bees knees
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Joyce
Monroe LA
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  7:55:42 PM  Show Profile
I also hang a few baggies of water around my back porch and patio, it really does seem to help...don't know why, though!!!

Farmgirl Sister #82-Joyce of 'The Shabby Girls'
www.thepurleebee.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Controlling flies? I need help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page