ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  12:21:36 PM  Show Profile
I got pensive today while making chicken broth. Like the old saw about the young Jewish woman who threw away the end of the pot roast because her mother threw away the end of the pot roast, I'm the young Jewish woman whose mother used to cut the backbones off of the chicken thighs and throw them away. Unlike the old saw, I knew exactly why my mother threw away the boniest part of the chicken thigh, and I agreed with her that chicken thighs were best with backbones removed. So after throwing them away for a while, I decided it was better to freeze them, and save them to make chicken broth. After I'm done boiling the chicken backs (and necks and wings if I have any), I skin everything, remove what meat is left, and make chicken salad out of it. This requires picking little bits of meat off of chicken spines and necks.

Now, I have to tell you, I'm a city girl, as are my mother and my grandmothers. I post on a farmgirl website because I like to cook from scratch. However, I don't know that many women who would be able to pick over chicken bones and not get grossed out. I don't understand this at all.

This is not an indictment of vegetarianism, since these people often aren't vegetarians. They'll eat chicken if it comes in a form where the bones and skin are already removed, such as boneless skinless breasts, breaded cutlets, nuggets, etc. These same people (if they actually eat red meat, which some do not) wouldn't dream of mashing egg and breadcrumbs into ground beef to make burgers or meatloaf, but would eagerly eat a burger from a fast food establishment.

I read in the book Fast Food Nation that until McDonalds invented the McNugget, most of the chicken in this country was sold on the bone. Nowadays the vast majority of chicken in this country is sold in processed forms like the one mentioned above. Less than 100 years ago, it was common enough in the US for people, when they wanted a chicken, to go back to the hen house, find one, and hack its head off. Nobody I know would be comfortable with slaughtering a chicken themselves.

This is to say nothing of the people who never have to wash a fresh vegetable, etc., because they buy all their food already cooked.

Is there something wrong with a society that has such a disconnect from the source of its food? What kind of problems do you think this will cause in the future? Health problems? Social problems? Right now, I simply find this squeamishness annoying, but I have to wonder if it has deeper implications.

Edited by - ivmeer on Sep 28 2005 12:23:06 PM

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  1:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Not problems in the future. Problems now! Cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gut problems too numerous to mention...these all proliferate in our society and I think it can all be traced to turning our food over to corporations. When we are disconnected from our food, we no longer know about plants, animals, and the land and sea and air. Food becomes just something to fill our stomachs with - we no longer have a relationship with it and we don't care if it's not fresh or nutritious. If we get sick, then we expect a pill to make us better, without ever knowing that our diet and lifestyle prevents a real cure. All of this reaches into other areas - our relationships, our activities, how we raise our children, the way we build our cities, how our communities function - when we are separated from the land, we don't understand that the earth is one ecosystem. It's all connected and we are part of it.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  1:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, how do you think that happens? Do you think it has something to do with the commodity prices falling so much that meat is often cheaper than vegetables? Does this cause us not to have to do the things that I do (boiling bones to make broth, picking them clean for chicken salad, etc.)? If meat were more expensive in relation to vegetables, would this make people healthier?
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  2:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Good question. I always wonder how it happened at the beginning. Processed food tastes so bad, I don't see how people ever accepted it. More than anything, I think it was the convenience factor. For instance, my mom was raised on a farm, and as an adult, she LOVED convenience foods. That's about all we ate when I was growing up. My mom hated the work of farming - she much preferred city life, working in an office, and opening a box by Chef Boy-Ardee when she got home. After a couple of generations raised like this, people know longer know what real food is supposed to taste like. I know I didn't. And, I think everyone just assumed the food was healthy. Why wouldn't it be? Even today, I know people who live on processed foods - everything comes from a box from Safeway - and these people have no clue that the food they eat is nutritionally inferior to fresh food. Even smart, educated people like my husband or his father - it's just not something they ever thought about.
Basically, people don't pick the meat off bones because they can buy it without the bones. Better yet, they can buy a box of ready-made chicken salad and be done with it. I don't know if meat is necessarily cheaper than vegetables - I think people are not buying either one unless it's already cooked for them. Now, I can't complain about this too much - my business is cooking for people who can't or won't cook for themselves, but I do think it's sad.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Personally I think their are two reasons for our detachment from our food sources. Firstly, many people are just plain lazy...much easier to nuke a vinyl pouch of instant potatoes than peel a few. Secondly, we live in a "must have" society where both parents work to make ends meet, but also to have the latest in gadgetry and "things". (Don't jump all over me, I realize it is a necessity in some cases). Some mothers just have way too much piled on their plate.
I was in one of our big box grocery stores a couple weeks ago on a Sunday night. I was appalled at the products (wouldn't call it food) that some stressed out looking mothers were putting into their shopping carts for the weeks lunches and groceries, while dragging around their pale, overweight, tired looking children. One dear little girl of about 7 sticks in my mind...she was literally as round as she was tall. And mom has no-name drink boxes, frozen pizzas, choco-puff breakfast filler, gallon jug of chocolate milk, a box of donuts (I swear this is the truth). Is this not child abuse/neglect???
I have a small organic market garden and the majority of my customers are younger folks who are afraid of what is in our commercial food supply and acutely aware of where their food comes from. The generation I grew up in trusted everything that came out of a can (remember the taste sensation of canned peas and wax beans...I think I was tramatized lol). At any rate, I hope the next generation coming up is smarter and better informed than we were 20 years ago and demands a better food supply.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  4:59:28 PM  Show Profile
It's absolutely wonderful to come here and read these posts. Real food. We need to be eating real whole foods. The more a food is processed the less nutrition it has, unless you count fortifying.

