Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Dried Lemon Balm Leaves - 1st batch taken.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Dried Lemon Balm Leaves - 1st batch taken. Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  5:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Update:

I was able to share my excess dried leaves with other farmgirls, and started two large batches of Lemon Balm Tincture. That tincture will be ready in 6 weeks.
If anyone would like more leaves, I can probably harvest and dry them again in another couple of weeks. Just send me an email and I will let you know when it is ready.
---------------------

I have a BUMPER crop of Lemon Balm this year, and I harvested the leaves last week to start a batch of Lemon Balm Tincture. (See Farmgirl Connection cookbook for the recipe, or search Herbal Wisdom for the recipe posted by "Kathy of the Enchanted Wood".

At this writing, I have four quart size mason jars filled with dried Lemon Balm leaves, way, way more than I will need for my tinctures or for cooking purposes. Lemon Balm can be used to make or flavor hot tea or iced tea, salads, or anything else that needs a little lemon lift...or to make this wonderful tincture referred to as "The exlixer of life".

Does anyone want to barter dried leaves for different herbs from your garden, or for cookbooks?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Jun 09 2008 6:43:44 PM

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  7:35:06 PM  Show Profile
Jo,
What did you use as the liquid for your tincture? I've got lots of lemon balm too.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  05:53:29 AM  Show Profile
I may be interested in some...I make dream pillows plus I make herbal teas...I have extra dried Yarrow, Violet leaves and Stawberry leaves for trade....just let me know :-) I may have some cookbooks "lurking" about...I know I have the herbs tho.

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  06:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Kristine, I use vodka in my tinctures, but Kathy's recipe says you can use glycerin for a non-alcoholic version.

Amy, I would love some yarrow at least, and perhaps the others as well...I will send you an email to coordinate!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:24:42 AM  Show Profile
JoAnne, sent you back a reply...sounds good :-)

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  05:20:26 AM  Show Profile
So. . .do you still have more, or is it all spoken for? I don't have any dried herbs, but what kind of cookbooks are you looking for?
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile
Jo...I recv'd my package today...thanks so much...look forward to using it. I will send out your herbs (for trade) sometime this Saturday.

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Edited by - amyartgirl on Jun 05 2008 5:34:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Amy, thanks for letting me know you received the Lemon Balm. Will look forward to receiving your package!

Sheila, I still have two bags of dried leaves - one is spoken for - these are quart-size Ziplok bag of dried leaves...just send me an email me with your address.

As for cookbooks, I'd be interested in almost anything, crockpot/oriental/italian/american cooking, or just about anything else (probably not vegetarian or diet/lite versions, though).

Thanks!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Ah Ha! The mailman bringeth! I got your package, Amy! Can't wait to try out some of these!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Woohooo...wow, that was one fast package delivery there. Glad that you got these Ok....Enjoy :-)

I will e-mail ya some recipie ideas sometime later on this week...in the meantime...check out the internet. Strawberry leaves are like raspberry leaves...very astringent, helps with bleeding (like Yarrow does). Violet is very high in vitamins A and C and is a wonderful tonic herb.

quote:
Originally posted by Hideaway Farmgirl

Ah Ha! The mailman bringeth! I got your package, Amy! Can't wait to try out some of these!

Jo

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Edited by - amyartgirl on Jun 09 2008 1:34:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Soozy-B
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Susan
Glendale WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  1:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Soozy-B a Yahoo! Message
I'm growing lemon balm for the 1st time in my dish herb garden this year! Is it best to dry it by plucking off the leaves & drying them flat?

