Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 So if I wanted to start a chapter...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic So if I wanted to start a chapter... Next Topic
Page: of 2

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  2:46:49 PM  Show Profile
How would I go about finding members? Do you typically start with people that you already know? Do you put up flyers? What is the best way to advertise?

I know that my mom and sister would come. But we do things together all the time anyway, and I'd like to expand beyond just family.

Tell me about how you got started. I'm fairly new in my area and don't know many people so I'd like to use this as a way to connect with ladies who have common interests.

BTW, I'm in East Texas, between Pittsburg and Gilmer. So if any of you ladies live in the area and are interested, please post!!!

www.narrowgatemorgans.com

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Leah,
My name is Kate and I live in Tyler. I have been wondering about a chapter also...
I have been thinking that since us Texas girls are so spread out maybe we could form an online chapter. Don't really know if that is acceptable...but we could check it out.
Glad to meet you....

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:34:09 PM  Show Profile
"I have been thinking that since us Texas girls are so spread out maybe we could form an online chapter."

I would be willing to join a online chapter for us Texas farmgals. I looked and there is no "live" chapter near me, so online would be great!

Caron
Go to Top of Page

MissLorri
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Lorri
North East Texas
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:37:22 PM  Show Profile
I am in North East Texas in New Boston. I also have not been able to get any of the current chapters to respond. I would be interested in joining your group. Maybe we can do an online, but also a monthly meeting. I do not have a problem with driving to Pittsburg
Go to Top of Page

MissLorri
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Lorri
North East Texas
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:47:51 PM  Show Profile
If monthly meeting were too much we could at least have one meeting every quater or so. I have to "MEET" you at some point!
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by MissLorri

I am in North East Texas in New Boston. I also have not been able to get any of the current chapters to respond.

Hi Lorri,
I had the same experience. Kinda frustrating, isn't it? That was what prompted me to suggest the chapters be "renewed" in some way each year so the website listing of chapters is kept current.

I think the idea of face to face, local chapters is a wonderful concept, but my impression at this time is, there just aren't that many farmgirls around in most areas (exception: Kentucky and Idaho seem to be hotbeds of farmgirls. ), so it's very hard to get a chapter up and running from scratch.

I really want to belong to a viable, active chapter, and that will probably mean starting one myself. But I'm still deciding if I will be able to handle the let-down and disappointment if nobody joins!

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

Farmgirl #211
No woman ever made history by behaving herself.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  6:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Ladies, Sounds like your making the move in the right direction... I am from washington State... I had a "farmgirl round-up" at our local farmers market - handed out info and signed gals up on the spot. I was thinking if I could get a doz it would be so successful. I had 64 women the day of the sign up and we are up to 72... I think that when you get the word out in your communities you will be amazed at the farmgirls that come out. You can also post at your local library or local paper..... Our community isnt that big... but lots of "farmgirls" we also have neighboring communities that have groups as well and we have committed to meeting together a few times a year to pool resources.

Renee, I think you have a lot of great ideas... I know that like all great things, they start out small and managmeable and then take on a life of thier own - and need more attention - this seems to be the case with the chapters.... So be patient I am sure your ideas are being heard....

I love your idea of an online chapter to get things started.....

Also... check in your area where maryJanes magazine may be being sold.. and see if they have a bulletin board - where you can post invites to any gals that may be interrested in joining you.....

Renee - I was anxious too about "what if no one joins" and now I am thankful that not only did so many join, but I have some amazing women who are willing to step up and help with the organization of the chapter......if I can help in ANY way, please let me know! But you all seem to be on the right track.. get a virtual group going" and then split off if needed.....for viable groups.. best wishes...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:05:33 AM  Show Profile
This is getting exciting.

Starting out small wouldn't bother me at all...I'd be thrilled if there were three or four of us!

I think I'm going to send for the starter kit. Once I figure out a little more, I'll be in touch with you TX ladies.

About an online group...how does that work? I have super-slow dialup and two little boys so I'm not on the computer a whole lot. But I'd be open to the possibility. If we did something like that, I think I would still like to have a once-a-month meeting for whoever could make it, and stay in touch via computer in-between.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, Rene. Wow, 72!! That's a little overwhelming to think about.

Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:28:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Tyler and would be willing to drive to Pittsburg once a month if that helps you decide Rene. Count me in!

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:30:12 AM  Show Profile
So Sorry!!! I meant Leah!!!
Please forgive....I'm still pretty new...and really don't know that many of us farmgirls.

Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kate.. we knew what you meant - for "online" you all could start with a blog, decide on a project for the group and then chitchat about that as well as post projects when you are done. Just dont forget to share with all of US at maryJanes so we can "share" in the excitment as well....

Leah, I am thrilled that your going to take the leap.. I think you will be surprised at how many come out of the wood-work once they know that a viable group is going.....

YES the numbers were overwhelm ing, until I saw that the gals naturally started to pair off based on likes, dislikes, talents etc... and I got a great group that are "administrative" so they were all to happy to help with the organization....

My best advice is.. dont over think it.. Just jump in.... the water is great!!!!!

