Page: of 3

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I saw this at Costco. Put it in and out of the cart three times. Guess I'll have to put it in and keep it there next trip!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  7:55:18 PM  Show Profile
I just finished this book. I liked it, but I have to say that I have very mixed feelings about the last 2 or 3 chapters. It kind of makes me think that it's saying the Bible isn't REALLY Gods word, or, at the LEAST, that the Bible is not entirely TRUE. It also never speaks of how the BIBLE describes the cause of evil in this world-- and that is Satan and his Demons. Not ONCE does the book ever mention them, when the Bible CLEARLY proclaims that Satan is the "Ruler of the Earth," the "Prince of Darkness" and the "ENEMY" of God and mankind. (there are TONS of scripture on the subject) Although I DO know that the Bible also says he is BENEATH us and only has the power that man is WILLING to give him. (and I say he as NO power over ME!! Our Pastor tells us this: "If you want to write Satan a note -- tape it to the BOTTOM OF YOUR SHOE!!!").

Oh, and it also basically said that Hell does not exist and pretty much implied that NO ONE gets sent there. Well, I personally DO believe that there is a Hell. (and I certainly don't want to end up there!!!) Did anyone else pick that up about the book? Other than that, I think it DID do a very good job of describing God's love for us and how he wants to be a part of us in our normal everyday lives, and that we SHOULDN'T be afraid of him. I also thought the "Judgement" part-- where Mack meets Sophia-- painted quite a powerful picture of one of human kinds biggest Faults! Aren't we ALL a just a LITTLE guilty of that? Otherwise, it was a good read. I'll be passing it along. ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Just got it! After all these comments I've decided to start reading it right away! Susan
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Just started reading The Shack, and am about 1/4 of the way through it...I have NEVER been spiritual or religious in any way, and have never put a lot of thought into my feelings about those things. I figured now was as good a time as any to maybe confront my feelings with the ways and doings of the religious side of life and see how I feel about it after reading this book. Just a quick question before I delve into anything...the ladybug lapel pin...has anyone else ever seen one of those or are they popular items??? The book makes it sound like it's a rare thing because they say they have never been able to identify where the kidnapper bought them from, etc etc etc...after I see how many people have one/have seen one, I'll go on with why I am asking :)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:19:13 PM  Show Profile
I have never seen one

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Anyway, I guess my point is, that I have one. When I was little we had a neighbor, Ruth, who helped my mom take care of me while my dad was out of the country frequently on business. She passed away when I was in elementary school and we were in another state. We couldn't make it to her funeral, but when we visited her husband a year or so later, he gave me a stuffed bear with wings and a scripture quote on its belly...with a ladybug lapel pin stuck into the patch with the scripture on it. I slept with that bear every night and when I was growing up and having problems with alcoholism in my family, I prayed to Ruth every night, thinking that when she died she became an angel and went to heaven, and since I didn't grow up with any church influence, I didn't feel like praying to God was realistic, but praying to Ruth was in my mind. Anyway, when the alcoholism didn't magically disappear, I quit praying to Ruth, and put the angel bear and lapel pin in a box and haven't opened it up since. I wondering if maybe I was meant to read this story and see that maybe I was on the right track all along, that praying to Ruth because I had a relationship with her DID make sense, and that even though things didn't magically get better, it doesn't mean that I can't find peace and happiness and accepting that relationship with "Ruth", and ultimately with God?! Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest so I could sort out my thoughts :) Thanks for listening...

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile
I think God was a woman because of the love and admiration he had for his beloved wife. Susan
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Wow. This is such a tuff subject. The "Spiritual" aspect bred into man is such a very PERSONAL thing!! It's also the thing that causes the most WARS!!!!!

It sounds like you have a lot of questions Whitney, about God and the process of prayer. One thing you could do is speak to one of Gods followers-- it's best if it's someone you know and trust. You can also pick up a bible at a Christian book store-- there are much easier to read versions out there now and a clerk can always help you pick the best one for you.

Humans are BORN with a need to know more of where we came from and WHY. We all know that we didn't happen "by accident" and I, PERSONALLY, know that I did NOT evolve from APES!! If I DID, then WHY are there STILL Apes? I Know enough about science and Biology to know that if one species EVOLVES so completely it usually means the END of the "original" species. But that's just MY take on the whole "Evolution" thing. I know, without a single doubt in my own heart and mind that God DOES exist and that HE is my creator. I was raised in the Church (several in fact!), but I had many questions of my own that not just ONE person, or ONE "religion" could answer. At 37, I am still seeking answers--- and God is still helping me find them. As long as we ask, we will find it. As the bible says "Seek and Ye Shall Find" (part of Matthew 7:7--one scripture of many) Good luck on your quest hon. And don't be afraid to explore the possibilities further. Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  3:45:56 PM  Show Profile
I have the book, but haven't started to read it yet. Now, I'm really interested, so I think I'll begin it tonight, if I don't work on wreaths.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  07:52:12 AM  Show Profile
I am almost done with the book. What great topics the book covers. Questions I did not even know I had are in there.

