Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 A cookbook after every Farmgirl's Heart!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A cookbook after every Farmgirl's Heart!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  09:35:18 AM  Show Profile
What other must-have "farmgirl cookbooks" does anyone recommend?! I am trying to start a good collection :)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  9:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie, I got my cookbook from Amazon on Tuesday and have made the sauerkraut rye bread 2 times. The first one did not get done inside so I changed the method some. It didnot tell you to let the dough raise in the pan before baking. I let it raise about 30 minutes before baking. It relly is tasty.
I have marked many more to try. Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful cookbook.
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  9:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hey Jonni, I just ordered this off of ebay for $4.99 brand new. So now I can't wait to get my own copy!!! Everyone has such wonderful things to say about it. I love cookbooks anyway though. I just signed up for the cookbook swap. Thank you for recommending the cookbook! Hey I have a scathingly brilliant idea - maybe we should all submit a recipe and publish it as The Farmgirls Cookbook!!! Wouldn't that be fun!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  06:21:22 AM  Show Profile
I've had my book for 2 weeks now...but it's been a BUSY past 2 weeks so I have not had time to prepare any of the recipes. Well, company is gone....and I have promised myself that I WILL make a couple of the recipes. Since tomatoes are sooooo abundant right now, I'm going to make the "Oven Dried Tomatoes"...which is a very simple recipe....and I will be able to use them in so many different dishes. And I will also make the "Farm Fresh Cheese"...as I have always wanted to make some...but have never been brave enough. You ladies make me brave enough because I know that if something goes awry and it doesn't turn out like it is suppose to, I can ask what I did wrong...and you will be kind enough to help me figure it out. That is one of the many reasons I love this place!!!

And.......
Miss Whitney....Here's my suggestion for a "must have" cookbook. I LOVE "The Cotton Country Collection".....It is put out by the Junior League of Monroe (Louisiana) Inc. My sister bought it for me in 1977...and it quickly became my favorite cookbook. I have used it soooo many times, and have written in the margins...made notes on some of the recipes. It is the first book I grab when I want to try something new. My niece was looking through it one day....and kept saying she wanted to take it home with her. I couldn't part with it...but told her I would buy one for her...and she said she wanted mime because it had all the notes in the margins. I found a copy of the book on eBay....and I went through it page by page and put all my notes by the recipes....and gave it to her. She LOVES it!!! Anyway.....short story turned loooong...
That's my recommendation.

What recipes have any of you ladies tried....out of the Prairie Home Cooking??

Ciao,
Kate

Farmgirl sister

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

sewcross
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

54 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  2:28:48 PM  Show Profile
I just made the Buttermilk-Oatmeal Bread. My husband loves homemade bread and this turned out great! I would certainly recommend it. I made mine in my bread machine.

Remember, you are unique-- just like everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Checking old threads, and saw this...just ordered the cookbook from my library~ thanks!!

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Cool!!! I'm so glad everyone has made something that they enjoy, or have ordered the book for themselves.

Who is making the oven fried tomatoes? If you have an abundance of maters, my neighbor borrowed the cookbook last Summer and made the yellow tomato soup with olive tapenade and she said it was phenomenal!

I will have to try the Rye bread, as I've been hankering for a real true rueben at the house. And the oatmeal bread sounds fabulous, to boot.

I really enjoyed the pantry section of the book--does anyone have any comments about that part yet?

Carol...I'm game. We should all make something from a section now and again and formulate our "submissions" :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Whitney, I too second some of the Junior League cookbooks for hands down favorites. I think my favorite (out of the several I own) is called Southern Sideboards, from the Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi. See if you can drum that one up for your collection :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  5:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Finally got my Prairie Home Cooking Book! I do love it and the little stories in there are so interesting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A cookbook after every Farmgirl's Heart!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page