Claudelle
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Karla
Corbett Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I recently joined a CSA and am awaiting the first harvest (delayed due to weather). For spring I am expecting salad greens, arugula, carrots, sweet peas, and some herbs. I've honestly never been a big fan of vegetables but have been collecting delicious sounding recipes and thinking up ways to use them. What I am wondering now is what the best way to keep them fresh is? I've seen the infomercials for those "green" bags but they seem a little gimmicky to me. I know you farmgirls will have great tips! Thanks in advance for the help!

Karla
Farmgirl Sister #171
Free Tibet!

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  10:31:17 AM  Show Profile
I have been very happy with the Tupperware Fridge smart line. I didn't get them from Tupperware, I can't afford it. I get them at garage sales and flea markets. They have these little vents on the side and ridges on the bottom. I store my asparagus upright in the large round on the bottom shelf of the fridge, it stays crisp and fresh for over a week. Here is a link to see them.
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/!tw$shop.p_category?pv_ic_code=18002&pn_page=2

Aimee

"Taking joy in life is a woman's best cosmetic."-Rosalind Russell
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  1:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Fridgesmart does work well. They are cheaper on ebay, and sometimes tupperware.com puts them on sale. I have two long ones, but wish I had the big round one for lettuce. Maybe you could host a tupperware party and get them for cheaper. After I bought my CSA, I bought a dehydrator. I figured, If I didn't use it fresh I could dehydrate it for use in soup later. I treat herbs like flowers. I trim them, put them inH2O and keep them cool.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  5:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
The "green bags" Work! My mom bought me some for Christmas and we are still using them. I love them! But I found an additional "trick" to using them. Make sure the produce is as dry as you can get it, then place a paper towel around it inside the bag. It helps absorb moisture.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  06:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I never heard of these "green bags". Are they like ziploc or what?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Claudelle
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Karla
Corbett Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  11:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice Farmgirls! I bought 2 fridgesmart containers (1 small, 1 medium) and a set of 20 resuseable "green bags" on Ebay for about $25 shipped! I love Ebay! =)

Karla
Farmgirl Sister #171
Free Tibet!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Keeping Veggies Fresh Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page