Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Great idea for spice storage! Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  04:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could say I thought of it but alas all my ideas come from others or magazines etc. This one I saw last night on Good Eats on the food network. It was about spices and the host said to get these lightweight tins (and I know what he's talking about...they come in all sizes and they're inexpensive...you can get them through www.leevalley.com which is a great place for lots of stuff...anyway I digress). So, you get the tins and you put the date you bought the spice on the inside of the lid and of course on the outside top of the lid you put the name of the spice....but wait! It gets better!
You get some velcro tape...it looked to be 1-2 inches wide and you place strips of it on the inside of your cabinet doors and the other piece on the bottom of the tin and then when you stick the tin on the strip the name of the spice on the top of the lid is facing you! Isn't that a great idea???
I was SO impressed because I have a whole cupboard of spices...most of which I should get rid of....they say 6 months tops for spices to stay fresh....I will not divulge how old some of those spices I have could be but we're talkin' OLD! Like years and years not months.
Anyway, I could clear out my entire spice cupboard and have lots more room and who doesn't need more room in their kitchen? Plus, I learned too that spices should be kept away from heat and light so those glass jars they've been selling us just make them lose their essence even faster! Who knew?
So....I was wanting to share this A.S.A.P. and I may be able to utilize this for one of my badges for the Farmgirl Sisterhood!?!
Hope you think it is as neat an idea as I did and that it will help you in some way to give you more room in your kitchen!
Happy Seasoning!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  06:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:28:45 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea!!! I for one, have WAY too many spices, as if that's possible, but they're packed into my cabinet like sardines and they fall out on my head while I'm cooking. It's FUN.

I think I'd still have some taking up cabinet space, but that's a great idea for me to utilize....thanks for posting it!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Love this idea only one problem is these crazy folks i paid to put my cabinents in have yet to come back and put in the doors. but when they do I will be sure to try this. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you're liking it! And www.LeeValley.com is a great resource for gardening, tools and hardware too but they have all different sizes of those tins just like the ones what's his face was showing on T.V. last night.
Now....there's a million and one great ideas out there....it's the implementing step that I always fall behind on! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sandra! Isn't it a great idea?
I've been using those little round metal spice tins for a few years now. (I got the ones with the see-through tops, can't remember where). I intended to put them inside the cupboard door with velcro (or a strip of magnet works too!) but I was weary of the lids falling off. They didn't seem super secure, though I'm sure it depends on the type of tin you get. I just line all mine up in a drawer and it works great. I can't imagine having bottles and packets of spices around again, this is so much easier.

ps LeeValley tools is the best. Everything there is really high quality stuff.

Good luck! -meg

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  2:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Yes! Meg...I LOVE Lee Valley and when their catalogs come..I make a cup of tea and sit down with my highlighter and go through the whole thing....I have a "wish list" for a lot of their stuff and it is excellent quality and excellent service. Hey....the magnet sounds even better! and I like the see-through lid option! I haven't done this yet but I have a whole hutch filled with spices and I have got to do something! Thanks for your tips....a better mousetrap!
Has it warmed up for you yet?

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
Here's a pic of my spices-

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  12:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! Is that all you have though???? Oh...you just got married too didn't you? No wonder...I'm old enough to be your grandmother probably so that's why I have so many and you have so few! LOL! Want some? I have hundreds....plus I get that darn catalog from Penzeys....their spices are awesome and so is their hot chocolate mix...the best next to homemade! I hate to do this to you but here goes.... www.penzeys.com I know you'll just love them..I do! And they have great recipes in their catalog....yummo!
Thanks for the picture...I get so motivated by others and their postings. I am going to start taking pictures....it is really nice when people do that. Thanks

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  1:57:49 PM  Show Profile
what a great idea.. and I too have tons of spices- I buy them by the pound!

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  4:35:47 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea, thanks for passing it on....it's nice to know Food Network can offer something besides just making me hungry!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Very exciting. I am trying to start making my own spices. Store bought are irradiated, much like milk over in europe. It amazes me they say only a 6 month shelf life. I think that is to have you buy more. Spices last a long time.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  4:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Penzeys is AWESOME (and expensive and addictive) but givem a try. We have a store here in Nebraska called World Market that sell those litte tins inexpensively (it's one of those asian import type stores), I bet you can find them localy at any import type store. Great idea with the velcro!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:32:29 AM  Show Profile
I know...I love Penzeys too!!!! But yes...pricey! Have you ever tried their hot chcolate mix...THE BEST!!!! The reason I include websites is for gals like me that live so far away from everything that it is nigh on to impossible to get stuff except through the internet. It is 45 minutes to the nearest Walmart and that's ALL there is without driving 2-3 hours and I ain't kiddin! With gas prices it is cheaper to pay the shipping than go shopping....so while most "go shopping" I " go shipping"! LOL! So...for those of us who are "off the grid" of the shopping malls please include the website....it would be "muchly" appreciated! Ha! Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Great idea for spice storage! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page