dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  06:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Since the clutter topic has already been so great, I thought I would start another separate topic about color. Color is so telling about a person, not only astrologically, but about his or her personality. It can create a feeling of warmth or a cool calm, or an icy, cold dignified enviroment.

I always go for either warm or calm, myself. I use a lot of Martha Stewart colors in my home. Except for my kitchen, which is a very warm, kind of bold yellow. It is the heart of my house, with passways in all directions, so that you see the warm yellow from everywhere. But the exterior of this room, the "shell so to speak" is a clean white with a moss green ceiling and woodwork trim. I chose white for the livingroom and foyer so that it would be a perfect canvas for paintings and photographs. My bedroom is a robin's egg blue with a white ceiling. My master bathroom is a soft violet with a lot of brown in it. My studio is cream with a burgundy terracotta tiled floor. I like to make sure that, as you pass through a home, that each room color is compatible with the rest. I feel that this is important so as not to break a continuing feeling.

The colors you choose for your enviroment, set the stage for how you want to feel in your home, and are big hints about your personality. Are you bold red? Purple? White on White? Shades of gray? It is so interesting to see what people choose. Please share your colors.

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:25:40 AM  Show Profile
WOW! I'd hate to think what my colors say about me...I have often thought the ideal house for me would be one in which I can decorate each room with a different theme ie: a pioneer room, a Victorian room, Japanese room, etc.

Currently my downstairs is 4 distinct rooms that all can be seen from the others. They are all blue and varying shades of warm tan.
Upstairs our bedroom is white and blue, the bathroom a sunny yellow with white trim, our library is done in early Americana, and the studio is white with accents of peacock and fuschia! How's that for running the spectrum?

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  04:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE color. My shoppe is "carton" - Martha Stewart (Sherwin Williams),kitchen is Tea Cup a warm turquoise for the walls again Martha Stewart paint and the cabinets are barn red - cant remember the name - again Martha Stewart...my husband LOVES Sherwin Williams paint. The barn red cabinets have natural color doors and drawers and black hardware. Everything is trimmed in Picket Fence (white). The living room will be Ladybug red - you can guess the paint brand - its the next project. The hall is Starfish (yellow) and the bathroom (yep one bathroom for all of us...and all of us used to be 8!!!) is Granny Smith Apple Green and white...very clean looking.

Its my husband that is brave with paint and colors...I always say I am not sure...he's like GO FOR IT! We both like color in our surroundings.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  05:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Diane If your house isn't big enough to worry about compatability do you use all the same floors to unite or ceiling or wall colors?

Joy We got wild peacocks! What color is peacock like green or blue?

Susan Wow sounds so warm like are these french quarter colors?

Y'all boyhowdy I can use help! We are redoing from losing the interior when the roof blew last year. I put white in a mud room!!!!!!! I should have taken the tile ladies question as a NO! don't do it, when she said *are you sure you want white grout???* Mud room and white, it mustabeen my evil twin saying yes cuz what was I thinking???? I got my MrClean help wanted ad posted!!!ARG!!Any ways to nix the swabbin of me deck?
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  06:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, no house is too small to worry about oompatibility. My house isn't very big at all, but you should feel like you are flowing through the house, where each room connects and continues a good feeling. That is not to say that you can have a great surprise of color when you enter a new room, but I believe that you can achieve harmony with the use of woodwork and, yes you are very right, the floors. I am a major floor person. I believe that the floors are the most important part of any interior. Did you know that the floor is the first thing a person's eye goes to? (Studies have shown this) It is also an important grounding tool. Even if you have different floor surfaces within your home, pay attention to how one surface ends and another begins. It should blend in some way mainly through the use of color. I have a limestone tile in my kitchen, and then light hardwood in the dining area. The floor surfaces meet, and they are obviously differently textured, but the colors work together so that the feeling continues.

