True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  4:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Everyone -

What keeps me at MaryJanes how can I count the ways! The sisterhood, great ideas by caring individuals etc.

Also this helps in keeping traditions alive! Hanging freshly cleaned laundry on the clothesline and on wooden drying racks; I now do as my mother did when I was young!

Aprons! Always loved them, did not know that so many others adore them as I do. My mother; is disabled (stroke), and no longer uses aprons so now I have hers and proudly wear them always

Love to all -

Sue Feely Sister #349
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Hello everyone, I just registered and wanted to share something with you. Growing up my family moved quite a bit with my Dad working for the Railroad in Kansas. My very fondest memories though are of the farm we lived on for a couple of years. I can still close my eyes and almost go back to the peaceful walk in the pasture, going down by the creek and looking for crawdeads. That ever so sweet smell of hay being harvested and the adventure of exploring the surrounding acres. I was very young then and leaving was like being seperated from that one person who completes you, it was heart wrenching and somehow I never really got past it. I drempt for years about being back there. Years have passed since and I have raised a family of my own and am now an "empty nester" but believe me they do come back. LOL I picked up my first issue of MaryJane's Farm from Walmart of all places 2 years ago. I don't know if it was just me but I suddenly could feel that peace or at least a semblance of it, I had to have more. I have purchase a few of her books and subscribed to the magazine. I never tire reading them, I find something new each time and I have realized that the Farmgirl in me has been there all along, she never really left that farm, she was just biding her time till she could venture out again. I live in town but am doing those small things that make me feel like I live on a farm and someday I just might! Thanks for listening. Lori

Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  3:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Lori - my fondest memories of my grandparents farm are also small in time span but large in my heart. I loved those weeks in the summer when I was at the farm, and in proportion to my years of living, they were small in time but huge in impact.

I will never forget the quiet of the land, the clanking of milk pans in the dark of morning, and the breezy, mild space around me all day. I remember the smell of the barn, the fun of a big old pick-up......I could go on and on. So, I KNOW what you mean and I am so in agreement!!!!!! Being a farmgirl is definitely a condition of the heart!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  3:54:31 PM  Show Profile
Hear hear! I agree with Shirley Jean too..... Welcome to the forum Lori. I hope to see you here posting.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile
I have wanted to say something about this forum since I joined it. And here is a place to do just that now!

The main reason I love it here is all you really nice sweet ladies. Everyone is so different yet so alike, too. I find I have so much in common with just about everyone, except all you sewers! I hate to sew but really want to learn, really learn. I do crochet and have knitted, too.

Anyway, there is a huge reason I love this place. My familyhas had a family letter since 1920 something. It is kind of taking a break right now since all the original 5 siblings are gone now, my uncle being the last to go just last month. So now all the decendants of the original 5 are talking about starting it back up. My brother said there would be 18 of us now.

So this is so much like the feeling I got when I'd go out to the mail box and there was the family letter! I love to log on and read about everyone's lives. Just like family to me.

I must have gotten my farming sense from both sets of grandparents. They all farmed and had milk cows and goats and pigs and chickens, too. I guess that's why I love to do what I do. It's so rewarding to me.

Thank you all for letting me be a part of this wonderful place. And for being so nice to me. I am so far away from all my family so this is nice.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  09:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Kris,
I too am very far away and unfortunately am estranged from my family for various reasons. Some by choice, others lets just say that for my mental well being and that of my family it's a choice I had to make.
As a child, I loved running around on the farm and helping to feed the cattle, chickens and pigs. It just didn't seem like work to me at the time. I was in the 6th grade and that sense of doing something with my hands and loving the animals was with me even then. A dear friend of my mothers told mom that I was a busy child and needed to do something more with my hands and that's when I began learning to crochet. I am a lefty so that was a bit of a challenge! LOL I to knit and can sew as well but not really good at it. I want to make some aprons for my daughters though so I guess I need to brush up on my skills!
I love your idea about the letter and although we have a RoundRobin through my husbands family, I am thinking that it's something I would love to introduce to my daughters as a way of keeping in touch and keeping the "letter" alive.
I hope you have a great day! Lori Jarrett

Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Soozy-B
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Susan
Glendale WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  10:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Soozy-B a Yahoo! Message
What keeps me here with MaryJane? It anchors me to the simple childhood memories of homecooked food, a garden that Dad kept, stories he told about growing up on a farm in Europe, Mom's awesome baking, watching Mom sprinkle & iron our clothes, handknit sweaters, playing in the snow, spending the entire summer outside from sun-up to way past the time the street lights came on. Even though we lived in the city, it was far enough at the edge of the city that there were enough "wild" spaces for us to play in. I cherish those memories & MJ helps to remind us that we can still live simply, even in a busy world. Here in the cyber world, I've found the community of country-hearts that I love!

Sue

http://creamcitychickadee.blogspot.com

City girl with a farmgirl heart!
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  09:19:23 AM  Show Profile
I love the feeling of being able to talk about all the things that interest me from cooking, livestock, crafting, home-business and family and not feel "odd" because most everyone else here is interested in the same things!
I haven't much time to be on here right now, with getting my website and stock ready for Christmas, and my mother-in-law being ill and supporting my husband thru it, but I really do enjoy the bits of time I get now and then lately- always inspring and comforting!

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I cannot add anything else, everyone else has added...all of the above is what keeps me at Mary Janes...yyyiiipppeeeeee!

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  11:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Sue,
You have any relatives living in upstate NY? I know a R. Feely and just wondered. Thanks, Lori
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Feely

Everyone -

What keeps me at MaryJanes how can I count the ways! The sisterhood, great ideas by caring individuals etc.

Also this helps in keeping traditions alive! Hanging freshly cleaned laundry on the clothesline and on wooden drying racks; I now do as my mother did when I was young!

Aprons! Always loved them, did not know that so many others adore them as I do. My mother; is disabled (stroke), and no longer uses aprons so now I have hers and proudly wear them always

Love to all -

Sue Feely Sister #349

Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Notice the common threads that keep us here?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  7:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I was reading through this again and you are right Teresa Sue, each comment and story could be my own.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Jan 29 2009 7:17:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile
This is one of the few places I feel "at home" in my skin, and not weird. Who else but another farmgirl could relate to a discussion on the merits of fermented veggies, cultured milk, goats kids, and give advice on fixing gates or fences, driving in the snow, camping with horses...you get my drift *U* It's boring to talk about shopping and which place does hair and nails in town...dontcha think?!

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  1:53:00 PM  Show Profile
I feel at home when I am either blogging or reading an article from MaryJanes magazine! I can "relate" no pun intended! It is one of the few magazines that I really enjoy. It touches all the senses, gives me ideas, makes me think...it brings me down to earth. I think that especially today in our times we need to feel grounded. I am so glad that I bought that first magazine!

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What keeps you at MaryJanes? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page