Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Wanted.....A Good Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wanted.....A Good Whole Wheat Bread Recipe Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  12:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I love to make Bread!!! .... One of my favorites to make is Challah bread and I love to give them as gifts (especially round ones)..... but, I haven't found a good "Tried and True" Whole Wheat Bread. Does anyone have one that they really feel is a Good one? I Would really appreciate having the recipe if someone has a recipe and would like to share it!!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  10:42:41 AM  Show Profile
I asked the same question months ago and was told that King Arthur whole wheat flour and the recipe on the bag are the best.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  11:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny's was pretty darn good. She used to have it on her blog, but I'm not sure now. I copied mine out from her. If you emailed her, I know she'd be glad to share.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  12:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Thanks Mary,

I will look for Kind Arthur Whole Wheat flour. If they don't have it at the regular grocery store, I'll try Whole Foods.

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  12:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Jenny..... I'll go on over and check out Aunt Jenny's blog and see if the recipe is there. If not, I'll drop her a note.

Thanks .... I do appreciate the tip!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9417 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9417 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  4:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Are you mixing it by hand or in a mixer? I have a good recipe I will gladly share with you.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  4:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Hi Denise,

I would be glad to make it by hand or with a mixer whatever the recipe calls for!! Would love to have your recipe!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9417 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9417 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  8:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Audrey,
I have a Bosch mixer with the dough hooks but I'm sure you could use the same recipe with another that has dough hooks.
So here you go:
You put 2cups of water plus 1 1/2 cups of warm water in the bowl.
Add 1/3 cup of oil (I use canola)
1/3 cup of honey
1tbsp. of lecithin ( this is a dough enhancer)
Mix that a little and add 2 tbsp. yeast
To that add 4 cups of flour and mix till flour is moist.
Let sit until bubbly like pancake batter.
Add 1 tbsp of salt and turn on mixer.
Add 1 cup of flour at a time until dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl. Should be around 5 or 6 cups. Keep kneading for about 10-12 minutes.
Turn into oiled bowl, cover and let rise 30 minutes. punch down and turn onto an oiled or lightly floured surface and divide into four parts. I usually roll these or pat them out into rectangles and then roll the short side until I get to the end and tuck in the ends and pinch the seam together.
Places them in lightly oiled loaf pans and let rise covered with a clean cloth for 30 minutes.
Place in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
I cool them on a cooling rack on their sides so the tops don't fall. this makes four loaves.
I use the red wheat to make mine. I don't care for the nuttier taste of the Prairie Gold.
I get mine through a co-op that orders from Wheat Montana.
Hope you'll try this out and let me know how it turned out for you.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 04 2008 8:06:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Denise,

Thanks! I really do appreciate it!! I will probably try it over the weekend and let ya know how it turns out!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  9:29:31 PM  Show Profile
This is my regular "everyday bread recipe" that I use all the time..makes three loaves.

Honey Wheat Bread

2 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup butter (can use oil instead)
1/2 cup honey (can use mollasses or maple syrup instead)
3 Tbsp dry active yeast
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup gluten flour
Whole wheat flour
Bread flour

Okay..this is my own way of doing things...just so you know.... melt the butter and pour over the honey in a 2 cup measuring cup..and stir to blend..then pour into your mixing bowl (I usually get it started with my kitchen aid and the paddle attachment and then change to the dough hook towards the end) then pour the warm water over this and add the salt. Then when cooled to lukewarm..if the butter was too hot it needs to cool a couple minutes so I use that time to measure stuff out....add the yeast...let it proof just for a minute to make sure it is okay (the yeast I mean) and then add flour..a scoop at a time..don't forget the gluten flour..really helps with the rising..until it is a very thick batter...I turn the mixer on low for this. Then change to the dough hook and keep adding flour a scoop at a time until it pulls from the sides and is a nice thick mound of dough around the dough hook. If doing this up to this point by hand it will pull away from the sides and not be sticky anymore.
...then....flour your breadboard and knead by hand ...adding a little flour as needed until the dough is shiny and not sticky or dull looking any longer..about 10 min is usually right. You CAN do all the kneading with the dough hook..but I am just not good at that and it turns out better for me with a little hand kneading. Too easy to keep adding flour too much to the mixer..easier to feel when it is just right with your own hands. When it is just right, plop the dough into your biggest mixing bowl..all buttered up...turn it to grease the top too...and cover with a light tea towel. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk..usually a half hour to an hour depending on how warm a place you have. Then butter three loaf pans (the regular size ones) and divide your dough into three parts. knead each and form into oblong loaf shapes and put one in each pan..butter the top too. Cover these with a tea towel and let rise about 1/2 hour. I don't turn the oven on at all until NOW. Turn it to 350 and THEN put the loaves in (that way they rise that extra little bit in the warm oven as it heats up. THen bake for 1/2 hour to 45 min..until the loaves sound hollow when tapped..and look golden brown. They will start to pull away from the pans a little too. I cool them on a wire rack on their sides covered with that same tea towel. Makes 3 loaves.
* I wish I could give an exact amount of flour for you..but I honestly never measure..just keep adding until it looks and feels right. Maybe 6 cups total??? I usually do mostly freshly ground whole wheat flour and a couple cups of bread flour or unbleached white flour if I have it...sometimes all whole wheat. My kids love it however I do it. It is fun to use maple syrup instead of the honey sometimes..or mollasses..looks alot darker...its all good.
You CAN add a couple eggs beaten up first...when you add the first bit of flour..but I usually don't. I add a little cornmeal, oats or barley sometimes just for kicks....but usually this is just how I make our everyday bread.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  10:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Jenny,

Thank You!! You and Denise are going to have me quite busy trying both Wheat Breads!! I am anxious to try both recipes but I doubt I will get to both of them over the weekend. As soon as I make each one I will let you know how they turned out! I really do appreciate both of you sharing your recipes with me!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  09:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmmm.... I can already smell it baking! YUM! YUM! YUM! Thank you ladies! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  11:54:35 AM  Show Profile
I am baking bread today myself. I have the kids all over swimming at the pool so I have time to get the dough rising before I go get them and then it will be done in time for supper....and a snack this afternoon first....yum!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
It seems that "life" sometimes just gets in the way of some of the things we plan to get done!!!!!!.....I have the wonderful recipes for the Whole Wheat Bread that Jenny & Denise were so very sweet to write out for me and the suggestion that Mary gave me to check out ..... they are on my recipe holder on my kitchen counter but >>>>> haven't had a chance with being called in by two different Production company's to work ........ I will eventually try all the suggestions!!! I have wanted a good Whole Wheat Bread recipe for a long time and I am eager to try them (I know we will love all of them!!!)......but unfortunately won't be trying them as soon as I hoped!! Just wanted to tell this wonderful group that I really do appreciate how responsive everyone is here to each others needs (Big and Small)....... and wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten to get back with you, I just haven't had a chance to bake lately!!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  5:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Here is the link for a no-knead bread recipe. It works great and I use whole wheat flour.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-12-01/Easy-No-Knead-Dutch-Oven-Crusty-Bread.aspx

The recipe is on page two, but this is an interesting article. Since I live at elevation, nearly 6,000 feet, I increase the water, add a touch more yeast and don't uncover the bread at all. It came out crusty and wonderful.

I went for almost 2 cups of water, but had to add a touch more flour when I was handling it. I used whole wheat and it was soft inside!

Hope you enjoy it.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  08:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Laurie....Thanks!! This recipe looks like a wonderful one.....I love that the top will be crusty! I too live in a "Mile High" city so thanks for the tip on adding a little more water and yeast.

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wanted.....A Good Whole Wheat Bread Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page