People are so far removed from food that we should be frightened. I read on a list today that someone gave up all dairy except eggs. I explained the difference between where dairy and eggs come from. An adult woman asked me why I had a cow. I said it was a steer and was being raised as meat. Meat? She thought I was teasing her. "You know....steak and hamburger?" She said those came from the grocery store, not cows.

I read an article about England removing junk food from schools today. I'll look for the link and post it when I find it.

We need to keep talking about this to anyone who will listen. It's working. People are learning about naturally grown foods, preservatives, artificial dyes and flavorings, and chemicals that not only kill weeds and bad bugs but good bugs.

Amanda, I saved the carcass of a chicken I roasted. It's going to be used for chicken soup. When the bones are picked clean they'll go into the hot compost pile. There was a time when I bought whole chickens (pre-farming days) and took them to my mother to cut up. I couldn't stand the feeling of bone against knife. I got over it the first time I had my hand inside a freshly killed chicken. When I make vegetable stock I use parts of vegetables a lot of people throw away. I seldom ever peel vegetables but when I do the peels go into a container in the freezer for stock later.

Real people (everyone!) need to eat real food.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  5:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I was having a conversation with my friend yesterday about the role of technology and progress, and she made the comment that humans(as a species) are lazy and greedy, and the whole REAL purpose of technology and progress has been to make everything easier and faster so that we have more free time to "pursue leisure" which in all too many cases means sitting on one's bum and watching television.

This got me to thinking about the last episode of the PBS series "Frontier House" where they show the families 2 months after the show. They have almost all gone back to their "pre-frontier" lives, which included endless videogame playing, TV watching, and just general laziness. When asked what was so different, all of the children replied that there was so much to do that they were just BORED. So many options of leisure activities with no necessary activities left them sort of shellshocked.

Now to get back to the topic at hand, I think the EASE with which food(in general, BAD food specifically) is obtained now, people are able to be lazy and often choose based on what they concieve as pleasure and ease rather than quality. And I believe the generational issue is a big one. When my mom was growing up, processed or convenience foods were a delicacy! Therefore, when she came of age to feed her children, she gave us what she considered to be "the best", and that, to her, was convenience foods. Now that I am old enough to be thinking about what I want for my children, and now that we are knowlegable about the ill-effects of these foods, I want to go back to what my Grandmother serves (as is my mom, who is also buying much more organic and whole foods).

