Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Old style baling wire canning instructions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Old style baling wire canning instructions? Next Topic  

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  05:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Over the past month I have become obsessed and picked up about a hundred old Atlas E-Z seal type jars with the baling wire and glass lids. Does anyone have a reference on how to use these for canning? I think they use the parrafin to seal, but I have only used the modern ring-and-lid style.

Farmgirl Sister #204

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer,
I think you are right.. they use parrafin to seal... but I havent done it.. let me know how it works out..... maybe you can share the ins and outs when you get it all figured out :) ( the student becomes the teacher)...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I thought they used detachable rubber rings to seal (not built into the lid, like modern throw-away lids). Don't know if you can still get the rubber rings in stores.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  2:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, they did use a separate rubber rings on those jars once upon a time ago. They are now considered unsafe for canning. I have never used parafin just because I hated picking all the chunks out of the food. I have lots of those jars with the glass lids and I use them for storing dry goods like herbs, nuts, seeds, baking powder and other baking needs that I buy in bulk. I have them all displayed on shelves over my baking counter where they are handiest during the mixing.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  08:26:09 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any rubber rings, just the lids and glass caps. But I most definitely do not want to court botulism! Eeewww.
Right now I'm using a bunch in my craft/sewing room to hold everything from thread spools to rickrack to old stamps. I may just use the others to store dry pantry goods....

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  6:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer,
Have you checked out Lehmans.com (or their magazine) I'm thinking they have the rubber rings that you'll need.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9416 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9416 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:34:53 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer,
I have some of those jars and I use them for storing stuff in not canning as they no longer consider safe from spoilage. Something about the way they seal.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  11:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Yup, they take rubber rings, but we have bacteria strains in food that we didn't used to have, so for canning food its just not save. How about storing dry goods in those jars...peas,beans,grain. Pretty and practical!

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Old style baling wire canning instructions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page