True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  5:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I always struggle with getting a nice quick rise out of my breads. Especially in spring and fall when we love to have nice cooling breezes rushing through the house. If I haven't already been baking that day, my kitchen is often the coolest part of the house as it has more outside walls and the window stays cracked for fresh air.

Some people recommend turning your oven on to "warm" then putting in your dough. I find this is too hot and often kills the rise before it gets too far.

Today I discovered two methods that have worked great!

First Method only good for some stages:

I mixed my dough and put it in my kitchen aid mixer bowl for the rise. This bowl is about the right size and has steep sides which help me t see if the dough is rising properly. I then run a sink of about 100 degree water to the depth of halfway up the bowl's side. I used my rinse water from my morning dishes as no water gets inside the bowl. Then leave to rise. This helps create a warm environment to encourage the yeast to grow. My dough was nice and warm when I took it out to knead before the second rise.

Second Method:

After shaping the dough it will be hard for most recipes to use the first method to get a second rise. So for this second method get out your largest cast iron skillet. Heat very hot on your stove burner and then place inside your cold oven. Place one rack below the rack you will place your bread on, or even place on the floor of your oven. Cast iron holds heat so well that this will keep your oven warm (or at least warmer than the outside air) for the duration of your second rise. If you have a extra large oven, use two cast iron pans. You can also jump start the oven by turning it on to warm for 1-2 minutes while you knead and shape the dough. Just make sure you turn the heat off before you place the dough in the oven and vent some out as the air is ofen around 200 degrees and you are looking for an 85-95 degree environment.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  5:23:49 PM  Show Profile
I have used a combination of these two methods Alee - put hot water in my cast iron skillet and put it on the bottom rack of the oven (oven was turned off), and put my dough on the rack above. It rose nicely like that too. Great tips! How are the move preparations coming?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  5:33:16 PM  Show Profile
I make my bread by hand and have had amazing success by proofing it in a warm oven. I heat the oven up slightly and turn it off before I put the dough in. And then, and here's the important part, I forget about it! By the time I remember it again, it's the perfect size to be punched down, kneaded some more, divided, and then let to rise again. And I let it rise for a LONG time the second time before I finally bake it. I think it depends on the recipe. I use the recipe for Amish White Bread (which can be found on my website listed below) and it's WONDERFUL bread!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Edited by - RachelLeigh on Jun 02 2008 5:34:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I like that cast iron idea. Yeah, I turn it on warm, and then turn it off when I put it in. Honestly, what I usually do is put the biggest batch possible in the bread machine on the dough only setting, take it out and put it in loaf pans. Looks like I did it all by hand--ha.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  10:45:05 PM  Show Profile
What I do is turn on my oven..on it's lowest setting while I am mixing the dough up and then turn it off when my dough is ready to rise. I set the bowl on top of the center of the stove on top (not on a burner..on the metal) and then cover with a towel..it never fails to rise perfectly..just from the heat left over from the oven being on. Of course not all ovens/ stoves are the same so it may only work with mine.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  05:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
mmmmm! We had the BEST french bread last night! Doug and I together ate half a loaf while it was still steamy hoty because it was so good! Nothing more heartening than warm bread and butter!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How to proof your bread dough Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page