Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you generate a lot of trash??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you generate a lot of trash?? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  6:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I swear, I don't know how, but it seems I throw out a huge black garbage back of trash every 2 days. It is just me and Charlie and yes, he wear disposables (I know I know ) but I think it is all the packaging things comes in. I am really trying to be more conscious of this.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  6:42:43 PM  Show Profile
It's usually only 1 and 1/4 bags each week. I'll go all over the house, inside and out, to fill that second bag. Most of the time it's just one bag. If I do a major purge of closet/corner/shed/under-bed/or some other stash spot then it can be much more.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

Edited by - lisamarie508 on May 24 2008 6:43:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  6:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Right now I generate a ton of garbage because I am cleaning/packing We recycle what we can which is, in all reality, a lot so that helps. Packaging is a huge culprit so I try to buy as much in bulk as possible but it doesn't help when there is an outer package and then a bunch of inner packages!! Yikes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  6:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
One thing that I don't understand here at this housing complex is there is no recycling. OOPS!! I try to take things like newspaper to the drop off sites but we don't have a local facility drop off around here. I am still trying to figure that problem out. Composting is helping with scraps but yes, the packaging is horrible these days!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  7:06:08 PM  Show Profile
It's funny you should mention this...

We've finally gotten much better at recycling, and we are down to one small bag of garbage every 4 or 5 days. Probably the best thing we've done is to try to eliminate or reduce the disposables (much easier now that Livvy is out of dipes--we did a combo of cloth and 'sposies) before they get into the house.

I actually go through our garbage, lol, to see what we're throwing out. Then I try to figure out if we can buy that same thing in less packaging or in recyclable packages. There are some things we currently use that are not recyclable anywhere around here, like yogurt/sour cream/ricotta cups and I still don't have an answer. I'm really thinking of buying a yogurt maker to offset it since we eat so much yogurt.

So, I guess I'm saying, try to keep it out of the house if possible, that makes it much easier to get rid of it later!

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  9:51:24 PM  Show Profile
I wish we could order trash service by the week. DD and I would only need 2 a month. Every week for yard waste. I know - I do compost, but I'm still battling the weeds that were here when we moved in and I just want them outta here.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  05:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. We seem to generate a ton of trash and I am not sure why. Mostly it is because of oaskaging and the fact that we have no place to recycle nearby. This family of 5 can surely do some dmage. I atarted composting earlier this year, I'm using containers that held dry goods for packaging things to be mailed and craft supplies, using soda bottles as garden cloches, etc. but eventually they end up in the trash anyway. It seems that the more I try to be less of a burden, the more I become one. Grrrrrr.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  05:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
packaging is what gets me. the city has recycling pick up with the trash, but it's not an option for those of us who live in apartments. is that wrong or what?! my space isn't big enough to store my recyclables until i can take them somewhere to drop off, so they just go in the trash. food scraps get me to. last night i was scraping watermelon rinds into the trash thinking, my goats would have loved these!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  9:56:44 PM  Show Profile
We have really gone hardcore on recycling at our house, so we might fill up our trash container half way. I recycle everything I can. I even bring a bag to work to recycle cans/bottles or cardboard, and bring that home when it is full. I even got a friend inspired to do it there too.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  07:10:21 AM  Show Profile
We used to create a huge amount of trash - just me and my husband - but when we moved to St. Johns we had to make a committment to change! In order to encourage people to use curbside recycling bins instead of trash bags, the city started a program where you have to use special green garbage bags that you can only buy at a few stores around town. (If you leave your trash out in normal gargabe bags, the garbage men won't pick it up.) They're horribly expensive; I think they were $16 for 10 bags the last time I bought them. For that reason, everyone uses the recycling program as much as possible, to save money on the bags! Also, you're only allowed to throw big things (mattresses, sofas, hot water heaters, televisions, etc.) on one day a year. You have a whole week to put things out to the curb, and then Saturday morning the trucks come. The good thing is that most of what gets put out gets picked up by curb-pickers, so instead of a trash dump, our city becomes a free store!
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  08:18:32 AM  Show Profile
We have curbside recycling in our community! I thought everyone did!!! Duh.... Anyways! We try and reduce,reuse,recycle as much as we can! I just have to try to close the loop and buy recycled products!
Hey! Bought 3 pairs of shoes with recycled soles!!! el Naturalitas!!! i was bad- but I justified it because they were recycled!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller

http://www.thebodyshopathome.com/web/dcole1
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  08:41:17 AM  Show Profile
We have almost none. We burn anything that is paper packaging, recycle all newspaper, mags, metal, plastic & aluminum. We only fill up our garbage can every 4 weeks & just take it to the neighbors & pay half their bill. We just could not justify trash pick up when we only need it once a month!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you generate a lot of trash?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page