Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Urbanization and food-phobia Next Topic
Page: of 2

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  10:23:33 PM  Show Profile
My sister in law wouldn't eat a rhubard pie I made, wouldn't even try it because it came out of the dirt. She also told me, now that McDonalds has apple slices and salads I don't have to go anywhere else!

I was pretty grossed out at that idea, but it seems like a lot of people agree with her.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  06:36:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm very confused. She wouldn't eat it because it came out of the dirt? Has she ever eaten carrots or onions? Where does she think the potatoes for her french fries come from? I mean, obviously McDonalds washes their food (or the factories that process the food do. By the time it arrives at your local McDonalds all they have to do is defrost it, reconstitute it, or fry it), but so do you.

Your sister in law is crazy. I shouldn't be so blunt but I will be.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  08:00:25 AM  Show Profile
FloralSaucer,
I went to the link for You are what you eat, but didn't see info on a TV broadcast. The info. on the book was interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:31:36 PM  Show Profile
To be honest yes she is. We don't get along well at all. She thinks my family is gross because I have a compost pile and eat things that came out of dirt, and poor because we try to live within our means.. I think she's got mental problems because she watches MTV all day, they make the same income we do but they are up to their ears in debt, not even the kind of debt that you HAVE to have, it's all really weird luxury items. Her latest is this poor little fashion accessory dog with a rhinestone collar and a pink sweater that she keeps almost permanantly in a crate except for when she carries it around in her purse.

So tell me, what is more gross? Having a tiny depressed dog piddle in your pocket or growing your own food? I know what your answer would be, but she has us pegged as dirty hillbillies that eat roadkill and go for nightly swims in the compost heap.

Whoops didn't mean to turn this into a venting thing, but she really is an unpleasant addition to our family.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:51:06 PM  Show Profile
ROFL Bobbie,
Maybe she just buys another purse when the poop plops in the purse.
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey, vent all you want there Girl of Whimsey. Makes the rest of us with nutty relatives feel better...just goes to show you ignorance knows no social or economic barriers..wait, her name isn't PARIS by any chance???
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  2:53:06 PM  Show Profile
She sure thinks it is..but sadly, no it's not.. for if it was she would be part of the Hiltons family, not mine.

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  07:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi, I know what you mean. My own sister refuses to shop at the fruit market. She thinks that both the one with the Russian and Orthodox Jewish people and the one with the Mexicans and Koreans are "gross" and instead buys all her produce at a supermarket. She can't cook at all, despite the fact that every other woman in our family can, and she calls me white trash because I ride the bus.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Wow Bobbi - what does your SIL eat???

She doesn't know what she is missing in fresh-grown veggies! Or PIE made from fresh grown veggies! MMMMmmmmmm!

I've only had rhubarb pie once - I would gladly have her slice!

I do know the type, to an extent. Most of my in-laws are great but they do spend so much money! They make 2x and 4x as much as we do, (they're my hubby's cousins) have big fancy houses, new cars every year (she gets a new minivan, he gets a new, bigger truck), buy their kids all kinds of stupid noisy toys (those kids are awful, but that's another story). They have to have the latest and greates of every new gadget out there. Their homes are full of junk! They are up to their eyeballs in debt, if one of them loses their job they are up a dirty brown creek.

And they think we are nuts to work so hard. We remodel our houses, we have been landlords, we are always either remodeling one of our properties or someone else's. I've had the same car for 10 years, we just bought a "new to us" 2002 car last year to replace DH's that was 14 years old, and we have this noisy, 1986 Ford F-150 to haul stuff in. All our vehicles are paid for, and we are about to pay off our house. No mortgage! (I am so excited). We garden, I bake cookies and breads that people just go gaga over... No we don't go on five cruises every year like they do - we have never been on a cruise! Our idea of a vacation is camping and hiking for a week with the dogs. lol. Can't beat $3 a night camping!

I would take our way of life over theirs any day. My life is full of simple pleasures - like plucking the day's fresh tomatoes off the vine and inhaling that tangy growing-tomato smell that stays on your hands for the rest of the morning. I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a little dirt under my fingernails!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  12:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Golly, I didnt know there were alll those picky people out there.
amazing!!
Althought my SIL wont eat our ORGANIC EGGS because of where they come out of on the chicken. MAN if he ever went to a chciken farm, he would have the surprize of his life. LOL
shirley
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, there's a good one. She won't eat organic eggs because of where they come from? Will she eat eggs at all? What about products cooked with eggs, like cake? Does she even know what goes into what she eats? (My guess is no)
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  1:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, that was a SON-in-law! Let's not blame that bit of craziness on the female gender (we have enough of our own).
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Ooops. I saw SIL and was still thinking about the other woman's sister-in-law.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  11:57:01 PM  Show Profile
ROFL
to funny, my sister in law has way more smarts than my son in law
shirley :))
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Urbanization and food-phobia Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page