Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help with Redwork Next Topic  

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I'm trying my hand at my first redwork project and I have a dumb question - is there a desired length of stitch when doing the backstich? My handquilting experience may be getting in the way as my stitches are running about 1/8 inch.

Julia
BlueApple Farm

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Generally speaking, the smaller the better. 1/8" sounds perfect. The smaller the stitch, the easier it is to go around curves and it looks neater, too. If you put batting under it, it will give it a kind of raised, quilted look. Good luck! I love redwork and there are so many old fashioned looking patterns!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Thank you, Patricia! Now dumb question #2 - do you mean put batting underneath it after I do the stitching or like quilting, stitch with the batting?

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  1:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Please! There's no such thing as a stupid question. If you want a "quilted" kind of appearance, put the batting under the muslin or whatever fabric you are using before you do the work. Just pin it. If you don't want that, when you go to frame it, use the sticky board they sell at Michaels or Joanne's or your local quilt/fabaric store to "mount" it and just put it in the (glassless) frame. Or make a pillow or apron or whatever you want. I like the puffy quilted look. I just made one that says "All because two people fell in love" in script. Just that. And I framed it and put it beneath photos of my grandparents from Italy. I love it!

Please feel free to ask any questions. That's how we learn.

Hugs,
P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  1:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
That sounds just beautiful Patricia! Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help with Redwork Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page