Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Natural mosquito repellent?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Natural mosquito repellent? Next Topic  

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  03:46:04 AM  Show Profile
My legs are polka dotted with mosquito bites...does anyone know any home remedies or natural products to use as repellent?

Farmgirl Sister #204

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:16:42 AM  Show Profile
I use rose geranium oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. It seems to work for me. :) I hate mosquitoes with a passion and they are b.a.d. this year.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Pennyroyal is a beautiful little ground cover.....and it is a natural repellant. I just pick a sprig and kinds crush it in my hand....and then rub it on my arms and legs...and on the kids and it keeps the little boogers away.

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  1:59:34 PM  Show Profile
burts bees makes an all natural bug repellant. It works well.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  2:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Listerine Mouthwash or the dollar store equivilant. Put it in a spray bottle and spray the grass. I do it near my fire pit and it works well. I have never tried it on me. What does Pennyroyal look like? I wonder if we have it around here.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  4:49:21 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to share this idea here, though it isnt exactly a repellent. We always put a few goldfish it the horses water trough to eat up all the bug larvae. Now, if you live near a body of water, I doubt it will make a difference but it sure does help for us. We used to go out and catch a couple bullheads every summer when I was a kid for my granparents trough. :) Feeder goldfish are 10 cents each here.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  11:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh I wish it were that simple for US Sarah! We live in the middle of rice country-- which in turn means GAZILLIONS of mosquitos!!! The county has a spray program, and the truck even comes way out here (12 mi's from town), but I worry about the stuff they spray. They SAY it's 100% safe to humans and animals (we have a farm full of critters and there are also lots of Dairy's around us too), but I still worry.

The mosquitos here are big enough to saddle and ride! The best way to avoid them for us is to just stay inside when the world OUTSIDE starts to cool off.

And Kate-- isn't Pennyroyal poisonous?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  7:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Aimee,
The pennyroyal looks like a teeney-tiny Wandering Jew. It's a pretty little plant and it trails out real fast. I grow it in the ground and in hanging baskets....

If you can find some I think you'll really love it. Let me know.
Kate

Farmgirl sister

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  05:43:44 AM  Show Profile
After some research...that I should have done prior to posting, I will say that pennyroyal essential oil can be toxic. I'm talking about a concentration of the oil.
My use of it is walking across it and releasing the unconcentrated essence.....or rubbing it on my arms and legs. I have never used the oil (a concentration)....only the plant...and it does work for the mosquitos. I have used it for many, many years and have not had any problems. I would not however, go out and buy the pennyroyal essential oil and use it the same way. The plant does just fine

Kate

Farmgirl sister

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile
The plant doesn't grow around here. I can order it at the flowershop. So...I'm off! like a pair of pantyhose!

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Natural mosquito repellent? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page