Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need ideas for a farm name Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile
In the past month I have read some wonderful stories about how everyone has come up with a name. And they are so endearing. My daughter and I have been working hard off and on trying to come up with a name for our family farm.

Description of our property: We live on 5 acres; we are surrounded by a creek almost 3/4 of our property. We live on Silver Butte, we have a lot of wind, and my daughter has a flower name. I plan on expanding our garden; I may sell produce at a later time (Organic). I plan on creating a wedding garden over the next 5 years. We live one mile from the Pacific Ocean, and it's very windy here, our location is called Paradise Point. We have chickens, but at this time no other farm animals.

We've come up with a few ideas’ "Windy Acres Organic Farm", "Silver Butte O.F.", and “Heather Acres O. F.” "Tree Frog O F", "Blackberry Creek O F", Ocean Breeze, Sea mist, Paradise, & Crowing Rooster O.F.

So what do you think? I just want it to be nice, and fit our future plans (Wedding garden & Organic Farming).

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  8:49:43 PM  Show Profile
I like the title "Windy Acres Organic Farm" and "Blackberry Creek O.F." ya'll came up with!

Only other names I could think of were something like:

"Windy Dreams Organic Farms"

"Heather's Bliss & Blossum Organic Gardens"

Sorry, I couldn't think of more options for ya's. Good luck with your plans, sounds like a lovely place ya have there!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  9:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't know why, but I like Tree Frog O.F. best

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  9:29:44 PM  Show Profile
I am drawn to Blackberry creek O.F. I think it sounds homey and "fresh". Good luck deciding!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your idea's, I think Clare you are right. I need to be careful about the name not implying bad weather. I want something homey and heart warming. I know it may seem like an awful lot on a name, but it's just real important to me that we start things off right. I feel like I am leaning toward "Blackberry creek O.F", or I love Sher's idea about "Heather's Bliss & Blossom Organic Gardens".

Do you all think changing it to Organic Gardens sounds a lot better? Does it still sound homey?

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile
This may be a stupid question -- why is Organic in the name? Will it help market your wedding business? Are your flower gardens 'organic'? Do you need to pass some kind of muster to use the word Organic?

I think I'd favor Blackberry Creek Gardens (or Blackbery Creek Organic Gardens) rather than the longer 'Heather's Bliss & Blossom Organic Gardens' -- that's a mouthful, especially on wedding invitations. (And I have an aversion to posessives in a name. Just me.) Keep it simple.

I do like the word 'Bliss'. Good connotations for a wedding site!

I think 'Gardens' is homey. . . do you have a barn? Are you farming some of the 5 acres? Would you rather have 'Farm' in the name so you can also use it to market your veggies later on? Or do you want two names: Tree Frog Gardens and Tree Frog Organic Farm.

And about that wind: Will you be making some sort of windscreen around the wedding location? I'm thinking a windbreak of flowering shrubs and evergreens farther away and then some lattice fence panels placed just so -- the panels not necessarily all connected but giving some definition to the space. . . . maybe with climbing roses and jasmine and clematis. . . . That's enough from me. Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  2:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Great idea's...
I thought about organic, because I do plan on selling my produce in the near future, and organic gardening is becoming so very important to me. But you are right, when it comes to wedding invitations having organic doesn't really feel right. So it's food for thought.

My mom just suggested Heather Hollow, I thought that was really cute.

As far as the wind, we will be building a substantial wind break around the wedding gardens. Our wind issues are worst in winter when it wouldn't be appropriate for outside weddings. 100+ mile an hour winds from the south.

Thank you so much for all your feedback, it's wonderful getting ideas from such creative and inspiring women.

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Windy Creek Farms
Ocean Creek Farms
Sea Creek Farms
Sea Heather Farms
Heather Creek Hollow Farm * I like this one
Sea Breeze Hollow Farm
Sea Breeze Farm
Just some ideas to play with.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  11:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
We have a wedding place close to the farm and it is called Panola Gardens. I think Keeping it simple for the wedding part, like Heather's Garden or Blissful Gardens and then doing something similar for the farm part almost like a sub part. Think of the top 3 things you want in the wedding garden, the things that when you walk in you go ooohh. Work that in your title. The word you use to name your garden should bring these things to mind.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  7:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Beth I really like your idea about keeping them seperate. Maybe trying to find one name to fit everything is why I kept running into a road block. Thank you for the great ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  10:09:48 AM  Show Profile
I agree with keeping them seperate as you will probably have to for accounting reasons anyway.
Do you look like a farm? Getting married on "a farm" might be a great promotional gimick, I do not know your area though. We have some farms in our area that do this. One uses tents in the lawn ( near a stream, pond and big white house) one uses it's carraige barn for the receptions and one uses it's barn. The ceremonies happen anywhere on the grounds one wants. All three cater nothing, you bring in your own caterer.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  12:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Well I just returned from my sisters wedding in CA and it's really made me think. I am not sure that I would want all of the people and the alcohol on our property, after all. I know it must sound so wishy washy, but I always had in mind the wedding I didn't think about people drinking. It was a little much for me to handle. I am not against celebrating, but it's usually the few that make it un-enjoyable. Unfortunately, this reception had more than a few people getting snookered, and it was like a big light bulb blazing in my face. So right now I think we will concentrate on the gardening and farming and come up with our name keeping this in mind.

My thanks to all of your for your great ideas and inspiration.

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  1:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I think you are right about the carousing thing. Our ladies club has a hall we rent, and after some problems, we just outlawed alcohol. If people have to drink, there is a bar across the road, we just can't have it in our hall. Some people will not rent the hall because of this, but that is the way it is.
Almost all of the ideas I think of for making more money on the ranch involve people and I just can't see us happy with "the public" roaming all over our place. And insurance for most things is very costly.
As far as the name, I vote for Heather's Hollow. Or just Heather Hollow.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  10:31:46 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to let everyone know I think I have picked the name for our farm. "Silver Butte Creek Farm" I just found out this past week the little creek that runs through our property is actually called Silver Butte Creek, so I figured it fits us best.
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile
So many lovely ideas!

How about:

Silver Creek Farm (a blend of your town and surroundings)

Paradise Organic Farm (landmarks again and a possible wedding theme)

Those are just a few thoughts ... best to you!

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, but this may sound stupid, but do you want "Butte" in the title of your place? Maybe I'm just a city girl, but, well, doesn't it come across a lot like "butt"? Just a thought... -Cat
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  4:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Tammy -- I love the name you picked out!

Catherine -- Butte is pronounced with a long u sound.

Handcrafted soaps and sundries at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

Edited by - therusticcottage on May 13 2006 4:18:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

nettakay
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

annette
kingston tn
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  8:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello girlfriends, I am new at this, actually my first time chatting with y'all. I am needing some ideas for a farm name, and it looks like I came to the right place for help. We have 40 acres of land which some of it is pasture and some woods with a creek. I raise Nubian goats and chickens, guineas, and a llama. I grow a big vegetable garden of which I do alot of canning from it this time of the year. It is very peaceful here. I thought about using my fathers name somehow, but it was most unusual, Odeva Mack. He is deceased now and at one time farmed the land. My husband like Peaceful Meadows, Peaceful Valley, but those are way to popular farm names. Help.
Cowgirlmack
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree with making it a no alcohol location. You'll still get weddings. I've been to plenty and it wasn't allowed due to religion or the cost. You might find you don't get as many weddings as other places, but that might be good since you're just starting. You might get your name out to all the local wedding photographers as a good place for photoshoots. Not sure on fees for that.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need ideas for a farm name Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page