Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  02:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering: Does anyone at MJF normally contact the chapters on an annual basis, to see if they are still up and running? I notice some of the chapters state they aren't accepting new members, so some updating is obviously done, but what about the chapters that inevitably start and then kind of just fade away?

I have e-mailed two chapters near me over a week ago with no response. (And it's not like I sent a picture along so they would see that second nose on my face or anything. . . )

Anyway, this non-response kind of puts me in a sort of limbo land. . . It's been suggested to start my own chapter, but if there's already one or two within 15 miles, that would be rather redundant. But if they are no more, I'd be willing to start a new chapter.

I know there's no dues or costs to start a chapter (right?). But I'm wondering if perhaps there shouldn't be some kind of nominal, yearly renewal "fee" for chapters?? This fee could be collected each January and help defray the costs of the starter kits sent out (and maybe sending in the yearly fee would entitle the club to more supplies?). That way, the chapters that aren't active or around anymore could be deleted from the website and it could be kept current.

Just a thought.

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Renee!

You have posed some great questions and I have forwarded them on to the powers that be. Hang in there and we will get an answer for you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

The Quilting Diva
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Cynthia
Cumming GA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  09:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see The Quilting Diva's MSN Messenger address
Yes, this is a good subject. I haven't gotten a response either from my "local" chapter, but I've been very busy, too with kids just getting out of school and a hectic work schedule!

Cynthia

So many quilts, too little time
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Yes, good thoughts, for sure. But the realities of managing and tracking down the current status of every farmgirl who at some point has started or hoped to start a chapter would definitely be a full-time job. That's because e-mails change, phone numbers and addresses change, etc. I should know because I've tried! We decided it is more important for me to keep up with all the new requirements surrounding our SISTERHOOD. And the Henhouses. And the merit badges. And.....on and on! But this we do know, those who've signed up to start a chapter are at least driving around in a vehicle with a farmgirl bumper sticker on it! (Or will be, by the time I get all the packets mailed out:)

If you write to a chapter asking to join and you don't hear from them, please do consider starting your own. Many times, they'll respond. If they don't, it's time to throw your own party!!!

Thanks for sharing some good thoughts!

~Sunny
Farmgirl Sister #4

You never know what each day will bring, so laugh, love, sing.
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  9:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Sunny said:

> . . . the realities of managing and tracking down the current status of every farmgirl who at some point has started or hoped to start a chapter would definitely be a full-time job. . . <

Hi Sunny,
First of all, thanks so much for getting back to me / us about this matter so quickly!

I can absolutely appreciate and understand what you said about time constraints. : ) When you are already busy, the last thing you want to hear or read is someone suggesting something ELSE for you to do!

However, in this case, I don't think my suggestion of an annual renewal fee would require you needing to track people or chapters down. It WOULD involve sending out reminder cards or renewal cards once a year and that could be done in January for all chapters, regardless of when they came into being, with a reply required by March lst (for example). Then, those renewals you receive back would be considered active and kept on the website. Those that didn't renew by March lst of each year would be considered inactive or disbanded and removed from the website.

In my mind, it's a service for the chapters to be listed on MJF's website, especially those that are looking for members. I would hope paying a small, yearly fee (I'm thinking $10 or so??) wouldn't be seen as a bad thing or something that would discourage folks. On the plus side, a renewal system would let you know how many ACTUAL active chapters there are, and it would help with the costs of the starter kits going out and website costs too.

Well, it was just a thought. Thanks,
Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  3:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Renee,
I dont know how big your community is... But, it would seem there is plenty of room for more "farm girl" chapters and you sound like you have the organizatinal skills and farmgirl desire to be a great candidate for starting one. Often times people "want" to start one, and then life takes over and they never really get it off the ground.. the gals in your area that have signed up to be leaders may need some help and encouragment to make it a reality...Or if your town or valley has "area's" like North, South.. etc.. maybe you could start one using the area in the title, then making yourself available to "pool your resources"...when the other groups get going. We have started "prosserfarmchicks" but also have a very talented group down the road both ways... and we are all working together to just serve gals in the Valley....................I wouldnt spin your wheels to long waiting to hear back.... When they are ready, they are ready.. in the mean time I say... Jump on in.... "the water is great".....