I love all your colors. The red sounds like it will be a great surprise. As long as you continue a color connection through the woodwork, it will be great. I like to think of it as two very different paintings hung side by side with compatible frames. The frames connect them, even though they don't have the same colors.
If you have the same floors running through the rooms, that is perfect. And, speaking of floors, I found this great and easy grout cleaner at Lowes (they also have it at Home Depot). Rats! I just checked and I used it up and threw away the bottle. Anyway, I think it is called Bedazzle or something close to that. It is a grout cleaner that you just spray on and leave for about 30 minutes (the longer you leave it the better it works, though) Then you can just take a mop and water and just mop it up. It loosens all the dirt, and boy, I got it to clean my bathroom grout, and I thought my floor was clean. You can't believe how much dirt the grout collects, and how new and clean your floors look after you use this stuff. My bathroom floor looked like I just put new tile in it. So, don't fret the white grout. I think your mud room sounds great, and you can keep it looking brand new with little or no effort.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  07:58:56 AM  Show Profile
my colors tend to be browns and greens and some dark reds and warm golden browns in the living room...(green is my favorite color and makes it's appearance in every room) with braided rug and homespun plaid type curtains with the above colors and a wood floor. (we do plan to paint the living room real soon and the walls will be two shades of a sort of adobe color...medium and very light for the trim. We have big old chubby wood mouldings around the windows and 12" baseboards so it will look neat I think. Bathroom is next to be painted and will be a sage green...the things I decorate with in there have green, navy and burgandy and sort of a cabiny feel to them. Our bedroom is not finished yet either..but will have it's white with brownish leaves all over it wallpaper for awhile I bet. It has awfully ugly carpet too, but a nice quilt in a log cabin pattern with shades of navy and forest greens..and a willow headboard. My collection of little willow chairs is on the walls in there right now and so is a pretty willow framed mirror I have had for years. And homespun type navy/cream plaid curtains. Kitchen is done with cream color walls and apple stenciling around the top edge of the very high ceiling (all of our ceilings are real high..old house)..in shades of red green and golds. The decor in there is John Deere, and the flooring is faux wood vinyl that we put in not too long ago. The cabinets are painted off white and have glass fronts..I love them..really old. There will be a new green speckled formica counter top with metal rim (1940's looking) soon I hope. Our table is a rectangular wood one with painted white legs and white "roughed up" chairs that don't all match. We don't have a dining room...so the kitchen is a real gathering place.
Family room is sort of a mix.. kid zone and has horrible horrible old orange and brown shag (yes, shag!!) carpeting that came with the house. I picture it with a nice oatmeal colored berber carpet, and a green couch instead of blue (blue is NOT my favorite color) and when the kids get older less bean bag chairs and things like the Lego table. It could be a pretty room..but is the play room more right now. The boys room is done in Spiderman and the girls room in Barbie.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Oct 10 2005 8:22:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I think I know you a lot better now. You are a spiritual, earth mother. You need the woods, texture, and warmth around you. I can relate. I need wood, have twig furniture, love cream and all shades of green too. Green is serene, calming, and makes you just feel good, doesn't it? I also appreciate the warmth of the autumnal colors to throw in the mix. Earth and fire, eh? Which reminds me of another topic I should post about colors and your sign. Getting back to you, though, not liking blue to me says that you want people around you that are open and giving. Even though blue is the color of the chakra of communication (throat), the energy of the color blue is cool and elusive. My guess is that you like people that meet you more than half way, as you do yourself.