Well there's my tirade of the day!
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  01:20:44 AM  Show Profile
When I was first married I cooked alot of from scratch meals. My husband was a teacher then and he had 10 weeks holiday each year. We didn't have alot of money then because of our commitments.

When he started working for a corporation we started to do more reheating type meals, things that got made quick.

We live in a rural farm community now, the town is smaller than the one we lived in before. Therefore, the grocery has less food like that that would feed our family of 7. So we have gone back to stratch meals. Although I am more afraid of handling meat than I once was, I think because I am loosing the skill from lack of practise.

Our shop is improving now, which is good and bad.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  01:28:58 AM  Show Profile
The show about taking junk food out of English schools has Jamie Oliver in it. Jamie's School Dinners. That was a thought provoking show. So is thinking about shows like Frontier House. I sometimes get stressed watching them back in their normal life, although I haven't seen the show you mentioned I don't think.

We had a show like that in Australia called Outback House, it had three children in it too.

My husband had been doing alot of the cooking, I may have taken on too much myself with three step-children and five of my own, although not at the same time. I am a SAHM though. I got back into cooking through the encouragement of an on-line friend. My interest in food and recipes was still there. I hope it helps my kids a little bit trying out all these new and old recipes and using different ingredients. I know our son aged 14 loves cooking. Our 17 year old son went to China for about 2 weeks and had no problem eating different food. So even though we were in the corporate world for nearly 10 years, it is not too late!

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Sep 29 2005 01:31:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kit
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mechanic Falls Maine
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  06:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Kit a Yahoo! Message
I'm flat out horrible in the kitchen. I've made meals my beagle wouldn't touch, and that's saying a lot. But, I still keep plugging away at attempting to cook. Once our entire community is moved out here (we're in the "growing" stages :P ) there are far better cooks than I.

I too grew up on tv-dinners (remember the ones with tin lids you cooked in the oven?) and hamburger helper. To this day I still can't eat peas or lima beans ::gag:: though I've been told fresh taste FAR better than I was subjected to as a child.

Next year we're looking to add goats and chickens to the group's food supply - fresh, raised ourselves, hopefully organic (we're still learning) goat and chicken meat. We'll see if it actually works or not! :D But I was talking to a girl at work (mindless job) about going to goat school in a couple weeks and what we were doing and she's like "EEEW, you're gonna kill your own food?!" ................

=^..^=
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  07:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Robin, I'm with you on the vegetable broth! When I make veggie broth, it usually consists of:

Leek tops
Celery leaves
Mushrooms and/or mushroom stems (I live in a Korean neighborhood where I can get cheap shiitake mushrooms, and the stems are inedible, but they make wonderful veggie broth)
summer squash
chopped tomatoes (usually only 1)
the little cloves of garlic from the middle of the bulb (I cut them into large chunks, rather than bothering with mincing them.
whole peppercorns
whole coriander seed
whatever fresh herbs I have except cilantro, and/or dried thyme

I hit the jackpot the other day. I was out in the country with my husband at a train museum. In the middle of the afternoon, I left him there to take pictures of rotting machinery and went to a farmer's market. They were out of corn, but they still had half a dozen of those little ears of corn that sometimes shoot off the sides of a regular ear of corn. You know what I mean? Well, these little ears had been discarded by people who wanted the larger ears. I took them (she said I could have them for free) and I'm going to throw them, whole, into a pot of veggie stock. They give it wonderful body and sweetness.

Marlene, you're right about processed food. People just don't know the difference. A woman on general topics board I post on was talking about wanting to find low-cost recipes. I don't remember how we got on the subject, but we were talking about macaroni and cheese. She assumed I was talking about the kind from the box. I posted my recipe for macaroni and cheese (make a white sauce, melt the cheese in it, add cooked macaroni, bake in oven) She acted like I was some kind of gourmet or something! I didn't get it. This is one of the simplest dishes to make.

