Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ideas for breakfast bars/ snack bars needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ideas for breakfast bars/ snack bars needed Next Topic  

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  07:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Hello there,
since I decided to completely ignore my vile school cafeteria next school year I would like to brown bag it all year and even take my snacks. So I would love to get some ideas or pointers where I can find special cookbooks for that sort of food- I am looking for something I can bake and then store in a tin and take some bars with me instead of breakfast or for snacks.
Ideas? Thanks, Nad

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's not baking your own, but have you tried MaryJane's Task Bars?! Oh my gosh! They are SOOOOO good! I really love the Cherry and Mango, and the Jam and Peanut butter one is really good! They are the perfect size for a breakfast on the go or a snack.

http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/sc.2/category.44/.f

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jul 16 2008 08:15:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

jodyleek
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jody
Maple Plain MN
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  08:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Here is a great recipe from 101cookbooks.com:

Big Sur Power Bar Recipe
If you can't find the crisp brown rice cereal, no worries - just use regular rice cereal for ex: Rice Crispies - just stay clear of "puffed" rice cereal, it will throw the recipe off. Feel free to substitute other types of nuts, seeds, or whatever little goodies you can dream up.
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or regular butter)
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup (unsweetened) shredded coconut
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups unsweetened crisp brown rice cereal
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
2 tablespoons ground espresso beans
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking pan with the coconut oil. If you like thick power bars, opt for an 8 by 8-inch pan; for thinner bars, use a 9 by 13-inch pan.
On a rimmed baking sheet toast the pecans, almonds, and coconut for about 7 minutes, or until the coconut is deeply golden. Toss once or twice along the way. Mix the oats, toasted nuts, coconut, and the cereal, together in a large bowl and set aside.
Combine the rice syrup, sugar, salt, espresso, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly as it comes to a boil and thickens just a bit, about 4 minutes. Pour the syrup over the oat mixture and stir until it is evenly incorporated.
Spread into the prepared pan and cool to room temperature before cutting into whatever size bars you desire.
Makes 16 to 24 bars.

Jody

Monroe's Mom

Farmgirl Sister #233
Go to Top of Page

jodyleek
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jody
Maple Plain MN
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Here's another from the same site:

Peanut Salvage Bars
Jeff Cox says: They're called "salvage" because they'll save you when you need a burst of energy and nutrition. Heidi notes: These taste delicious, but they came out pretty dry. Sweet, peanuty goodness with a nice puffed rice crunch. Getting them to stay in a bar shape was a bit of a challenge. I did a second batch and increased the ratio of sweet peanut-butter "glue" to dry ingredients by quite a bit which helped - put them in the refrigerator and really let them set. Let me know how you fare, my adapted version below.
1/4 cup raw or toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shelled peanuts
salt
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups 1-minute rolled oats
2 cups puffed rice cereal (hs note: I used puffed brown rice cereal)
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
If using raw wheat germ, spread it on a baking sheet and toast for a few minutes until fragrant.
Spread the sunflower seeds and the peanuts in an even later on separate baking sheets and toast in the oven - the sunflower seeds will take about 6 minutes and the peanuts will take 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and let cool; salt the peanuts lightly.
Mix the wheat germ, sunflower seeds, peanuts, raisins, oats, and puffed rice in a large bowl. In a separate bowl that fits your microwave, mix the peanut butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup; microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and stir until well blended. Pour over the dry ingredients and fold in until everything is evenly coated.
Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan and transfer the mixture from the bowl. Cover the surface with waxed paper and press it down firmly. Refrigerate until completely cool. Cut into eight 2x4-inch bars.

Monroe's Mom

Farmgirl Sister #233
Go to Top of Page

jodyleek
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jody
Maple Plain MN
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Here is a recipe for granola - not a breakfast bar but you can munch on it like a granola bar as it makes crispy clusters. This is so good and the aroma that wafts through your house as you are baking it is divine! I've have made this numerous times:

Seven-Year Granola

Okay, so what exactly makes this granola different? I'm no kitchen scientist, but I can point out the things that seem to have the biggest impact. One thing is the addition of oat flour, which helps the grains and nuts stick together into those much-coveted clusters. Another is the use of sugar; as much I like liquid sweeteners like honey and maple syrup, they seem to produce a tougher, chewier granola. Finally, the right kind of oats are essential. For years I only baked with regular rolled ('old fashioned') oats because that's what recipes called for, but as soon as I switched to the smaller, thinner 'quick oats', the changes were remarkable - clusters formed, everything baked faster, and the texture became exquisitely light and crunchy. If you can't find quick oats where you live - and I have lived in a few places where oats come in one variety only - here's what I would do: pulse rolled oats in a food processor a few times to break them down to about half their original size. It won't be exactly the same but it will come close.
Yield: about 8 cups

1 lb. (450g) quick oats*
3 cups (750ml/about 300g) coarsely chopped raw nuts and/or seeds (I usually use a mixture of almonds, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds, but use whatever tickles your fancy)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1 cup, packed (200g) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (115g/1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup (80ml) water
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
dried fruit, at your discretion

*if you're not familiar with the difference between quick and regular (also called 'old fashioned') rolled oats, take a look at the pictures here

Preheat the oven to 300F/150C. In a food processor, coffee grinder or blender, grind half the oats to a fine powder. In a large bowl, combine the whole oats, ground oats, nuts and seeds. In a microwave-safe bowl (or in a saucepan over medium heat), combine the brown sugar, butter and water and heat just until the butter has melted and the mixture is bubbly. Stir the mixture together until smooth, then stir in the salt and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the oats and nuts, stirring well to coat (I usually do this with my hands). Let stand for about ten minutes.

Spread the mixture out on a large baking sheet, separating it into irregular clumps with your fingers, and allowing space between the clumps for the hot air to circulate. Slide into the middle of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and stir, gently breaking up the mixture into small-to-medium sized clumps. Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes or so before stirring again. Repeat the bake-and-stir until the mixture is a uniform golden brown and completely dry; this usually takes 1-1 1/2 hours. Cool completely, then stir in any dried dried fruit you want to use.

Store in a covered container at room temperature. Serve with milk or plain yogurt and fresh fruit as desired.

Monroe's Mom

Farmgirl Sister #233
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  09:52:19 AM  Show Profile
In the latest issue of MaryJane's farm there is a recipe called Lunch Bars..granola bars wthat sound fabulous. I plan to get the things I need (didn't have dried fruit on hand) today and make them...I will let you know how they turn out. I love to make my own granola bars.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Alee, I'd love to try these but shipping all the way to Germany... that is going to cost a bit- though I plan to place an ordr for a few things once the hot season is over, I would love some of the chocolate too! :) And no ice gel pouch can last all the way here- that would have to be an iceberg! :) LOL But they look SO good!

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

It's not baking your own, but have you tried MaryJane's Task Bars?! Oh my gosh! They are SOOOOO good! I really love the Cherry and Mango, and the Jam and Peanut butter one is really good! They are the perfect size for a breakfast on the go or a snack.

http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/sc.2/category.44/.f

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Jody, thank you SO much!!!!!! These all sound great and I have printed them all three and will be testing these over the weekend- I am so excited already. :) THank you! And Jenny, do let me know! I only just sent for a subscription but might see into getting back issues....... :) Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  1:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nadine-

They are so worth it! And the Chocolate is divine! Oh my gosh my mouth is watering just thinking about the chocolate!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ideas for breakfast bars/ snack bars needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page