SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  12:19:12 PM  Show Profile
I have a 20 month old grandson who just refuses to eat much. Seems now that he is active and getting into everything, he just is not interested in food. It worries all of us. He loves fruit and his milk but will take bites of other food and spits it out. Doctor said not to worry and he would eat when he is hungry. He takes a vitamin. Does anyone else have a toddler that does this?

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  2:20:35 PM  Show Profile
No, mine have always been good little eaters.
Your doc is right though, it is a phase, and he will eat when he is hungry.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

chellybelly
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Michelle
Knoxville TN
USA
65 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  2:39:07 PM  Show Profile
My toddlers were not good eaters either. Our pediatrician said to look at what they eat in the course of a week as opposed to what they eat at each meal. It turned out that those little bits here and there were actually a pretty well balanced diet.
Just keep offering lots of kinds of foods and he'll come around.
Bigs hugs to you 'cause I know it can be hard worrying if they are getting enough.

Michelle

Farmgirl Sister #203
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  2:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Charlie was a non eater right before he turned 2. I am talking barely a bite here and there. I gave him fruit and yogurt as snacks and he would eat some. I make green smoothies for myself and he would sip some off of me. Just keep an eye on him and he will come around. I was told they go through a slow down phase then it picks up again. (((HUGS)))

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  4:22:23 PM  Show Profile
When DD was that age she went through a phase of not liking certain foods. Especially any meat. Turned out she didn't like the texture. In hot weather she really slowed down. I remember one vacation to Williamsburg, VA she only ate fruit and ice - for a week. Made me real nervous. My doctor said the same thing about watching what they eat in a week. I wouldn't push him, just offer heathy little bits often. I don't think is unusual. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  04:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all your replys. We will watch him and see what he does eat on a wkly basis. Maybe he will slow down at some point and decide that he wants more than nibbles here and there. Thanks again, I knew that my friends here would help me.
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  06:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Olivia is a great eater--but she has to be because of her disorder. It was a huge issue for us and had to be managed carefully. Anyway, my biggest advice would be to watch your own behavior about food and try not to turn it into a power struggle.

(Obviously I don't know you personally, but I've seen this among my friends.) When you put out new foods, what is your reaction? Do you immediately think, "He's not gonna eat this" or is it exciting? When you eat a new food, what do you say? "Oh, boy, this is fun" or "What is that?" The reason I bring new foods up is because every food is new to him, and he'll watch you for cues on how to handle newness.

Do you sit down and eat at the table every time? Does he snack a lot? I know that when Olivia has had something like a sucker at the grocery store, it throws her whole appetite off and she doesn't want to eat anything. We dilute her juice to keep the sugar rush down too. When I sit to eat, I talk about the food, let her help set the table, etc (and she's been doing this since about 18 months). Even now, Olivia has to try everything on the table--she insists on it! We let her, and give her a lot of freedom as far as food goes. (The other day she ate a piece of chicken and she had four salad dressings to dip in. )

The other thing I'd say would be to keep a food diary for a few days. You might find that he is eating more than you think, or that he has a natural schedule where he eats more certain times of the day.

Good luck!!

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Edited by - kindacrunchymom on May 28 2008 06:07:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Our pediatrician said the same: they will eat when they are hungry. I had a picky one and for a while I swear I was sustaining her life with fruit snacks and Carnation Instant Breakfast!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:13:40 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Molly. It is scary. I did read a post on a medical site that you can take whole milk with fruit and honey or wheatgerm and blend together like a smoothie to help them get some good stuff in them. Will be trying that. I thought it was just my grandson but looks we are not alone. Thanks for everyones reply.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I used to love as a kid, taking a frozen banana and blending with milk to make a sweet shake- no sugar needed! Just peel and freeze those bananas once they get too over ripe to use! Nora also loves them, but I think them down so she can suck them through a straw. Lots of nutrition too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  1:42:46 PM  Show Profile
I will try the frozen banana - sounds good and Logan loves bananas!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Toddler & Eating Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page