I decided to finallly read the bible this year. I got the Charles Stanley version that you do a little bit each day and he teaches what certain parts mean. I love doing it this way and have learned so much.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  6:56:38 PM  Show Profile
This was quite a book, very throught provoking! I agree with Sheryl-lyn that it brought up questions and ideas that I'd never really considered before. Good stuff!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Just finished this book last night. It sure merits reading. Will be interested to see the movie version as well!!! Janneane
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  1:24:01 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a lady bug pin when I was younger, like highschool...I was a
"preppy" and lapel pins like that were popular on blouses, sweaters etc but I don't think I still have it but I rarely go in my jewelry box so...it might still be there.
Anyway, I read the book and it is finally closer to how I personally view God than anything. The Bible may be the word of God or so they tell us but lets face it...men wrote it and it has been translated many times and religion back then was one of the ways the rulers controlled the people...in some religions it still is. I think God lives in my heart and as long as I don't go against that I think I'll be okay, hopefully. All I know is that I am happier than most people I meet, I'm not afraid of dying (although I REALLY don't want to suffer) and I think our first and foremost responsiblity to God is to be happy....as a parent what do you want for your children....I know for me I want them to be happy (of course not at the expense of anyone else) and so I do everything in my power to be happy every day. That may seem like a simplification but it has enormous positive effects for your health, your neighbors, your family, the world! And.....it makes my God smile bigtime!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

proudnanaof3
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Kim
Denton NC
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  4:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I read The Shack several months ago and often suggest it to patrons that visit the library. When I started it I really had a hard time putting it down until I finished it. I feel that this book was well written that even if you do not believe or know God it will make you questions things a little more. Growing up in the 60's my Bible learning was of fear, hell and damnation. The Shack portrayed God as more of a friendly spirit that just wants you to talk to him and be happy with yourself. Forget all of the fancy prayers and trying to sound good, God just wants us to have more of a conversation with Him and come to Him with an open heart.

Farmgirl Sister #295

If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  9:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Wow I started this book Saturday night and finished it today. Wow. I loved it and I am hoping that my husband will read it. Just the way I want to imagine God, a sweet kind spirit, who doesnt look down on me when I spout off a dirty word,or have too short a fuse.
The book was Beautiful, thank you for suggesting it..

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  05:31:03 AM  Show Profile
I just finished this book yesterday too. I really enjoyed it. Actually I am going to read it again so I can fully absorb everything I read. Makes you see things in a new perspective.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile
I went out to buy The Secret and the young, male salesperson rolled his eyes and said, "You are soooo behind...it's The Shack now. Ya want that one too?"
"Might as well..."
Now I've got to find some time to do some reading!!
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Shack as well. I might be in the minority in that the first several chapters have been a hard read for me. Something about the way it's written doesn't quite flow for me. The concept and story line keep me reading though. Fascinating!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  07:47:00 AM  Show Profile
You're not the only one that had that problem Theresa. I had a hard time wanting to read more because of the flow of the writing but the story line kept me going.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile
This is my second time through the book and I found that the first time was a journey but the second time there were more nuggets to discover
Madison

We are all pumpkin people. Choose which face you carve.
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:03:09 AM  Show Profile
The pastor of our church just finished a series on The Shack - thought you might enjoy. You can download the series at this link. See "The Shack Series" and start with the earliest date or most interesting topic.
http://www.vineyardnorth.com/mcms_page_sermonlist_series.php?nav=p-8527

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com

Edited by - Forrester Farm on Dec 03 2008 08:06:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:15:20 AM  Show Profile
I read that book last month. It certainly makes one think about when the most horrible things happen in life and people always ask why didn't God intervene.

I also loved how this author showed the Trinity.

I highly recommend this book.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  6:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Our book club just read and discussed it yesterday. It certainly gives a lot of food for thought and makes us think again about questions that may have been in our minds all our lives concerning God and the trinity. There are churches here in town doing bible studies around the book. I have not truly sorted out my feelings to the point where I can share how it made me feel. I have taken a lot of bible study classes, and saw a lot of symbolism and deep biblical knowledge in it. I think it was biblically correct in many ways, although a little "out there" in other ways. If a person reads it who has never studied a bible, I wonder how they would react? I think I need to read parts of it again.....but I love how it clung to hope and love and faith, and how we can lean into those things during the dark days.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I enjoyed the Shack and found that it helped me understand better my need to forgive those who hurt me and release them to God. It makes me want to exercise this more in my life and I've found a freedom in that. I totally agree with the statement that the book is trying to tell us that we do not know God like He wants us to....I would say that is hitting the nail on the head. I am longing for a deeper relationship with Him as my heavenly Father especially since my earthly father was not everything I would have liked, though I love him very much now.

Carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I've bought this book to give to my cousin for Christmas after reading about it here. Now after reading what you all think about it makes me want to read it before I wrap it up. I hope she doesn't mind.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Shack Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page