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:49:31 AM  Show Profile
I knew who you meant, Kate.

I'm new too and don't know many people yet.

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  09:17:23 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i would be interested in participating in an online texas chapter if i could. i have a chapter here, but so far, i am the only member. dont think i could trave once a month to tyler but if i could be included online i would love that.

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

KnitSteph
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Stephanie
Longview TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  4:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Longview, and I have ordered the stuff for a chapter in my area, but I'd be happy to be in an online chapter also.

http://www.knitsteph.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  9:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I would love to have a chapter around here Leah! In fact, you and I aren't too far from each other to begin with...I noticed when I went to your website that you live on Raccoon Rd, which is only about 10 minutes from me! Your area used to be where all of us would have ..ahem..pasture..ahem..parties.....

Just let me know when you hear anything!!

Samantha

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  9:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Quick Question - do you gals have "Farmgirl" bumper stickers??? I have found that they really seem to be great advertisment for having farmgirls "find you".

Also, My town is rather small so I found a gift shop and asked if they would carry MaryJanes Books and magazines.. and then I posted an invite Poster to come join us.... seemed to work well!

Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Rene' your ideas sound great I would love to live closer to you, I would join....

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
hey, I know where Sedro Woolley is.....do you all have a chapter? Our group has decided to take MaryJane's Idea book.... idea, by idea and cover them in our meetings..... that will keep us busy!!!!

Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  06:57:55 AM  Show Profile
How cool, Samantha!!!

Frannie, I am a little over an hour north of Tyler...I don't know how far that makes me from Bonham, but maybe it wouldn't be too far. Bonham is close to Paris, right? I think that's about an hour from us.

I talked to my mom about it last night and she is excited about being a part.

Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, one other thing...if we are really scattered, we might consider meeting in different homes. That way, no one would have a long drive every month. I used to be involved in a spinning group in Tyler and that's what they did...one month they would meet in Tyler and the next month somewhere closer to this direction. Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:09:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm all for however you set this up. I don't mind traveling once a month. Also..
I would LOVE A BUMPER STICKER!!!

Kate

Farmgirl sister

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
leah, we are about 45-60 minutes west of paris, on the way to sherman. probably a good 2 hours from pittsburgh.
i still would like to be an on line member if yall do that. i dont drive long distances any more alone, so it would involve me and dh being available. or whoever took me on the road!
i'll just stay tuned to this post to see what happens.

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by prosserfarmgirl

. . . .I had a "farmgirl round-up" at our local farmers market - handed out info and signed gals up on the spot. I was thinking if I could get a doz it would be so successful. I had 64 women the day of the sign up and we are up to 72...

Woo hoo!!!! That IS amazing!

Have you had any trouble accommodating or planning for that number at your events?

I ask because I and a neighbor started a trail riding club about 10 years ago. We held an informational meeting at an area restaurant and got 32 people from that. Within a year, the membership was someplace around 120. But you know, it was almost too big too fast. Even though we were specific that we were a family-oriented, riding club formed to help implement and put in equestrian trails on a newly created recreational area, it was hard to get everyone on the same page. For example, some people wanted Sunday events planned, others were opposed. Some thought a few beers around the campfire at camp-outs was fine, others did not. Planning things was also rather hard because it was difficult to find places that could accommodate the club even if only half the membership showed up (parking horse trailers, # of campsites reserved, etc.)

Now, however, the riding club has "evolved" and matured into a core group of about 35 people who get along well and seem to have the same ideas as to what the club should do and be focused on. But it was a long, hard birth at times.

I wish you and I lived closer. From your posts I think we'd get along famously.

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

Farmgirl #211
No woman ever made history by behaving herself.
Go to Top of Page

KnitSteph
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Stephanie
Longview TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:29:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sdleah

Oh, one other thing...if we are really scattered, we might consider meeting in different homes. That way, no one would have a long drive every month. I used to be involved in a spinning group in Tyler and that's what they did...one month they would meet in Tyler and the next month somewhere closer to this direction. Just a thought.

I used to go to those spinning days. I think my most favorite one was at the lady's farm up in Alba with all the bunnies.

I miss those days.

http://www.knitsteph.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  7:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Renee,
So far so good. I was so blessed that other gals were so willing to step up and want to be involved in the organization and events and so many had so many great ideas.. and I was eager to plug them in....WE had decided early on to not be so ridged that we all didnt enjoy it.. we want it to be more free-flowing and fun.. So... like I said, so far so good!

WOW to you a horse club.. that is a lot of work. My friend here has a rodeo arena and holds lots of youth events and rodeos.. it is a HUGE undertaking....

Go to Top of Page

Robin1974
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Robin
Flower Mound Texas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  7:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Robin1974 a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls,

I just found this little conversation, but I would LOVE to be a part of it. I'm in Flower Mound, outside DFW and ordered my kit, but I'll be the lone member if I don't find some sister farmgirls soon! There is group not far from here but they aren't accepting new members. Please let me know if you get something going!

Thanks,
Robin

Before it goes in the bin, give it away or use it again!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic So if I wanted to start a chapter... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page