Edited by - ivmeer on Sep 29 2005 07:29:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  07:26:05 AM  Show Profile
Floralsaucer, you might find this interesting. My grandmother did daycare for about 20 years. She just retired last year at the age of 82. When the kids would come home after school, the first thing she would do was fix them dinner. And when I say dinner, I mean soup and sandwiches, beef stew and macaroni and cheese, really substantial meals, all made from scratch. She said that she couldn't guarantee what kind of food they were getting once they went home.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:15:53 AM  Show Profile
I am a vegetarian and I agree that people are very disconnected with their food. If you gonna eat meat, than you need to know where it comes from. How can you be gross out by it and still eat it. i guess because I looks different once it's on the plate. This disconnectedness come from the fact that most food mow comes in some sort of package already processed ( forgive me if I'm being redonent since I didn't read all the posts before me, I just had to put my tow cents in). Like my Mother-in-law eats these healthy choice tv dinner type things. Theu usually have chicken, mash potatos and something like cranberry sauce. Now the chicken has ingredients!! Now we're not talking what they seasoned the chicken with or the gravey that goes over the chicken, we're talking the chicken! And she really like this stuff. It's wonder that people even like the taste of real meat anymore because they're not used to getting it. My sisiter-in-law, Brooke will not buy anything ecept boneless chicken because she'll get sick with she has to do anything more than rinse the meat and cook it but than again the mac and cheese in her house is always made with powder cheese. I just grew up in a different world than most people I know. My Gandmom cooked everything from scratch. She would go to the butcher get good meat and clean it or grind it herself, she would say we always had the leanest hamburgers because she would always take all the fat off the meat before grinding it. This was one of the reason for becoming a vegetarian, in LA good organic, free range meat was hard to come by and really expensive and not a very sustainable and efficent way to eat. So we slowly took that out of our life and learn to become obsessed with ingredients, I don't eat anything that I don't know all the ingredient except on a few occations when it can't be helped. It's been so long now eating this way, that if I were to have a better way get meat in my diet I don't think I would. Anyway this whole matter is about ignorance - not knowing or/and not wanting to know. I can't live like that, which can be a curse also - being aware of whats really going on it the world.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile
I think people nowadays people are caught in a vicious cycle of working too much-> buy convenience because to busy= increased pricing -> back to work more to pay for it. Personally, I do think picking bones is tedious, but I still do it because I am a tightwad. I think for me knowing the difference between homemade and store bought is all it takes to keep me motivated to do such things like canning my own fruit, etc. I also like buying whole chickens because they are way cheaper!! (More of my tightwadness). I do use some conveniences like frozen vegies and things I can consider whole foods. But all in all, I think the quality and flavor is unsurpassable and much more satisfying. And who doesn't need that in the world today!

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, you understand exactly what I mean. This is exactly what I was talking about. This food squeamishness...I don't know why, but I know it's got to be dangerous.

I, personally, have no problem with knowing where my meat comes from. My husband says that he doesn't like the slimy feel of raw chicken, but when I hold up a chicken neck (already cooked) he'll eagerly gnaw the meat off of what are very obviously vertebrae.

Do you also find that vegetarians have this same squeamishness towards meat? I find it kind of strange that people would adopt vegetarianism because the idea of eating a dead animal is gross to them. I understand your position, that you were looking for organic and couldn't find it. I don't make eating organic such a priority myself, though I do like to eat as many whole foods as possible. I understand environmental and health arguments against eating meat or eating a lot of meat (I don't eat much meat myself).

I was having a conversation once with a woman who is vegan and has MAJOR food issues with squeamishness. She said, "Did you know that mayonnaise is just made from eggs and oil? Isn't that gross?" I said "Who cares?" and my friend said "Yum!" The idea of eating something that is a perfect emulsion of eggs in oil doesn't disgust me, but it disgusts her.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  7:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Kit, I'm curious as to what you mean by "our entire community?

