Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Keeping your whites...well...white...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Keeping your whites...well...white... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  09:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, so I am slowly changing Charlie's wardrobe over to some basic white t-shirts and I washed them in cold water with the 7th Generation detergent but they were dingy. Could I add baking soda in with the detergent in the little cup (I have a front loader) to help keep them bright? I know hanging out in the sun helps but it hasn't been sunny is 5 days here. Could I add peroxide in the bleach cup? I don't have a lot of white items to wash but the one's I do seem to get dingy. Could I maybe soake them in baking soda or peroxide first? HELP!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on May 07 2008 09:49:48 AM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile
I always add borax to my white loads, and I do wash them in hot, because Jus's "wifebeaters" get dingy after a time, and it brightens them right up. The smell "clean" too. Never tried any of the other stuff you mentioned, Borax seems to work just fine.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  10:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- add half cup baking soda right in with your wash. The baking soda will soften the water allowing it to wash clean. The borax that Jonni suggested can be used with the baking soda as well and it really does help.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  10:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Can I just put the baking soda in with the liquid detergent? Or just throw it in there when I load? Is Borax friendly?I never used it before and honestly, with Charlie's skin sensitivities, I would like something a little more natural.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile
You could also add a little Mrs. Stewart's bluing (or make your own) to the wash, which makes for snowy whites!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  11:21:35 AM  Show Profile
The laundry detergent I make has both Borax and washing soda in it and my whites come out really white - so I'd try both of those together.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  11:23:14 AM  Show Profile
I use 1/2 cup of Borax, and add 1/2 cup of white vinegar. It works for me! Good Luck Heather!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather!

Some of the ladies that use the homemade laundry soap have reported that all the powder does not dissolve and wash away from their laundry cup which is why I recommend putting any powder in with the clothes before you close the door. However, it won't hurt to try just putting the powder in with your liquid- though I would put it in the "powder" side since that gets a rinse of water and I don't know if the liquid side does or not.

Both Borax and Baking Soda are naturally occurring and eco-friendly.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok!! Thanks Ladies. I do appreciate it!! Off to get my whites whiter!!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  1:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather!
How did you make out with the whites? I have super-duper sensitive skin so I use the Purex detergent...purest I've found and my dermatologist recommended it. I also use a little scoop of Oxy-Clean. (even a 1/2 scoop does a great job) I never broke out or anything like that and my clothes are nice and whitey clean fresh!
hugs
jessie

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  1:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I tried throwing baking soda into with the clothes and I put peroxide in the bleach cup instead. I did lay them outside to dry (Got to use that hot Texas sun for something) and things looks good. I realized with the water here, I have to do a hot water wash at least once a week but I am line drying everything so that helps. I feel better not putting chemicals into the water and on us!!! Especially little Charlie...

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  2:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I make my own laundry soap and add a small squirt of bluing in for whites or colors. They both come out clean and bright. We have our own well water so this has been a huge help to get rid of the dingy look.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree, the homemade laundry soap does really well for keeping whites, white. Also if they start needing a little bleaching- you can make up a lemon water soak for them to be put in, then line dry on a SUNNY day, the wash to get the lemon out. Natural bleach!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  8:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
I work at a resort, my husband is a bellman and has white shirts he has to wear, our house keeping dep. suggested putting Pine- sol in with the wash to get them and keep them white. I also started to put some in with my girls clothes that where really dirty.... Seems to work really well for me! Kristy
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm..interesting...thanks Kristy!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Just started using the Mrs. Stewart's bluing liquid...it worked very well! And the Texas sun is bright enough to put an extra zing in the white!! The bluing liquid is very gentle, that is why I like it!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Keeping your whites...well...white... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page