Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  5:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I am reading a book called "the Shack"...really good and hard to put down so far! I picked it up at Barnes and Noble while up north in the city yesterday..I am half done with it and will no doubt finish tonight. Have any of you read it? It is very good so far!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  7:03:14 PM  Show Profile
What is it about and who is the author?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  7:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jenny,
I havent read it.. but cannot wait to hear your book report :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  11:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Okay..the author is William P. Young..this is what is says on the back...I am not good at summarizing...
Mackenzie Allen Phillip's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandaoned shack deep in the Oregona wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack recieves a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.
Against his better judgement he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.
In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant THE SHACK wrestles with the timeless questions, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.

okay..this is me again....it isnt like a horror thing... what he finds at the shack is good. I am about 2/3 finished and won't go to sleep tonight until I finish...really liking it..although it isn't exactly how I personally beleive it is very good and I am sure enjoying it.
It is a pretty new book in paperback as far as I know..it was in the new section at B and N yesterday. It has really glowing reviews.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  12:20:48 AM  Show Profile
that really sounds like a good read. I'm glad you told us what happens in the shack is good. I get so emotionally involved in a book that I can't read anything too tragic. I would be depressed for days! (smiles)

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile
I heard an interview with the author on a program called Haven Today.
I believe he wrote this book for his children and never really intended
it to be out in the public. If you are interested you could listen to the
interview on Haven Today at: http://www.haventoday.org/ or just
read about the book.
Go to Top of Page

D-arling
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

T.
Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile
I have read this book along with a friend of mine. It was truly was an amazing book to me. It made me look at my Heavenly Father as so much more intimate and approachable. We lost our 20yr. old son in an auto accident on July 1, 2003, so this book really touched my heart in a very sweet but different way. Hard to explain!!
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  05:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great book, Im like Lea I get very into books so to am glad you let us know its a good thing that happens at the shack not bad.
D-arling what part of Ga are you from? I keep seeing more Ga girls eventually someone is going to be near me! Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

D-arling
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

T.
Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  05:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Ga Girl,

I am in Marietta, about 25 mile northwest of Atlanta. Where is Meansville?

By God's strength, holding on beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:41:32 AM  Show Profile
D-arling, Meansville is below Griffin by about 30min. your about an hour or so away give or take a little. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Do you think Christian book stores would carry it...? It has a faith based plot, but you got it at Barnes and Noble, so I was curious. I'll have to call around and see if I can find it.... I'm working up a good list of books to read today, lol.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Haha...they do have it. I'm going to take a lunch break and go get it! The store is just up the road from where I work.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  09:51:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm just a little over halfway done with it! It is a very interesting story, to be sure. I don't agree with all of the principles, but it has me doing a lot of thinking -- definitely a good thing, lol.

Thinking about a couple things, specifically...one, how the trinity is portrayed. I always think of the trinity like a diamond...all part of one unit, but with different facets that reflect different things, yet they all reflect the same light. What caught me here, is the way the Holy Spirit (Sarayu) was portrayed. Traditionally, the Holy Spirit isn't given much emphasis, and is made to sound like a silent, somber part of this Diety. So thinking about the beautiful, happy, all-over-the-place vibes as Sarayu has in the story is kinda a breath of fresh air.

Also, the chapter where Mack is judging had me completely captivated. The pent up anger and confusion that all came up and out for him, how he finally saw things in a clearer light and reached a conclusion...

Good read. Different, challenging, but good.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  7:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - I read this book in about two days. I could not put it down. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It is very challenging and makes you really think.

It made me think of the trinity in a whole different light. I've always kind of thought of it as being separate - not together. Sarayu's garden made me very happy. And I love the way that God was portrayed. I think my favorite part was when Jesus and Mack were laying on the dock looking up at the stars together. Made me feel even closer to him.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Finished reading it this afternoon. Now I'm going to pack it up and send it off to my bf to read.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  8:56:50 PM  Show Profile
I was given a copy of the Shank in April. I read it the first time in 2 days, Then it I read it again making notes and Bible references. I put it away for 2 month and now I'm reading it for the third time. It takes a lot of thinking and digesting. I gave copies to 2 good friend and we're meeting this summer to discuss it. I'm still finding new ideas to ponder. If you have not read the Shack. Try it but ready to cry and sing.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  09:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Tomorrow is the day my dh and I go to B&N! I think I'll have to look it up! thanks Aunt Jenny for reccommending it! Susan
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  10:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thanks AJ!! I ordered it from the Library and can't wait to dive into it!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:44:22 PM  Show Profile
I finished reading The Shack last week and carried it over to a friends yesterday. It sat on her outside porch table for three hours, and was picked up by about 5 other folks who all asked different questions about it. The best question was "in one sentence, what's the message?" my answer was "we do not know God the way He wants us to" After my friend is done w/ it I'll read it again. It really challenged my thinking, took me to the Bible to make sure things squared, and took me to a place of constant prayer. I would recommend this book to anyone EXCEPT one who's JUST lost a child, the emotions would be too raw I think. Maybe in a year or so, but not yet.
P~

living a good neighbor life

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  8:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Just bumping this up..

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  5:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I'm sure you've finished it by now. What did you think? I'm still hemming and hawing over the authors portrayal of God as a woman, not just in this book but in his other writings as well. Maybe that's how the author sees God, but the Bible is clear in emphasising the maleness of God...Opinions?
P~

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  6:08:13 PM  Show Profile
My feelings are that if you are that powerful, all-knowing and all-seeing I think sex male or female is irrelavant. When I pray I say Amen AND Awomen...I feel there are males and females to give balance to the world and the reason our world is so out of balance is that it is mostly men that are in charge...not sure that was how it was meant to be....but that's just me.
I have not read the Shack but I'm definitely interested now!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I did finish and really liked the book. It really makes you feel like you matter and that God loves you and that we don't know Him the way he wants us to. I have always felt that God (who I consider my Heavenly Father) is male....and there are other things that don't go along with my basic beliefs in the book, but I loved the story, the love and the message.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

D-arling
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

T.
Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't think that the author is implying that God is a female, but that he wants us to see God as beyond how we would "think" of God....the grandfatherly figure with the white flowing beard, or however you think of Him. He is so much more than we can imagine. (I don't know that I have explained it in the right words.) I do know in my heart what I am trying to say. For me as a mother who lost a 20 year old son in an auto accident five years ago, this book did make me think alot about how I see God, how I feel about God through all that I am facing, past and present. And how I look towards my future here on this side of heaven and when I see my Heavenly Father, face to face, with my son waiting to see me. What a WONDERFUL day that will be.

By God's strength, holding on beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  8:33:59 PM  Show Profile
That is a very good way to explain how the book makes me feel too T.!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  07:59:02 AM  Show Profile
We don't know Him the way He wants us to, that hit's it on the head doesn't it! I wrote that in another post, that was my answer to the good question "in one sentence, what's the message of the book?" It has taken God out of the box I had him in, the big sort of scary man who loves me but also has to be separate from me in order to let the bad things happen (my former thoughts) I showed me how he's never separate from me, even when I feel that he is. Does that make sense?

quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I did finish and really liked the book. It really makes you feel like you matter and that God loves you and that we don't know Him the way he wants us to. I have always felt that God (who I consider my Heavenly Father) is male....and there are other things that don't go along with my basic beliefs in the book, but I loved the story, the love and the message.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Shack Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page