sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  9:25:53 PM  Show Profile
My daughter coerced me into buying a duckling for her a couple weeks ago while we were at the farm store. To be fair, I also bought a chick for my son. Other than one bantam rooster my son had a few years ago, I really know nothing about poultry (although thanks to the Backyard Chicken Forum, I'm learning a lot). I wish I had known how nasty ducklings can be. This little guy is a full time job just keeping the brooder livable. He is either slinging water everywhere or leaving pooty in the feeder or waterer - not to mention he eats constantly which results in a constant supply of pooty. Needless to say, he may not get a companion because I don't know if I can stand this a second time. I'll be so glad when he can go out in a week or so. I feel bad for Gretchen (the chick) for having to live with him. lol

So I'm wondering if they are all this messy or is he just gifted?

Good Old Fashioned Lye Soap
http://www.sugarwoodnaturals.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  11:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Jackie, but this just made me laugh out loud. Yep, you are so right!!! I have nine of the little mess makers, you can read their story under Barnyard Buddies too. Eggs we hatched after the mother duck got killed by a mink. I just sat down, and I have just cleaned their (very large) box for the fourth time today and they are only a week old!
Stones placed in their water dish do help to keep them from playing in it, but you have to leave spaces so they can dip their entire beaks. As for the constant supply of droppings, well I'm thinking another compost box might be in order! haha Yep, they are messy alright and much work. Tomorrow I continue mink-proofing their side of the barn, I am so done with having them in the house! It's a good thing they are so cute!
Di

Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  06:03:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I feel so much better to know I'm not alone. You have nine?! I can't even imagine it. I will be sure to read their story. Thank you for the stones tip. I will definitely be trying that. :)

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  4:08:23 PM  Show Profile
LOl yep..they are big poop butts. LOL I'd seperate the little chicky into a seperate pen/cage though.
When we had ours indoors because they were so tiny yet..we had a cage with a slide out plastic bottom..it helped some.but of course definitely daily clean up.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  8:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
LOL!!! We had two ducks and a goose and I swear of the 5 acres we have, there was maybe 3 feet without poo on it! I was supremely over joyed for Game/Wildlife to come and get em. But on the upside, 2 years later our grass is greener than Ireland!!!

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  07:36:38 AM  Show Profile
I had to laugh-they are nasty little critters! I got a kick out everyone else's experience with them too. We had ours get out of their pond/pasture area one time and they made a bee-line for my back porch/patio. Oh my gosh!! what a nasty, nasty MESS! EWWWWWWW! And they weren't there that long either! But they sure are cute.

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  6:09:09 PM  Show Profile
LOL Yeah, they are cute. It's been so hot and humid here the past couple days that I put them outside in a large cage today. Of course, it's already mostly covered in pooty, but at least poor Gretchen can find a couple clean spots. Plus I put a board in there for her to roost on. I also put a shallow water pan in there so Charlie has a "pond" to play in. He's loving it! And the best part is the floor of the cage is plastic so I can just spray it off. Thank goodness!

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  12:07:25 AM  Show Profile
I must have been pretty lucky with my duck. She liked to make a mess in the water pans that the chicken also used, but I don't remember her being a POOP machine! Of course, I'd had "Mrs. Robinson" (she always had MUCH younger boyfriends) for a LOOONG time-- about 7 or 8yrs I think. Sadly, a family of racoons (sp?) took her out, with most of my chicken flock, several weeks ago. She was an Indian Runner. Funny looking thing--- like a fat pencil with feathers!

I will be getting more in a few weeks. Am I crazy for doing so? Probably! But I miss my duck and I would like to have a few more.

Your duck won't be so bad once it's older, but it'll STILL be playing in it's water dish! What breed is it anyway? Some are harder to deal with than others. I like the runners myself.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  1:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm not a duck expert and I got him (hopefully him) from the farm store and they didn't know. But from looking at pictures, I think he's a Khaki. I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Robinson (that name cracks me up though) and your chickens.

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  1:55:16 PM  Show Profile
oh I love the runners too..they are hilarious..but I've not been able to find them around here. I had one as a pet when I was a kid.
Now we have a crested peking duck and she's so funny looking..always has a bad hair day..ha.
Fashionably poofy hair..haha.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  11:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Tina--- you might have to special order some from a mail order hatchery. But they are VERY hard to get sometimes, even from them. I'm not sure if they carry some bad genes or what.

Mrs. Robinson actually got her name AFTER her "Husband" disappeared. She had three "Boyfriends" since then, but they all disappeared too. Probably the same stinkin' raccoons that got her and my chickens.

I had a pair of Pekings once (got them when I got the Runners), but they didn't have the "hair do" yours does. Though I'd like to see that. It must be SOMETHING!!

Hey, anyone have Sabastapol geese? Now those are birds with "BAD HAIR!!!"

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Nasty Little Boogers! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page