Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's your flour mill? Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile
My favorite flour has hit $7.95 for a five pound bag. So I think I'm going to go with a flour mill and buy my own berries. What is your flour mill? Is it your dream mill? What features do you like about it? What do you dislike? After working with your own, is there any one out there you think you'd rather have?

I sure do appreciate your help. Every manufacturer will tell you theirs is the best. I need to find out what real people think. Thanks!

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Where do you find wheat berries? Is it cheaper to grind your own flour? I know what you mean about rising flour prices.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile
I use my Vita-mix with the dry container. I looked at many flour mills before I bought the Vitamix, but I chose the vitamix because of all the other things it can do as well. www.vitamix.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  5:26:34 PM  Show Profile
What about a Bosch mixer? I've heard some good things about them.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever tried an electric coffee grinder? I am tempted to try one for wheat berries. I say this because a few years ago, I used a small coffee grinder to grind up flax seed for a horse of mine with skin allergies (flax is supposed to help with that due to the Omega 3 acids in it) and it did a GREAT job. I basically got flax "flour".

Anyway, the coffee grinders are tons cheaper than the grain mills and geez, if they'd work and last well, it would be worth a try I think. My little coffee grinder was used for well over a year and never quit.
(At which time, I placed the horse in a home where the knats she was allergic to were non-existant)

Also, does anyone know the shelf life of wheat berries? I am embarrassed to say I have some in a sealed, never-opened, white plastic container, stored in the cool basement that are 8 years old. I was going to feed them to the chickens, but. . . . (yeah, you guessed it: They were part of our Y2K stash!

fondly,
Renee M. in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  10:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Erin, I order big bags of wheat berries from our local food co-op/healthy grocery store. I'm not sure the overall loaf of bread is cheaper than the cheapest bread on the shelf, but its SO much better for you, I think its worth it.

Check out www.urbanhomemaker.com for lots of info on grain mills. The lady that owns it is very helpful in answering questions via email, though very sadly she just lost her husband, so may not be as quick right now.

Farmgirl Sister #138
http://www.LilBitCrunchy.blogspot.com

Edited by - Aunt Em on May 22 2008 10:13:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  10:14:06 PM  Show Profile
We get our red wheat from a farmer. We trade him eggs for it because he also brings the bottom of the grain bin stuff to our chickens. I am just using my old blender to grind the wheat. It works fine. I have a really good whole wheat pancake recipe made in the blender starting with the wheat kernels if you're interested.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  11:13:58 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Aunt Em
. . . Check out www.urbanhomemaker.com

Thank you so much for this link -- I'm printing off recipes right now!
-- Renee M. in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  11:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Renee...wheat is good for many many years....20 at the least if kept sealed and dry..so your wheat is totally fine!!
My mill is a whisper mill. I have had a hand grinder (corona type) for years and years...but a neighbor who was getting a new electric mill and knew I didn't have one gave me her "old" one 5 years ago..it works perfectly...and is quiet. I LOVE it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  04:55:55 AM  Show Profile
i have a "back to basic" Mill. I love it because it holds 2 cups of wheat, corn, ... Infact ui ground 2 cups of corn the other day. My DH bought me a "country living" mill on xmas. I hate it. It is heavy, hard to clean, I'm afrad of ruining the steal burr. The country living is great for cracking corn and beans.
I get my grains at minnonite stores. In MO: La Monte, Tipton, Versailes. In AR Harrison.
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  05:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Mine is a Diamant hand grind mill. We use it many times daily, as we grind grain for the stock, and change the burrs for flour, etc. I love it and think it's beautiful to look at in the kitchen. There is a picture of one in Mary Jane's Farm Kitchen magazine edition, on page 42.

Farmgirl
sisterhood #167
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  07:36:09 AM  Show Profile
I had heard really good things about the Whisper Mill, but have been cautioned to stay away from those since the company has gone out of business and you can't get replacement parts. I do have a coffee grinder but I'm afraid the small batches would drive me bonkers. Plus, the lack of uniformity would bother me. I want a really uniform flour. I've been looking at the Nutrimill. It does 20 cups at a time, and doesn't take up much space. I thought about adding the grain mill to my KitchenAid mixer, but I understand it does a poor job of making uniform flour.

I would LOVE a Diamant, but alas a hand crank one would have a hard time finding a home in my little kitchen. They sure are beautiful to look at though.

