Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  8:46:57 PM  Show Profile
I have finally bought a house... However it is every old and really dirty. The people that lived there befor were smokers (inside and out). We got a really good deal for the house, but we also had lots of problems and the house took almost 4 months to close. So now we are trying to fix it up and move in. We have a 2yr old and a 4yr old and i am 30 weeks along with #3.... I need to clean the wall paper with out having to replace it all. Any idea's for safe prego cleaning.... Kristy

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  9:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristy-

First off protect yourself when cleaning up the smoke! Nicotine can and does penetrate the skin- especially when "revived" with water! I also recently was cleaning up some nicotine nastiness from a long-time smoker. My best advice is a really good supply of rags, lots of hot soapy water and elbow grease. Wash ceiling first making sure to protect skin from drips. A sponge mop is great for this. Then start from the ceiling down. Wash at least 3 times if you don't plan on painting- at least once if you do. Do the same with the wall paper, but with cooler water. Also make sure you get any carpets either ripped out or steam cleaned before your Little Ones come in contact with it as carpet is notorious for holding onto nicotine vapors.

If you have the money, it might be worth it to hire a professional cleaning service as I am really concerned about a pregnant woman coming in contact with that type of toxins. I know that I always fell gross and my health felt out of whack when I was cleaning up the previously mentioned house. My heart would race if I got too much of the cleaning water on my hands, I was much more thirsty than normal, I felt sluggish and often sick to my stomach.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  9:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Kristy,
Alee is right, be very careful, wear a mask, gloves etc. or enlist the aid of friends and family and you just point and direct.
I moved into our house when I was 7 months pregnant, and I didn't lift a finger. I had great family and friends.

My parents had to sell my Grandma's house after she passed. She chain smoked in that house for about forty years.
They steam cleaned the carpet-twice. It helped, but Mom told me the carpet was still nasty, and she wouldn't let my son, who was a baby at the time, lay and play on the carpet.
If money isn't an issue, I would just replace it before you move in.
(Incidentally, rip a corner up, perhaps there is hardwood under that nasty carpet??? If there is, rip out the carpet all together.)

On the walls they used something called TSP. I believe it was a powder of some kind you sprinkle in your water. Not sure how toxic it is,(or isn't) but it took the smell and nastiness away, and cleaned wonderfully. It did take a couple of washings-partly because my Mom is anal.
After cleaning, hire a painter and have him repaint everything (walls and ceiligns) with Kilz or something similar.
It will be worth the investment to have clean basic white walls to start fresh with.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 25 2008 9:28:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  07:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kate- Yes, TSP is a great cleaner, however it is a phosphate so if you have a grey water system or a high water table, it probably is not best to use this cleaner. Here is a site that talks about it a bit more, including mixing directions. You can find TSP at just about any hardware store in the "cleaning" section.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inftsp.html

I wish I was close by, I would come and do it for you.

Kilz is a great blocker- I believe it is a primer? So you would need to paint over the kilz as well. Also there are some great Eco-Friendly paints out there that are amazing! Here is a link to a local (to me) store: http://www.thenaturalabode.com/ They have great information on the site.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  07:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My parents hired professionals to do their house they are selling because it was so nasty. I think it is worth the money and they contained all the water they used for disposal later. It worked great!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  09:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Thank You for your advice..... My mother in law in just going to prime and paint right over all the stuff untill we are able to rip it all out and replace the damages under it. I tryed to wash a little, but lost my intrest really fast, because i hate quick fixes... If your going to fix or change somthing than do it right first! Right? So any way we need to be able to move in quickly so she is going to do all the grunt work and i can stay in bed so to say... Kristy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristy-

I am so glad you aren't going to be cleaning that stuff up yourself! Ugh, it brings back the headache all over again just thinking about it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic cleaning smoke off wall paper? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page