N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  11:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know where I can find one of those old cabinets/pantry with mesh doors on the front? And what are they called? I don't think they're Jelly Cupboards. Maybe its called a Pie Safe?

I'd love to find an antique or antique-style piece. Know where I might find one, aside from searching antique stores? Any internet sources, or maybe you know someone who wants to get rid of theirs (unlikely, I know, but worth a shot.)

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Save our oceans! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Marie! I think I know what ya' mean - I've always called them "pie safes." You might try posting your request under "Farmgirl Barter." I know that tons of things get bought/sold/traded/bartered through there every day!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

April
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

April
Knoxville TN
USA
61 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marie, if you have a Hobby Lobby near you, you may find one there. I saw one, but it wasn't painted, but it had the antique shape to it. Good Luck!

April~
www.abbysweets.blogspot.com & www.aprilssewingroom.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  08:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Marie...yep, I've always called them pie safes, or pie shelves. Hmm...actually--though I don't know how cheap they are--I've seen one or two on occasion on Ebay...AND, there's always Miss Wilma or other antique seller on here who might have some amongst their other lovely objects.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  08:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, if it's mesh, it might be a jelly cupboard, if it's tin and in a punched hole design, it's more likely a pie safe. They also had simple wood panel ones, too...and like with anything, it all depends on what you're looking for. You can find some primitive ones (both is REALLY good shape or really BAD shape) around the $500 and under mark, not much under $385.00. Then there are those that are in the $850-$2400 and up market. We were going to buy my mil one for her 60th birthday in January (but didn't because her husband said they don't have the room) and I looked a lot of places for them and that's the pricing I discovered.

Some pretty, nice new ones though for about $490 on line, made in Pennsylvania and custom stained.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
SHOOT!! I had one before we moved and I gave it away-no one wanted it. Darn!!! It was a smaller counter one but still cute. Drat!! I would have sent it to ya!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple of them and found one at a yard sale and one in the cellar below our garage when we moved in here. I would just keep an eye out at junk sales, old folks yard sales (always the best ONES!) and maybe auctions.
Are these what you mean? It is hard to tell from the pictures but they both have metal "screening" in the doors.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jun 04 2008 10:02:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Not sure where to post this... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page