Page: of 3

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  10:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I was asked this, this last week. And I almost surprised myself with the answer as I heard myself say, ""it is the only place that I feel allows for the whole of me". No one expects me to be an expert in anything, allows for the constant desire to learn something new, and encourages personal growth without ANY judgment or jealousy.

I have certainly put down my stakes and plan on staying. I cannot image never having something else I will want to learn, or better people to learn from.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:01:55 AM  Show Profile
I would have to second you one that, Rene, I do feel ok in my own skin here, everyone is very considerate with each other and very generous with information of all sorts. It feels like some sort of miracle to me to have discovered MaryJane's at this point in my life. I had been feeling very isolated and seldom talked to anyone with the same interests as me. It is amazing.....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Awe, Karin.. very well stated! I have had "farmgirls" come out of the wood work it seems here in Washington State - and have made some new friends, that I may never have met if it werent for that silly "farmgirl bumper sticker", and a blog.. How fun is that?

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  12:42:23 PM  Show Profile
I have been here for over four years now! It is a part of my day, and a part of me, and I can't explain it! There is always something new to read about, to learn, to pray for, and to share. I think the farm works very hard to keep it a safe place, and they certainly succeed. Each time I go on vacation, I come back and think about not spending that time on the computer anymore. I think I should use the time to be more simple and work at a project at home. But the first thing I do when I get unpacked is log on!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Dear Ones, I am an only child (albeit 49 years old) and childless. Now, I do have family, a hubby and friends, lots of them (and of course, I have my Lord and Saviour), but still, the loneliness I feel at times can be pervasive and overwhelming. This forum has afforded me round-the-clock friendships that has really ministered to my soul. I consider it, and you all, an answer to my prayers. With gratitude, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Chessie - your blog is spectacular! Are your aprons still for sale?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  3:03:20 PM  Show Profile
I have been here more than 4 years too and can't going away. This place is such a refuge and such a support. I learn new things, meet new friends and make wonderful discoveries every day.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  8:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jenny,
ahahhahahaha... Just notice your "tag".... We MUST be sisters :)

Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  8:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, You are sweet! Thanks. I will try and email you a picture of the one remaining apron. With Love, Karen
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

Chessie - your blog is spectacular! Are your aprons still for sale?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile
I had to check the date to see how long I've been here - 3 years! Why do I stay? It's one of the places where I can come to be myself, connect with other women who have the same interests, and learn new things. When I found this place I found myself too.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Me too...ditto everything you all have said! There is such kindness,warmth and friendship here! It is part of my day too- to see whats happening with all my farmgirls! Many,many thanks to Maryjane and everyone at the farm for keeping it going.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  09:27:49 AM  Show Profile
i'm on several 'boards' where i feel very much at home .. and i am sure there are lots more out there wigth interests like mine where i would love the 'friendship' ... there are just not enough hours in each day! i love all things PRIMITIVE .. lifestyle, decorating,crafts, etc. .. i also love the 'creativity' of women .. in writing and creating even if their creations are not necessarily 'primitive' .. i recently found somerset's magazine on 'blogging' .. it is WONDERFUL .. and as soon as i find some more minutes in my day .. i'll visit lots of those too!

i stay here because of the 'gurlfrenz' i've made in the last few years .. and those i will continue to make.

xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I've only been here a week....and already feel a kinship to all you "sisters". I love the warmth of each of the utterances that have been made toward my becoming a "farmgirl", and the obvious camaraderie that is present in each and every blurb. A very wise woman once said...
"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echos are truly endless." I feel that here. That very wise woman, by the way, was Mother Teresa.
Thank you for all of your kindness....and I look forward to many, many hours and days of learning, laughter and sisterhood.

Peace, Kate

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  7:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I "lurked" and just read the posts for a long time.I'm a Scorpio and I don't trust easily.But, I just kept reading these wonderful, supportive,loving, funny, intelligent, inventive women's posts. I started to know them even though they didn't know me yet. I felt so connected to them. I felt connected to MaryJane after I read her beautiful book. I come here everyday and I have said before I feel so relaxed and happy here. I can't wait to see what everyone has to say. I will stay because I love the connection we all have to each other and the fact that we really do care about each other.

