Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What kind of dog food do you buy??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What kind of dog food do you buy?? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I started Chloe on Pedigree and her breath is a nightmare!!

She was on a store brand in CA but they don't make it here. She never had breath problems and her...um....poopies were better. She has no dental issues. HELP!! I can't stand the bad breath!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  7:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anytime you switch a dog's food you run the risk of digestive upset. I like to buy the Dick Van Patten Natural Balance food. Sky does really well on those and doesn't seem to eat much. A 28lb back will last us 3-4 months. We get the fish one, but that has a strong odor, so you might like to try the lamb instead.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  7:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
She has been on it for 8 weeks now so I was hoping it would go away. I am going to Tractor and Feed tomorrow to see what I can find. Thanks!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I also feed Natural Balance to all of my dogs. My boxer eats the reduced calorie because of his pancreatitis, the others are all on the salmon and sweet potato. All are in great shape!

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  8:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
We feed our Mini Schnauzers Nutro Lamb & Rice. It is a low fat and low protein diet and their coats, teeth, and weight are great!
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  8:36:57 PM  Show Profile
I feed my scottie dog Newman's Own Organics.
He LOVES it. He has dog breath though. I don't mind, he is my fur baby, I love him anyways. I do wrestle him down and brush his teeth when I feel ambitious. That seems to help.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  8:41:37 PM  Show Profile
My Penny the Pooch gets Cesar twice a day and Beneful. She has doggie breath also, but I spent a lot of money getting her teeth cleaned and have to use fluoride once a week and also brush her teeth with doggie toothpaste. Her breath isn't too repulsive after she has had her teeth brushed. She doesn't see to mind it any more than getting her nails clipped.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  9:15:22 PM  Show Profile
We have always fed Pedigree...and do have one of our bassets with bad breath...I guess it is an individual thing...I feed her parsley sometimes..and that helps. I hate how the dogs react when I change their food so I don't anymore. I feed two bassets and a mini weiner dog...none pups.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  03:28:55 AM  Show Profile
I used to feed Cloud Star, then switched to Wellness and Merrick because our local heath food store carries it.

You might want to invest in having your dog's teeth cleaned.

You can also offer uncooked soup bones. But be careful because cooked ones can splinter more easily.

And if you change a dog (or cat's food for that matter), do it in slow increments by substituting some of the old for new. If its done gradually it shouldn't be such a problem. Kind of the same principal as starting human infants on rice cereal and gradually adding more real adult food. The digestive system gets eased into it.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  06:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! I forgot to mention you might want to give her a little yogurt as her digestive track might need the enzymes and bacteria if she has been having messy stools for a while.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  07:37:58 AM  Show Profile
We give Sarge, our dobie/shep. mix Kibbles n Chunks. It has one of the highest protein levels we found. He is very active and kinda high strung so its perfect for our pupper!

hug jess

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile
When I bought my pug she was on puppy chow. I have switched her over to bentiful but am now looking at going to an all natural diet for her. I am trying to do that for my family and she is part of the family so I think I should feed her "good food" also.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  12:07:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm another fan of Dick Van Patten Natural Balance foods. Relatively inexpensive, for the quality of the food (compared to similar brands), and I've found that almost all my pet's allergies, skin problems, bad breath, etc. disapears when they're eating it.

Another brand I like (and another one that clears up allergies,etc) is ((surprise)) Kirkland brand. If you have a Costco membership, you might see if they still sell their good dog food. The ingredients are mostly whole foods (the cat food isn't the same quality, though, for some reason ), and is even better priced than Natural Balance.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  12:57:33 PM  Show Profile
I look for dog food that has chicken as the top ingredient and try to steer clear of corn since my dog has allergies. He's been on some food for a while now that makes his breath smell awful so we're getting ready to switch to something else. He never has digestive problems when we switch foods...and we've switched a lot in his 9 years of life!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  3:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Actually, a meat meal listed first and then a specific meat is better. This means more meat and less water since the ingredients are listed by weight
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What kind of dog food do you buy?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page