Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Am I the only city girl wishing for a goat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I the only city girl wishing for a goat? Next Topic  

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  09:44:16 AM  Show Profile
I live in a very nice neighborhood that doesn't allow farm animals of any type. Trouble is I love my neighbors and I don't want to ever move again. When I go to my in-laws I follow dad around the farm and coo over the chickens, and pick what ever is on at the moment. I love the solitude there. In my heart I think I want to have a farm, and I want a goat. I think they are very cute and I want the milk. I have to go to the fair and get my goat hugs there. Does anyone else have yearnings like this but can't make them a reality? I keep hoping my single girlfriend will either marry are really nice goat farmer or someone willing to keep them.

Tania in Boise

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  10:28:16 AM  Show Profile
Me! I also want a brown cow and some chickens.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Nope! You are in good company here with the Farmgirls! I am planning a major upheaval of my city life in the next year or so. Looking for a smallish town to plant myself. I see chickens and goats in my future. Good luck!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile
My heart is with you Tania! I so want some chickens and would love to have a Nubian goat. We live in town and where as we are allowed 3 chickens, my DH wants to wait until we get a fence all the way around the yard. Well, that's one of those budget things, you know. So for now I enjoy my friend's chickens and dream of nice cold goats milk.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

giveGodtheglory
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tammy
Edmonton AB
Canada
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  08:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see giveGodtheglory's MSN Messenger address  Send giveGodtheglory a Yahoo! Message
Goat's milk, *sigh*. The stuff at the store is so rank compared to the real thing. And yeah, Nuby milk is the very best! Especially nice and warm and fresh from the goat. I grew up with goats and chickens and sometimes the longing to mother little Banty chicks still haunts me. It's so fine to see the way they run after you even after they're grown and have peeps of their own.

0_o
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile
I am dying to have a goat. I once held a baby pigmy goat in my arms who was an hour old. I was hooked that minute. I would also love chickens and a horse, but, like you, I do not live where that is possible. I do have two dogs and two birds in a townhouse. That is pretty ambitious to my neighbors, but they don't know how ambitious I would be if I could have more animals. I sympathize with you.
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  4:12:11 PM  Show Profile
I want a goat! And, some chickens. I'd settle for that, but a pig would be nice. The goat, however, is my top wish. When I worked in the Berkeley hills, every once in a while, the goats would show up, like they were on a field trip, to eat the brush. It's great fire control. I'd always stop and talk to them. They didn't know me so I'd get some pretty suspicious looks.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Judy
Cleveland OH
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  11:54:53 AM  Show Profile
I want a goat so bad! The common plea to my husband lately "please honey! I need a goat! Please can we have a little farm with a pond and a goat and some birds that waddle and follow me around?! I need to, babe, I need to" So far it's working, because he too is starting to long for FarmBoy things like a chicken coop & bails of hay & a tractor. Someday, someday.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile
When we lived in the foothills of Colorado (Evergreen) .. the town had a local 'community theatre' .. i wanted to introduce our daughters to acting .. sooooo .. i took them to try-outs for Tea House of the August Moon (which had a Nannie Goat) in the play. Well, i discovered that those who had been involved in the theatre .. most of their kids had gotten all the children's parts ..

I volunteered to be PROP PERSON .. and YEP! there was a GOAT on that list! I checked the ads in the "Canyon Courier' (our little local newspaper) ..and sure enough .. there were GOATS for sale.

Put my hair in 'braids' and played 'Heidi' .. hiked up the mountains (O.K.!!! I 'DROVE' up the mountain).

I had picked out a little beauty and was ready to load her in the truck when the farmer casually mentioned a very early morning 'milking' ...

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!! (this city-slicker-recently-moved-to-the-mountains) proclaimed!

He repeated his statement and I asked him if i had to actually 'touch' those things! And if so ... coudn't i get by with it about once a week .. and more towards noon-ish?

Farmer Brown didn't 'udder' a word .. he simply led 'Lady Astor' back into the barn .. and came out with a tiny little BOY goat, with gnarly little horns and the sweetest face on any critter i've ever seen!

He promised me that THIS one did not need MILKING!

Well, when i arrived back home ... we all adored him and named him "TROLL" (from a childhood book) .. actually, i think Troll was the monster that hid under the bridge!

I would pack Troll and our two daughters in my tiny little sportscar .. and we'd head for 'rehearsal' several evenings a week. All the way to town, he would sit in the back seat and nibble on our hair until his mouth was at tickling our scalps!

On stage, they had to put a leash around his neck to keep him from wandering off stage .. and when the little actress-girls would pull on it .. he'd fall to his knees and BLEAT loudly .. at which point, the mother in me .. would rush to to stage to rescue him!

My daughter just calmly walked on stage and showed them how to gently control him (he had already become her pet!) .. Well, needless to say .. my daughter 'got a children's part' in Teahouse of the August Moon!

Back home on the farm ... Troll learned to butt the front door open, come in and eat all the plants .. poop .. and leave gracefully! And i swear .. there was NOTHING he could not climb!

Troll became a true part of our family!
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  4:15:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your delightful story. I am enjoying goat ownership vicariously. Probably better that way anyway.

Tania
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I the only city girl wishing for a goat? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page