MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I just realized during my last trip to the grocery store that while reading the backs of my groceries so many of them were made by ConAgra. I was thinking to myself, "wow, conagra must be a really big company...a company of that magnitude must be practically a monopoly, but must be contributing something positive to the world." But let me tell you how wrong that assumption was. So just now, after reading about McD's and their lack of ethics, I decided to see what I could dig up on ConAgra. Well. If you Google ConAgra, the first 3 pages are THEIR websites. Convenient, huh? (for invenstors and different divisions and subsidiaries) but then I found a GREAT website that provides a lot of information that MANY food giants would NOT want you to know about it. I looked at reviews from ConAgra, and was shocked, thinking this was one of the few companies with such a terrible review, so I looked up Kraft Foods. OMGosh! They are even worse. There are so many animal abuse issues, genetically modified food issues, labor violations, to name a few!
So I am disturbed that I am buying these things and padding the pockets of some sick CEO who could care less about my health or the safety of their animals, or the rights of his fellow humans.
I grow a decent garden each year, but after reading this, I am going to be on a war path to never buy from these companies again. This will be hard considering they are everything from mayonaise, coffee, tea bags, soda, and other things that are not easily homemade. For anyone who is debating on whether or not be become an honest localvore(carnivore/herbavore/localvore:) This is the truth that they need to be aware of! So, here is the link to the website: Check out nestle, kraft, and conagra. Although PepsiCo is ruining aquifers, they vowed to obtain 100% of their energy from alternative sources.(this site does have a section for positive notes and progress.

Girls, I know we ar working on being self sufficient, and providing as much as we can for our families, but lets do more!

http://www.coopamerica.org/

I couldnt find a good United Stated localvore website, but here is a little something on the issue!

http://www.localvore.co.uk/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/26/business/worldbusiness/26food.html?_r=2&ref=dining&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Edited by - MsCwick on May 23 2008 1:43:56 PM

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I will do my best to help you Christine!!! I am still learning the local food options around here. I can't grow anything major as I live in apartment but I can make my own bread- making sure the ingredieant are organic and "safe", stop buying pre-packaged items. Fortunately, the HEB here carries a lot of Texas grown items so I am willing to pay the extra $$$$ for that. I am also going back to my vegetarian ways once I use the meat up in my freezer (sorry, can't waste it). I really would like to get a farmer's market going in my little town here but I don't know how to get started.
I will do my best though!!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  11:18:50 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you whole heartedly!!! It is a shame that we are led like lambs to the slaughter and believe everything we see or hear in advertising. IT IS TIME TO STAND UP AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND NOT JUST SIT BACK AND LET SOME CEO TELL US WHAT IS GOOD FOR OUR FAMILES.

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  4:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Especially when they are conning you into buying genetically modified crap.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Become a localvore! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page