Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Colonial Revival Chandelier Quandry.............
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Colonial Revival Chandelier Quandry............. Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Well as some of you know from an earlier thread.....We have been doing some remodeling on our kitchen and unfortunately we had one BIG thing happen that I am quite SAD about......We have a wonderful Colonial Revival Chandelier from about C.1920 that hangs over our Round Oak Table in our kitchen.......It was one of the first antiques my Honey and I bought the first year we were married and we were living in California. We really LOVE that Chandelier because it has been with us for 38 years (in different houses) and looks perfect with our old oak table.......We had it tied up so nothing would hit it during the remodel.......Wellllllllllllllll one of the workman hit it (accidentally) with a piece of granite he was carrying and cracked one of the ORIGINAL globes!!!!!!!!!! Soooooo I am asking your advice .... What Would You Do??? I know it is just a material thing but.... it holds so many wonderful memories for us !

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  08:47:05 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, are the globes replaceable? I know that they are original, but there are some fabulous restoration places out there that basically "remake" them, or what about salvage? We have a local lighting place, Grainger, that will order parts for you from all over the world to make it right again. There are still companies in Germany and France that make items that the US doesn't even consider anymore.

I would do my best to see if it's repairable...and I'd see about asking about the liability insurance of the company working in your house. See if they won't cover the cost of fixing it.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Jonni,

Thanks!!.... ...I am going to check on the place you suggested, Grainger, and see if they have a website. I will also run a check on the net of other places too.

I know a couple of people have antique shops that are on the Farmgirl Connection, so if any of you JUST HAPPEN to have a set of 4 glass globes from the Colonial Revival Period C.1907-1935 that you think might work, I would be soooooo happy to pay you a good price for them!!!! I believe they need to have an opening at the top (where they screw into the hanging part) of 2 1/4". Or if anyone happens to be wondering around in some antique stores today or in the next few days and just happen to run in to some ..... maybe you could send me the name of the shop and their email...................Would appreciate any and all HELP!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the chandelier so we can see the globes?

I can suggest two places to try online. When we were looking for a new chandelier for our Colonial Revival house last fall, we saw lots of nice ones at www.rejuvenation.com. They have a huge variety of globes available and you can buy those separately from the chandeliers.

Also, for actual old globes salvaged, there's www.historichouseparts.com. You never know, they might happen to have the style you need.
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  9:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Amie....Thank You!! I went to both sites and they are going to be so helpful! I am going to go back and write an email to both places as well as the place Jonni suggested!! I took a picture of the Chandelier. I believe the globes are hand painted bisque. The front globe has the crack...it actually goes all the way up the globe and has a sliver of the glass missing but it doesn't show well in the picture. Hope EVERYONE will be on the lookout for me! It has a 2 1/4 neck.

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  06:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Audrey - You might check ebay, too, Audrey. I've found several of the vintage light fixtures for our old farmhouse on ebay. And I know I've seen just globes on their at times, too.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Thanks Janice!......Iv'e been keeping an eye on ebay....So far haven't seen anything. I'll keep checking!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Colonial Revival Chandelier Quandry............. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page