PS- By the way, I never take much notice of the kid's zone in any house unless it is the project that I am to focus on. It doesn't count generally, unless you want to see it as your ultimate test on patience and tolerance. We have all been there, and, by the way, legos usually clash with any decor!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile
that is interesting knowing what color says about a person. personally I love the color blue a deep purple blue. But my living room is in beige and green and kitchen has a light blue counter but otherwise in light colors and the basement rec room is in greens. The bedroom is a mix and I want to do an indian theme.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Diane, my mother-in-law is a color consulant in LA so all of this sounds so familair. I used to work for her when I lived there since she also is a decortive painter/faux finisher. I learned a lot from her, I love this stuff. I'm a person who loves color. The colors I choose for myself are almost alwasy autumn color they are the most comfortable. I love a few odd colors also that don't quite fit in the autumn them like,that sea foam 1940's green. I live in an a apartment and refuse to do anything to itsince we won't be here that long. Carole)(Mother-in-law) use to say I should do some of the tricks I've learned to my apt. but I don't feel the need. Instead I artfuly cover the walls with my husbands and my art. I try to dress the place with soft cloth like natural linen curtains in the livingroom and sage, sheere curtains in the bedroom, lots of blankets and pillow everywhere (neatly). We are both artists living in a smallish apt. so our projects are usually taking up a lot of what you see when you walk in (like the big stuff snake in the middle of the living room waiting for eyes so he can be sent to my nephew his new owner). But most people love our home, it's very peaceful and comfy. I've always been a little obessed with color and design, so eventhough I don't do much painting everything matches and works (for now until I change it)I can't wait until I feel grounded enough to want to add color and finishes to my home, I will have no white walls in my house one day.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, it is a wierd thing that you brought up about your favorite colors being blue and purple. I always think that my favorite color is green, but I always am reaching for things I see that are turquoise, cobalt blue, or purple. The blues and purples are the color one's aura bcomes when they are highly enlightened. Did you know that? I think that it says this about you and many others, that you, in your heart, love the blues and purples (your soul), and you create an enviroment that is soothing and peaceful to dwell in (greens). It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Your home sounds warm, inviting, fun and happy. I am certain that, when you get your house, there won't be one white wall in it!!!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile
I not very attracted to purple but there is this blue/purple that is just right. It's perfect in my eyes, it resonance with me. Diane do live in one the older houses in D-town? I can just picture you house by the way you explain it.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
I have found that the colors I wear and look best in,(black, navy, purple, red, jewel tones in general) are not ones I feel exceptionally comfortable living in. I have sage green walls in my living room out of Ralph Lauren River Rock Paint, red wallpaper with gold and green grapes and pomogranites in my dining room. I love green and red in my quilts. Given that How should I do my kitchen hmm.

Tania
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  5:33:19 PM  Show Profile
This is so much fun Diane, I mentioned my colors in one of your other topics but I love light colors, light yellow butter, blues, light sage greens, whites & off whites, pinks and lavendars, all different creams. I also love autumn colors but not so much inside, is that weird? I have alot of light wood in my home mixed with all the other colors. I love it. I also collect tea pots and have many displayed most with light colors and different shapes from sewing machines to cottages to roosters. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  7:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, I don't live in one of the older homes in Doylestown (but I am planning to open a store in one in the very near future). I live in the Greens (townhouses by the woods). I absolutely love my house. I lived with just my daughter in it for about ten years (she was a baby when I moved from downtown Philadelphia). My husband joined us for the last ten years. He fit right in, but my house holds the history of my daughter's childhood and my time with her on our own. I always remember looking around and saying "This is MY House. No one can ever take it from me. It is the best feeling. Another good feeling is that I can walk to Marshall's from my home (its on the other side of the woods). I can't see it from my house, but I know it's there. It keeps a perpetual smile on my face.

Whenever you are back to visit your mom, (I just recently met your Aunt Rose. Isn't that funny?) please let me know. I would love to meet you in person, and invite you over.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  9:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, you are freaking me out! Why? My living room has braided rug with red, blue, green and gold; curtains are homespun-ish in same colors; wood floors;sofa and chair are tan or blue (depending on which slip covers are on); walls currently white, but (hopefully) soon to be a beige/tan color with white trim. My kitchen also has the glass front cabinets and none of our chairs are the same color. Are we in a paralell universe, or simply both blessed with good taste?!
Smiling,
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:08:20 PM  Show Profile
All of my walls are white -- living in a rented house I don't have much choice. But my sofa and chair are "Merlot" which is a deep deep burgundy red. When I bought it I started having second thoughts but I love it now. I have two swivel rockers that I'm going to slipcover in Waverly Norfolk Rose which has a cream background with lots of burgundy roses and sage green leaves. My other favorite color is pink - can't get enough of it. I love florals, especially roses, and tend towards pink and burgundy. I have 3 bar stools that I'm recovering in a pink pillow ticking that I found at Goodwill. The other colors that I love are the 50's reds and blues. I love white painted and distressed furniture with a piece of black furniture thrown in to break things up. If I could live anywhere it would be in an English cottage with lots of florals, chintz, etc -- absolutely love the cottage look.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow, sharon..our taste and all is alot the same..plus the fact that we don't sleep and other things...eerie huh? I guess we both MUST be born with good taste..haha! I am trying to find a new chair for me for the living room..mine is dying fast..has a broken arm now and isn't repairable this time..I want to find a wingback simple chair in a color that will go with the braided rug. Husband's chair in there is a simple leather reclinerd that swivels too..not a real big chair..he isn't a really big guy. When I say a new chair I mean a new USED chair..can't afford a REALLY new one for now..not with a new cow to support..haha.
Kay..the merlot color sounds beautiful! I love to see the cottage ruffly type look..I think it is so soft and dreamy..but I go a little more toward cabiny.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  09:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Diane, i would love to do that. I'll be home for a couple of weeks in May sometime. My Mom and I are planning a road trip down to North Carolina to visit my brother. We're going to take the back way instead of I95. I'm very excited. I know the the Greens but for some reason I can't bring it up in my head. Don't ya just love D-town, I miss it quite a lot. My fav area (where I would live if I moved back to Bucks Co.) is the river area. Like up River Rd. way past New Hope up by Ferry Road area, Point Pleasant.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  09:51:23 AM  Show Profile
it is extremely interesting to read all of your favorite colors and does hint to ones personality.
Every master bedroon in every house I have ever lived in, I have painted periwinkle blue. white trim and breezy white curtains with cherry bedroom furniture and silver assessories. white and periwinkle is my favorite color combo and I have collected textiles and pottery in that combination.
The periwinkle is a particular shade, not too pale. My bedroom makes me feel good every time I walk in.
I do not have white or periwinkle anywhere else in my house.
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  08:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Melissa I will definitely look for you in May. Please contact me with your plans, and we can get together. The trip you are planning sounds great too. I hope you all have a safe and wonderful time.

