Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  09:48:40 AM  Show Profile
My sister sent this news story to me about Beatrix Potter's farm. It made me sad. Since I don't know all the in's and out's of the reason behind spliting up her land, I can not judge their intent. However, we just seem to be losing more farm land all the time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/4310994.stm Simply, Julia

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Oct 06 2005 09:49:20 AM

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  12:30:32 PM  Show Profile
If you go to the National Trust website:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/webpack/bin/webpack.exe/livebase?object=LiveBase1&itemurn=1777&mode=wbFullItem
it tells a different story! The land will be rented out to the 3 or 4 neighbouring farms - who will just get bigger from their share of it - but I still don't understand why the National Trust can't rent it out as it is!
Also, to make it clear, the farmhouse in this article is not Hill Top (Beatrix Potter's home), which is now a museum, as Beatrix bequeathed in her will that it would remain in it's original state and no one was to live there again, so millions of people visit it each year and the National Trust gets plenty of money from that! Beatrix actually bought a lot of farms in that area, from the money she made writing books.
Quite inspiring.
In fact if I ever make money from writing stories that's what I'm going to do!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  4:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Deb for the info, I really appreciate it. Julia

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Beatrix Potter's Farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page