Here's the Nutrimill. It's pretty intriguing to me, but what do I know at this point??? I'd be grateful if those of you who have used mills would take a look and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/index.aspx#Nutrimill
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  09:05:36 AM  Show Profile
It looks really good MaryAnn...if I ever have to replace my Whisper Mill I will sure be looking at that one....I like it! I didn't know about the Whisper Mill's company going out of business...so if anything ever happens to mine I will be up a creek..yikes!! I am glad I have a hand grinder that would hold me over until getting a new one..but I am sure spoiled with the electric one right now.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a Whisper Mill. Have had it for years and I've never needed replacement parts yet. It is quieter than most mills too. The company did go out of business but they were actually bought out by another company so they are still available and called the Wonder Mill. I also have the Bosch mixer and I love it. I have had it for years too and wouldn't trade it for anything. It has many attachments, I only have a few but it is well worth the money. I feel I have gotten my money's worth already.
I get my wheat berries from a co-op. Although at present I am still using wheat berries I bought about 10 years ago. I have kept them in buckets with oxygen absorbers in and they are fine. Come to think of it I need to make a batch of bread! Just FYI using the Bosch I can make 4 loaves at a time. Keep one out for use and freeze the rest. I also freeze any flour that is left over from grinding that I don't use in the recipe it's great for cookies and things. I use red wheat for all my recipes.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 23 2008 11:08:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:11:39 AM  Show Profile
MaryAnn,
The thing about the Nutrimill doing 20 cups at a time, unless you are going to freeze the flour I wouldn't think you would need that much at one time.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 23 2008 11:13:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  5:43:41 PM  Show Profile
I hate to admit it, but I found mine at a garage sale. the lady wasn't really sure what it was or how it worked and I paid .50 for it. It's pretty old-from the early 70's I think and called a Rich Flour Mill. It has all sorts of settings, but I did have to make a few "parts" for it out of a tin can and cardboard. For .50 I can live with that :)
It works great!
kate

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile
wow Kate now that is what I call being resourceful. Good for you!

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile
I am fairly new to milling my own grain. We purchased the Country Living Mill and absolutly love it. As one of the gals said it is large but, DH mounted mine to a stand by itself so it is not taking counter space. Our main reason for buying this one was that it can be used either manually or attached to an electric motor. I have used it without the motor and it is easy but, does take a while. We now have the motor for it and it just zips right along. If for some reason my motor stopped working then I still am able to use my mill while it is being repaired. As far as cleaning- I find it really easy.

I purchase my wheat through Bob's Red Mill. I can drive up there and buy 25lb bags of what I need, and smaller bags of grains that I would like to try.

I have read a few times not to use the attachment for the Kitchen Aid because it is really hard on the motor.

Check out Country Living's web site www.countrylivinggrainmills.com

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  2:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I actually have 3 mills. I bought a kitchen aid attachment about 16 years ago. I used that for five years and it worked pretty good.
By the way my kitchen aid is 24 years old and i have been making 4 loaves of bread every 10 days over the past 24 years. It has really paid for itself. Its been a super appliance and worth the money I paid for it.
Anyway then when Y2K was coming I got worried and we scraped up the money for a a big hand grinder.Of course nothing happened... I was a little disappointed.....lol. Its made in the USA but can't find the name on it.It has a wheat stalk on the side of it and its white. It can be hooked up to a pully and a motor. It also had a huge flywheel on it with a wooden handle and its easy to turn. It really grinds finely or can be set to grind coarse. I love it. I use this for cornmeal mostly. Flour when I don't feel like listening to the electric one.
I also have an elctric one thats a KTEC kitchen flour mill. Its kinda loud but grinds super fine. I have been using the heck out of it for 8 years.

I use to use Red Winter wheat berries but found something I liked about 8 years ago. Its called Prarie Gold wheat berries. Its a golden color. Same fiber, healthy, but has a lighter color and also a little nuttier and sweeter taste. I absolutely love making everything with it. People are always amazed how good the bread and everything else made with it taste. It really makes a good loaf of bread.
I use to be able to get it for 19 dollars for $50 lbs. This time it went up to $37 for 50 lbs. Its still worth it for me because of the quality. If you have never tried this wheat its worth trying. It comes from the company Prarie Gold Wheat Montana. We have an Amish community that is about 40 minutes from here. I always order 2 50 lb bags to make it worth the gas money. I unfortunatly own a 12 year old diesel truck and gas is almost $5 here...I love the truck for farming
Whatever grain mill you choose you will be happy using the fresh flour for baking. Theres nothing quite like it. I started over 26 years ago and have never gone back.

Linda

Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the Nutrimill that I stoleborrowed from my MIL. I just set aside a day that's 'grinding day' and sit out with 50 lbs of rice on my back porch and let 'er rip! I use the food saver to seal it all up as it comes out and stick it in the freezer. Lasts for months and I don't even have to think about it until I grab for the last bag. Then, it's time for another 'grinding day'. Loud messy project, though!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's your flour mill? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page