Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  5:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, Im a farmgirl all on my own here. Does anyone have any ideas for safe, affordable horse fencing that looks beautiful that I could put in myself? I tried to dig a post hole in my rocky soil today...it didnt go well.

Not all those who wander are lost...

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  11:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh I feel your pain with the rocky soil. I'm not sure what you have in mind, but anything that is beautiful is not going to be what I would consider affordable. You are either going to have to find a way to dig a post hole or get a post driver and use T posts and barbed wire. They are easier to use in the rocks than actually digging a hole.

Now that I think of it, I have seen what I think looks pretty nice but it's a lot of work. I saw a ranch once that made their posts from round "frames" of wire fencing filled with rocks. Then they stung barbed wire from post to post with a few t posts in between. It's not gorgeous, but it does have a rustic look and it saves on trying to dig through those rocks.

Good Old Fashioned Lye Soap
http://www.sugarwoodnaturals.com
10% Discount for Farmgirls - Voucher Code: FARMGIRL
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah,
What kind of area are you trying to fence -- paddock, pasture, roundpen, arena, permanent, temporary or moveable . . . ????

I'm not sure you would be able to do this yourself, but a very good permanent fence to use on larger areas is electrified, hi tensile fencing, using four or five strands for horses. It has the advantage of fewer fence posts spaced further apart. The guage of the wire is thicker (9 guage usually) than regular electric fence. Cost-wise it's not cheap, but it's not overly expensive either, especially given there is virtually no maintainence at all once installed correctly. We've had trees fall on ours and when we cut the tree up, the fence springs right back up, good as new. Deer do not take it down either. Ours has been standing for 17 years.

The down-side is you should not use it for smaller areas because if a horse tangles with it, it will not win. We use it for perimeter fencing in the pasture.

You know, it might be worthwhile in the long run to bite the bullet and hire someone to put your fence up. It sounds like you might need some heavy equipment (gas powered or PTO driven fence post driller for example) in your rocky soil.

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I forgot about the beautiful part:

Hi Tensile electric fencing isn't aesthetically pretty, but it can look neat and tidy and it will keep your horses IN.

We live in a residential area. It is very important to me to keep my horses contained and not A) standing in the road on a dark morning, and B) in my neighbors' gardens and manicured lawns. To have something functional and that serves that purpose well IS beautiful to me. : )

-- Renee M. in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't suggest using barbed wire if you can help it. I have worked at a vet clinic and have seen some pretty nasty injuries caused from encounters with barbed wire. One particularly horrific injury happened in a back pasture where the owner didn't know a few strands had snapped from rust damage. The horse had to be put down after being trapped for 2 days.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Alee

I wouldn't suggest using barbed wire if you can help it.

Thanks Alee for mentioning this -- I was thinking the same thing, although I know in some parts of the country, it's used all the time for horses. We once looked at a farm (to buy) and I was totally turned off because it was completely fenced and crossed fenced (40 acres) in barbed wire. I know fencing is changeable, but I kept thinking I'd miss some of it and that would be the piece I'd find wrapped around my horse's leg. However, the people who were selling the place had raised horses there for twenty years and claimed they'd never had an injury. I checked out the horses they had and none of them had scars, but. . . .

Anyway, I think barbed wire is best avoided if at all possible.
-- Renee M. up in the mitten

P.S. Hey Alee, are you all packed up yet?

Farmgirl #211
No woman ever made history by behaving herself.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  3:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Renee-

I am starting to think I am never going to be all packed up. Husband is leaving tomorrow and I am kind of happy (shh don't tell him!) as I think I will get more done!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  12:48:37 AM  Show Profile
Well, hereing lies my problem, it is already fenced in barbed wire and I am outside all the time checking everyone...it makes me so nervous, I hate that stuff. I have to do some cross fencing to divide some difficult personalities and I wanted to be able to set some posts on my own, particularly for my stallion. However, with the rocky soil. the crowbar isnt even completely doing the job... So Ive been replacing the barbed wire with barbless wire and have put in a row of hot wire around the top, but that doesnt solve the issue of the stallion, my round pen, or riding arena. I think you may be right Renee, I may have to save my pennies and have someone in to do that part. Grumble...

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Rainier01
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Leslie
Eatonville WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  06:49:39 AM  Show Profile
I use t posts and field fencing for my horses, and would consider putting a strand of electric horse tape (the thick white stuff) on the top to make the fence more visible to them and to keep them from leaning on the fence. Our place has barb wire here & there too, they ran cattle here and it is good for cattle. I think the stuff just has "disaster" written all over it so have been irradicating it as best I can as we go along. Your most affordable and effective fencing for horses is going to be electric with a solar charger if the pen/paddock/field is too far away from an electricity source.

"It's Good, Clean, Dirt!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  07:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree- Electric fencing is really nice.

Sarah- Is there anyway to lay a mulch down where you want your posts to go and really soak the ground? Maybe it would loosen up a bit for you? Do you have a post hole digger? Those help too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:30:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I put up 5-strand Hi-tensile fence. The top and 3rd runs are hot. We used a tractor with an auger for the corner posts (recycled telephone poles) and metal t-posts for the runs. It may not be Beautiful, but like Renee M from Michigan said, it does look neat and keeps the horses in. We also just put up fiber glass posts with 2 strands of hot wire to give the horses temporary access to another area. We can't "fence" that in just yet as we rent to a farmer and that is his access to the field. It's easy to put up and take down as needed. The horses don't go near it after they get "bit" a couple of times. They don't even go near it when it's off.

Good luck,

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Fencing for horses? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page