Yes, I do love Doylestown. And I am with you about anything near the River. I also love the road (don't know route #) that is behind Peddler's Village and leads to Stockton. It is one of my favorite roads and if I ever would relocate in this area, I would look there or the river. The Greens used to be a golf course, so the grounds are really nice with the woods and creek in the middle of it. Does that ring a bell? Behind Barn Cinema is probably your best reference.

See you in May. Take care.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I think River Rd is route 1 and the road your talking about is Mechanicsville Road and I too love that road. My Mom and I always take a ride down that road towards the river everytime I come home.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile
You're right it is mechanicsville road! Do you know what I love about it the most? This time of year (well, slightly later actually) all the leaves turn yellow on it. It is spectacular. I will be going up that way soon, and I will think of you.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  7:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Jenny, we must have been born with the exceptional taste we have!hehehe Good luck finding a chair. I will send good thoughts that you'll find one at a yard sale for $5, or LESS!!! There is a Salvation Army store near me that always has great furniture. The problem is that they always reupholster (or repaint if it's wood) in the worst colors and fabrics! Oh well, keeps me from buying something I don't probably need anyhow...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  9:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Colors do say alot about people! ...as well as the rooms they transform. Aside from loving bold colors, I am also a SUCKER for names....you know...."Playhouse Plum"...."Happy Apple". My cottage is very tiny. If you stand in the living room and do a 360 degree turn, you can see every room. After about a year of living here, despite the adage that white creates space (which in many cases I believe is true), I decided that each of my rooms needed it's own personality. Something to define each space. I went on a wild painting spree, and 2 days later, my bathroom was Playhouse Plum, My Kitchen a color called Autumn Sun, the living room Poppy Red, and the Bedroom, with it's painted white floors...became a sleep sanctuary in Machias Island, a pale shade of blue/green. I'm happy to report that my paint attack worked wonders. The Poppy red in the living room did not close it in, it instead opened it up....made the artwork "pop" & looks wonderful against my gold tufted vintage sofa. The stained blue cupboards in the kitchen are no longer alone, with Autumn Sun warming them up. PlayhousePlum, a deep shade of plum with a hint of chocolate brown, is striking against the white swiss dot curtains. And last but not least, my bedroom is a most soothing place to be... with Machias Island, the color of the sky, as a backdrop for the sunfiltering through a prism in the morning. Each room being a different color even makes the place seem bigger!

By the way, I'm new to the forumn, and I know I just kinda jumped in here....but I wanted to say hello...and thanks! I love the conversations.

Sincerely,
Judes
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  10:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
It's true.
-Judy's Husband ( he asked me to put that)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  08:29:50 AM  Show Profile
CABIN COLORS (the rustic soft browns, greys of aged logs and chinking
EARTH SHADES (again, the browns of dirt, greens of grass and trees, reds of apples, blues of blueberries, Yellow of Sunflowers the soft muted shades of Orange Pumpkins ..
EARLY PATRIOTIC Grande Olde Flag 'stars and stripes'.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Your colors say a lot Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page