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  2:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your lemon balm, Susan! You should either pluck the leaves or take the whole stalk, depending upon the quantity (the more to pick, the faster it is to cut the stalks and then pull of the dry leaves later. Either way, try to harvest leaves in the early mornings. Lay the stalks out flat, don't stack them on top of each other. Individual leaves can be picked and put into a bowl or laid out on the counter, and "sifted" periodically to stir them around as they dry. Depending on the temperature and humidity, this takes a couple of days. The leaves will turn a bit darker green/brown color; that's okay. Hint: Don't try to speed up the process using a warm oven; I have tried it and can never get it just right. Best to pick them, forget about them for a couple of days, and then go on with whatever you are going to do with them.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Soozy-B
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Susan
Glendale WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Soozy-B a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jo! I appreciate the help! The lemon balm smells so fresh & good. I'm going to start drying it & save some for tea!

Sue

quote:
Originally posted by Hideaway Farmgirl

Congrats on your lemon balm, Susan! You should either pluck the leaves or take the whole stalk, depending upon the quantity (the more to pick, the faster it is to cut the stalks and then pull of the dry leaves later. Either way, try to harvest leaves in the early mornings. Lay the stalks out flat, don't stack them on top of each other. Individual leaves can be picked and put into a bowl or laid out on the counter, and "sifted" periodically to stir them around as they dry. Depending on the temperature and humidity, this takes a couple of days. The leaves will turn a bit darker green/brown color; that's okay. Hint: Don't try to speed up the process using a warm oven; I have tried it and can never get it just right. Best to pick them, forget about them for a couple of days, and then go on with whatever you are going to do with them.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  12:09:44 PM  Show Profile
Sheila, Thanks for the great cookbook! It arrived today and I can't wait to go through it tonight! Hope you have your Lemon Blam by now...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  5:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo, I do, thought I'd emailed you to let you know. Sorry! Thank you so much for it! It's a great addition to our tea mix! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  1:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Glad you like it! Try it in iced tea, too, if you drink that in the summer months.

I've picked out a couple of recipes to try...first one will be Chicken Breasts with Herbs stuffed under the skin. Yum...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ok ,You all have my curiosity up. What is lemon balm?
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Karen,

Lemon Balm is an herb, related to the mint family I think, but it has wonderful properties for use in recipes or herbal remedies. You will find it listed in any herb book, along with suggested uses. It's also a wonderful ornamental plant, which is how I used it for about 12 years before I realized the health benefits from a fellow farmigrl posting here on the Farmgirl Connection.

Here are a couple of links, but you'll be able to find lots of information on the internet, or the library, or the bookstore.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lemon-balm-000261.htm#Medicinal%20Uses%20and%20Indications
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-126.html

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  6:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jo, the links were helpful. Learned something I never knew. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  6:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Hehee, lemony plants are a hot topic. We just finished an article on lemon verbena: http://www.bigtownfarmer.com/articles/Lemon%20Verbena.html

Hey Jo, do you have any more left? I am starting to dry cinnamon basil, lemon basil, chocolate peppermint, and regular peppermint and might want to trade. It'll take a few days for the plants to dry; I am hanging them upside down, but let me know if you are interested in any of these

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  08:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Zan, I may have enought to harvest more in another couple of weeks...I would like to try either one of the basil flavors if you want to trade. How are you using yours after they've dried?

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jo, I'm using the dried lemon basil in olive oil as a marinade for veggies and the cinnamon basil is used in my Thai cooking..it definitely has a cinnamon-y flavor...very interesting and different.

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  4:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Both of those sound good ... I'll send you an email when mine is ready, OK? I may be able to harvest enough this weekend and have it ready for mailing by middle of next week.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  7:44:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jo, I'm gonna try to harvest tomorrow, they look pretty good and see how they dry and I'll let you know, too :D

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Butterbeans
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

renee
Mayfield Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  07:10:04 AM  Show Profile
I grow lemon balm also and take a leaf or two and rub directly on my arms and legs when working in the garden, keeps the nasty biting mosquitos away.

B2B
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  07:15:49 AM  Show Profile
That's a good tip, Renee! I'll give that a try!

Jo

Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Dried Lemon Balm Leaves - 1st batch taken. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page