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  9:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Very Well said Mary Jane.

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  12:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I am new to being a farmgirl but I know I am planning on staying her for as long as MaryJane and the rest of you will let me. This is one of the very few places that I feel at ease about the choices and changes I have been making in my life and my families. I love the sharing and learning that takes place here. It is so rarely that I have experienced women who are so gracious, kind and sharing to one another.

Being a "farmgirl" really feeds my spirit and soul.

Christina
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  3:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Christina,
We are glad that you are here.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I think I second (third, fourth, fifth...) all of you about the kindred spirits I've met here. As a young girl, watching Anne of Green Gables, I always wanted to find a "kindred spirit" in a girlfriend like Anne had....and have rarely found it, with the exception of my dear friend, Jess, in NYC and my friends from this forum, some I have seen, and most I have not.

I stay because...what other place holds my interest? I have met, shared joy and sadness, cheered on and been supported by the women on this forum like no other place in my life. What a wondrous place for us to gather...Mary Jane (and crew) have provided us with a home like no other. To learn from one another, to celebrate and shelter one another, and our spirit grows with each and every day.

Her book and ideas brought me here...it's the community and caring place she offers that keeps me.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  4:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jonni,
VERY well stated!

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  7:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i too just keep coming back because of the women here.
i have learned alot and been encouraged so much.
i really live a fairly reclusive life and often days, and weeks can go by without my leaving the farm, really for various reasons.
aside from the company of my dh, children and grandchildren this is the spot where i seem to get my social fix.
i come here because of ....nancy jo, aunt jenny, jonni, nance in france, zan , frannie from kentucky, alle and nora, miss wilma,,,etc. etc, etc etc ......
and all the farmgirls unmet and the adventures and support and the learning that has yet to be done.

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  12:35:57 AM  Show Profile
I love it here for so many reason, but unconditional acceptance is the at the top of the list. Such a varied group of farmgirls from different backgrounds who just support and encourage each other. Does it get better than that?

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:45:11 AM  Show Profile
I echo a lot of the reasons you girls have mentioned. The answer that came to my mind first though, was that here I'm not afraid to ask any question or for help on something. Everyone is so helpful and nice about it.

Sometimes it feels that this farmgirl thing is a brave new world (though we know we're all just old-fashioned chicks), and on MJF no one will get more excited or be more helpful if you ask a chicken question, or a seedling question, or a canning question, or a ... It's just plain awesome :)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile
I too feel this is a safe haven for me to be myself. Here I can read or chat with women who love to bake, garden, craft, decorate, instruct & learn with. There isn't anyone around me who I can do that with in person, except for my "Windy Pines" farmgirl cousin Michele. Unfortunately the two of us see each other about once a year at the most.

Like everyone else, I plan to stay on-line with MJF until I can no longer type!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  7:23:17 PM  Show Profile
1) because the topics are limitless & fascinating to me (as is homemaking in general)
2) because the spirit here is pure farm girl fun and the mentality is playful, informative & creative
3) because you're supportive but not all coming from the same place, you get lots of different viewpoints which is a great resource
4) because I met a friend for life on here!!! Yay!
5) because when I lost my dad, y'all were there for me!
6) because you are just like having neighbors to chat with across the fence in real life
and 7) to borrow what Fran from Bonham, TX said, "and all the farmgirls unmet and the adventures and support and the learning that has yet to be done." Exactly!!!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9354 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9354 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  03:55:01 AM  Show Profile
What a great question. I have been here about a year and a half now. I have learned a lot, shared a lot and hopefully have been a friend to others. There are many kindred spirits here and it is comforting to know that many of the arts of days gone by are still alive and well. I come back for all the friends I've met...NancyJo, Frannie, Debi, Jenny and so many more of you. I feel comfortable enough here to ask just about anything and know that someone will answer.
When I log on I love seeing all the familiar screen names and just feel "at home" here. I am grateful to MaryJane and all who had a hand in making this place for us to come and share and make friends.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  8:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Denise
I so agree.. I miss everyone when I am not checking in!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What keeps you at MaryJanes? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page