Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 You makin your own peanut butter yet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic You makin your own peanut butter yet? Next Topic  

DeerDominique
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Dominique
Ferndale CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  1:45:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies
Now this is a topic that made me feel kinda silly. We make our own yogurt, soy and nut milks, breads, and we cook nearly everything from scratch, and here I was spending a small fortune on organic peanut butter.
A friend told me, 'just make yer own' WHAT!!
So...if I'm not the only one that didn't think of this and you are interested, read on ladies.
You need a Food Processor and some peanuts.
Put the peanuts in the processor and run it until there is a big ole glob of peanut butter spinning around in there. It's a small miracle if you ask me.
Plus, no packaging, cheaper (of course) and it's fresh. I also wanted to mention that peanuts are the most pesticide polluted crop grown, so buy organic peanuts in the bulk section of your Co-op or where-ever if you can.

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  3:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dominique...I've never made my own peanut butter...sounds good, but I bet my dh wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! He only likes Jiff--won't eat any other brand.

Something really gross...I remember thinking (when I was REALLY little) that if you chew peanuts up in your mouth enough, you get peanut butter...I thought that there was similar process for the commercial market :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  5:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Good to know about the pesticide issues. I wouldn't have thought so. Thanks for the tip.

Kimberly Ann
Why Reinvent the broom?
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  7:29:13 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had a food processor now. I do have a hand cranked one..I wonder if that would work? I bet it would..just slower, right?? I am going to have to get some peanuts when we go up north on Monday..we go through alot of peanut butter here..and the kids arn't picky about brands..they just like it smooth not chunky.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  7:56:16 PM  Show Profile
I did this in small quantities once, when I wanted to make peanut butter cookies, and did not have enough commercial peanut butter on hand for the recipe. Since then, I have often thought that I should make my own; thanks for the reminder!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I actually have been doing this for several years (ever since I bought that mini food processor for baby food when my son was little) Its amazing how much more aware you become of the freshness of it and how unwilling you are to eat PB out of a plastic jar again. :)

I am a big fan of almond butter and cashew butter too, which are both 6 or 7 dollars a jar and in a two person household we just dont go through it that fast.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  03:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Our local health food store does it for us. He charges 1.99 for 16 oz. plus, we get a 10% discount for being frequent shoppers.

I have also thought about nut butter processing. We have a Quisinart type thingy with really sharp blades.

I'll have to try it w/ almonds.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  03:34:53 AM  Show Profile
Any hey, if you can make the same thing on your own, so much the better!!

The whole homemade yogurt thing is foreign to me. We love it and so does the dog. With a little eduaction I could be sold on it too.

Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  09:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
how long does it keep??

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

DeerDominique
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Dominique
Ferndale CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  09:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Yay for Peanut Butter!
Annab - Our Co-op has a grinder and they still charge 3.95lb for it. Glad you can get it cheaper. On the Almond butter topic, I just realized that raw almonds are WAY cheaper than roasted 5.79lb vs. 14.99. So now, I have yet to experiment with making my own almond butter, roasting first. I'll let ya know how it goes. I understand that with some of the lower oil nuts adding a little oil helps it come together. I learned all about yogurt making here http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000176.html
It's an amazing food blog.
Sarahpauline - Aren't you smart! We eat an absurd amount of peanut butter for a family of three (my husband has a cookie problem of the pb variety) Maybe you have some input for us on your adventures in almond butter production?
Aunt Jenny - Let us know how the hand crank works out? I'm on the look-out for one myself for other food projects. We found our processor in the thrift store for 8.00! Otherwise, we wouldn't have one.
I'll be makin some peanut butter cups for Husband for Father's day, if they come out well, I'll share the process if anyone is interested.
Thanks for the thread love ladies!
Go to Top of Page

Jody Harmon
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Jody
Maple Plain MN
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  10:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Dominique,

I haven't tried to make my own PB but will try now. I do make my own yogurt and it's so easy...for all of you who are leary, it's really simple and it allows you to make nice, thick organic
yogurt. I like to strain mine for a Greek style yogurt...yum!

I also love 101cookbooks.com! The pictures alone are worth the visit to the site.

Monroe's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile
yum..homemade yogurt is so good...I love making it when Mona, my cow is not dry (like now)
dominique...homemade peanut butter cups...yum!!! Let us know how it works out!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  1:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I just logged on to www.101cookbooks.com and what a wonderful site! Especially since I am trying to eat healthier or at least fresher and more organic.....right away I saw how you replace mayo with yogurt....who knew!?!? Awesome....thanks you girls! You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge!
I have always eaten pretty healthy but they didn't have yogurt and such in my day although I eat it every morning now but never thought of cooking with it! And the photos made my mouth water!
thanks again and I'll search for the homemade yogurt and peanut butter.
Sam in AR
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  3:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Almond butter is simple! Just grind raw almonds in the food processor and if they get a little too thick add a bit of canola or other oil. (you can use roasted almonds but they arent as healthy.) I add a sprinking of salt and eat it on toast or use it in recipes like stir fries. :)

Go to Top of Page

DeerDominique
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Dominique
Ferndale CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  10:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Miz Sarah - thanks for the almond butter info, I was kinda figuring it would go the same way as the peanuts, I'm wondering about skins though. I wonder if I should blanch them quick like to remove skins, what do you think?

Sandra - I wanted to mention vegenaise http://www.followyourheart.com/vegenaise.html if you weren't aware of it. You will swear it is mayo, I promise. Plus you don't have to worry about killing people with potato salad that has been out of the fridge for too long ;)
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  6:32:53 PM  Show Profile
My dh eats peanut butter everyday and not just once, but several times a day! How does the cost compare with purchasing organic peanut butter vs. making your own organic pb?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  6:46:50 PM  Show Profile
wow. i hope you blog on those kinds of things sometime. love to learn more!

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile
I dont mind the skins, they get ground up into the paste, I have never tried removing them, Im not sure if it would be difficult or not. You will have to share your experience with us! I also wanted to mention that this is where I hide my flax oil. It doesnt change the texture or flavor and it is easy to use without damaging the oil with heat. So if you are trying to add flax oil to your diet like I am, this works well!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

DeerDominique
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Dominique
Ferndale CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Mikesgirl - I pay about 4.75 for Organic Maranantha PB on sale (reg price about 5.89) I pay 3.35lb for organic peanuts. I figure I am saving from 1.40-3.64) An lb of homemade peanut butter yields 2cups/16 ounces/1 pound which is a standard size jar of pb. *Double check me on that cup/oz/lb conversion someone ;)

nashbabe - Who me?

Sarahpauline - You are one clever cookie! My 22 mo daughter has bouts of eczema and extra Omegas are a sure cure. I tried fish oil (lemon flavored in the oatmeal, and ground flax, she looked at me like I was some kind of idiot). I'm totally gonna do this, thanks so much. So, next up is the almond butter with skins!

I'm so glad you ladies are getting some use out of this thread, I know I am.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic You makin your own peanut butter yet? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page