Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Colitis Attack Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  08:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Well I went and did something wrong or may be it's just life. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with severe microscopic colitis after two years of going from doctor to doctor, test after test, drug after drug and then finally I took control and fixed the problem with huge amounts of Imodium and diet. Well this time it's different. About two years ago it started up again but was manageable until December 07. I finally went to the doctor again and she started me on Asacol 2 tablet 4 times a day. When I looked at the pill I though it look familiar but took it and it seemed to help. When I went for a refill it was almost $400.00 a month with out insurance. NO WAY!!!!! so I went back to my way and things seemed to get better until 4 weeks ago. I also hurt my back in April 07 and that started to act up too. So I went on the Asacol and wham I remember why it looked familiar. I took it during those trial periods and it only made it worse. So now I'm off work for a week to rest. I have a colonoscopy to schedule today and am eating a clear diet, drinking unflavored gelatin, baby rice cereal and mashed foods. I am so hungry I would kill for a cup of coffee and anything chocolate. The cat's food this morning looked good enough to eat. Anyone with any ideas? I throw out all the junk in the house that I would eat. Except the candy bar that Rebbeka sent me, that's going to be my reward when I feel better. I have good organic Kefir and yogurt but haven't started them yet though I should wait maybe. But if anyone else has any suggestions I would love them as I can't get more the 30 feet from my bathroom and I visit it 30-50 times a day. No lie! Then throw the back into the mix and I'm a real mess. I hate to take all those RXs and feel that it can be controlled with diet and exercise. Had to stop my exercise for 4 weeks. Have some I can do but not my daily 3-6 mile walk. Any help for a starving woman?

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  08:30:37 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo- $400 a month, what a croc these drug companies are!!!!
You take care of yourself through all this. I am so glad to hear you are making kefir, my girlfriend in Portland is sending me kefir grains this week so I can try it. She says she kefirs coconut milk- mmmm. Could you drink coconut water on your clear diet?
We are all thinking of you and wishing for your healing, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Hubby has to go and have that done 2nd time for him
I have to do that too.
I hope you can get some kind of medication that will help and will not be so costly
It irrates me to no end about the drug compainies they are taking advantage of us and it isn't fair !!
I just sent up a prayer for you.
Let us know how things goes. hugs , pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  12:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I hope you can get relief soon. I know what you mean about being hungry. When my gall bladder got really bad, Ilived on toast and yogurt....I was starved!!! Please, though, and this never hurts, drink lots and lots and lots of water. To hydrate your body always makes a good difference. It will not take away the problem, but hydration can be a mircale worker sometimes.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

KodakMoments
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Vanessa
Mendocino County California
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile
This is my very first post on a public forum so with trepidation, I offer my thoughts... If I were in your position, I would first ask my doctor to run a gluten-sensitivity antibody blood test to rule out a very common and usually overlooked potential underlying problem. On a gluten-free diet, antibodies will disappear over time, so I would want to rule it out before I went gluten-free, as a gluten-free diet is quite restrictive. Gluten-sensitivity (a.k.a. Celiac Disease) is often not considered by physicians as an underlying issue to other diseases unless it presents as a textbook case, which it seldom does. Many people can be quite ill with gluten-sensitivity and be misdiagnosed for years. If I had colitis, I would also buy a neutraceutical grade L-Glutamine supplement which is known to help in healing a leaky gut. Leaky gut syndrome is not uncommon and often has its early roots even a single round of antibiotic use. Leaky gut syndrome can lead to food allergies and leaking of intestinal toxins into the bloodstream, causing other health issues over time. Other food sensitivities I would want to investigate would be casein (protein found in cow's milk) and/or lactose (the sugar found in cow's milk). I would also rule out the possibility of parasites--an occupational hazard of living around animals be they the four-legged outdoor kind or companion pets. We'd like to all think we are above such things, but most of us are probably not. Intestinal parasites can tear up a colon and contribute heavily to a leaky gut, colitis--and worse. Other neutraceuticals I would want to supplement would be a multi-vitamin with special emphasis on the water-soluable B's and C. I would also want plenty of neutraceutical grade calcium and magnesium in my diet. Evem without a diagnosis of colitis, I would also want to consume a spoonful of raw, organic cocoanut oil several times per day to keep the population of "bad bugs" in check and encourage the repopulation of good bugs--which I would get from a neutraceutical grade (human organisms only) probiotic supplement. As my colon began to heal, I would then begin getting as much of my food in the form of raw, organic vegetables as possible. Initially, raw vegetables might irritate an already irritated colon so I might try to juice raw organic vegetables for the time being to get some nutrition into my body. I might find that stress management would prove valuable, as well as cold compresses in the abdominal area to help reduce inflammation. Later, I might investigate colon irrigation by a trained professional to help remove fecal plaque attached to the lining of the colon from a diet high in processed and refined foods. I would dig out my copy of "The Master Cleanse" and consider doing another colon cleanse. I would most certainly get out my tea pot (or make sun tea) from herbs such as German Chamomile (a nerve sedative and anti-inflammatory), perhaps experimenting with Peppermint tea (aids in digestion) and herbs such as Slippery Elm, which is noted for healing mucous membranes. As I am less familiar with herbs than I am with neutraceutical grade vitamins and minerals, I might consult an herbalist for further suggestions. Essential fatty acids (found in flax seed, hemp seed, primrose and fish oils) are most lacking in the American diet and it is well documented that their abudance is necessary for general good health from top to bottom in the human body. I would certainly want to make sure that my diet included a variety of sources of Omega 3's and 6's (especially 3's). As I've gotten older I have realized the wisdom in Grandma's bottle of cod liver oil and garlic cloves, and developed a more recent appreciation of wheat grass juice for healing propensity. Your body has the wisdom to heal itself with time and proper nutrition. If an M.D. isn't getting you where you need to be, then may I suggest you find a N.D. (Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine). Best to you!

Edited by - KodakMoments on Jun 10 2008 10:05:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Colitis Attack Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page