If you want someone to bounce off ideas on how to get your chapter going... email me.. I would love to share ideas! We recently had a "farmgirl round up" at the local farmers market that was a great success. Best of Luck to you!

The other rene'

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  11:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Kate here, I had hoped/tried to open a chapter here in my area. Several problems happened at once, my dial up was giving me a world of trouble and I did not get any takers or farmgirls interested in my area. It seemed at the time I was about the only one in the entire west end of michigan's upper pen. visiting MJFGC. I would be willing to give it a try again if I can find my info...

http://homemakerkate2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  09:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Jeez Renee, maybe you should have sent in a picture of you with two noses....I appreciate your humor.
Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  11:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kate, I hope you do try it again! Let me know if there is anything I can help with.. it is so fun to see all the farmgirls and build that kinship!

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile
I will I promise.

http://homemakerkate2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So I was just wondering how everyone was doing? and if you are finding chapters or deciding to start one

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  06:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Ya just gotta grab your closest friends and drag them into it!!!

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  1:59:54 PM  Show Profile
I found a chapter in my area but the leader informed me that they are no longer active. It was kinda funny because as it turns out one of my daughters girls scouting friends mom was involved with it. She said the ladies chose to quit because the organizer wanted to do some community service activities.

Long story short though... I decided to start my own chapter. The City Chicks. I have received my packet but I haven't any members just yet. It is on the top of my list to go and recruit some though!! Maybe some of my friends that laugh at me will decide they might like the sisterhood.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  10:17:15 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by prosserfarmgirl

So I was just wondering how everyone was doing? and if you are finding chapters or deciding to start one

Hi Rene,
You know, it would seem we farmgirls are few and far between. The two chapters by me never responded and I haven't taken the plunge to start a chapter myself. I'm thinking on it, but . . .

I am getting the impression the best way to launch a successful and on-going MJF chapter is to have a group of like-minded friends who get together for activities already and just name yourselves. It doesn't appear to be very easy to root out kindred spirits and start a chapter completely from scratch.

One thing that I KNOW is true is women are so busy these days. My best friend is another MJF fan and she lives only 17 miles away. But, when I mentioned the idea of joining a local chapter together(when I thought they were active), she got very hesitant saying, "Well, it would depend on what kind of commitment would be involved" Huh?

I was kind of shocked by that response initially, but I've been thinking about it. And I think I get where she is coming from. Women today run their households, run their kids (to forty different activities all week), often run to work outside the home, run to check on or help elderly parents, run to volunteer at church or otherwise, and in general, just run. I think many women are at the point of being leary joining anything where there might be the possibility of spreading themselves any thinner than they already feel they are -- even for something fun and for themselves.

I work 36 hours a week, have two daughters 4 and 5, have a husband, and a small farm to keep track of. B.K. (Before kids), I used to volunteer for a therapeutic riding program both in classes and as the primary fund-raising person, was a committee co-chair for our state horse council, served as president of our local county riding club, and was on the board of directors for a national horse organization. (Gee, is there a theme there or what?!?) I don't do ANY of that anymore. I don't have time, or rather, I can't seem to FIND the time. I am just now getting back to riding my own horses after a two year hiatus while my kids were small. (I hired a babysitter this summer 2 days a week.)

As much as I am enthused and excited about the MJF "movement" and being involved on a grassroots level with a local chapters, I must admit, I am not sure I am up to starting a chapter myself right now. Because it's one more thing on my plate. And I'd want to do it right and make it a success -- or not do it at all.

So, there's where I'm simmering at the moment on the whole chapter "thing".

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

Farmgirl #211
No woman ever made history by behaving herself.
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Chapter status Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page