I know a gilr at work who will eat chicken ONLY if it is boneless. She's grossed out by the bones. And I thought I had a food issue at 9 when the milk sat on the table too long!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Kit
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mechanic Falls Maine
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Kit a Yahoo! Message
Ew, milk sat on the table too long? Bleck!! :P That'd totally gross me out. Which is weird 'cause I like cottage cheese ... anyway ... our entire community is a small gaggle of friends trying to live in a more sustainable manner. I've already moved to the house, the rest of the gaggle is coming in the spring when the in town house is sold. I say gaggle 'cause we're not that terribly well organized yet!! :D :P I could prolly 'splain this a bit better if I wasn't half asleep and half brain dead from work.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:46:28 PM  Show Profile
When Jamie Oliver's school kids ate less reheated foods, they had less alergies, well they mentioned asthma. We have found we have been very healthy since 2003 when we moved to a rented farmhouse and then here. In the farmhouse, eventually I was able to go to a large grocery, but I think we were cooking from scratch to save money.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  12:19:44 AM  Show Profile
I guess I will add my 2 cents worth.
Your talking about chickensand vegetables, meat. Well unless they are certified organic, they have antibiotics given to them , because if one animal gets sick then it could kill all the others, so it is a prevention thing.
They have hormones given to them to make them grow bigger faster, and produce more milk.
The vegetables have sprays, fruit is sprayed, some of the labels say they have spray on them now, sure you can wash it off, but do you really get it all off, I dont think so. the root vegetables have insecticides in the soil to prevent worm and bug damage.
Food has been genetically altered, this is really scary, Most all corn is genetically altered now.
We have for years ( 20 easy) read books, sent for info on food, We learned alot, there was probably more info out there then ,then now.
And the quality of food was also much better. Now its very poor.
We read all the labels, we look for certified organic, because if you dont ,there is alot of false advertising out there, Like natural or field raised, or others like that ,they dont mean a thing./ it has to say certified
I also am amazed at what people feed themselves and thier kids, in the baskets at the grocery stores.
We both worked and raised 3 kids, and still had time to make stuff from scratch.
I think theses days people just arent interested enough to care what they eat, and they dont think of the old saying
"YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT" because it is true, if you just think about it
getting down from my podium now :)
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  04:18:54 AM  Show Profile
I don't want this to discourage people but I think everyone needs to be well informed about their food supply. There's a lot of false advertising behind the organic label. Did you know that there's no testing done on soil or foods grown that give factual evidence to the claim of organic? None. Nothing. The certifier here comes to the farm, looks at your records, look at your grounds, and leaves. That's all. The certifier my friends use didn't come to their farms until two weeks ago, which is the end of the growing season here. They've been allowed to sell organically labeled food all year without any kind of certification. They are organic. I know people who are certified and hide the synthetic fertilizer when the certifier comes.

By all means, buy organic but be fully informed. If you can find a local farmer, even if "local" means driving a while to get there, get to know the farmer and see how she's growing her food for yourself.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  6:06:06 PM  Show Profile
"You Are What You Eat" is another interesting show to watch.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  6:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh??? Where and when is this show on?
I was at the grocery store today and said a prayer of thanks that I have the privilege to buy organic meat and chicken - we ain't vegetarians around here - as well as the produce, chicken stock and canned tomatoes I bought - I'm just grateful the Lord provides the means for my family to eat as well as possible. We aren't wealthy, but what we put into our bodies is a priority for us. All summer I'm able to grow tomatoes, basil, peppers, lettuces and other herbs, but those are mostly gone this time of year.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  08:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Wait a minute.
The NOSB set the standards.To be legally organic we had to comply with the rules and regulations set by our FL state agency that has to get certified to answers for this board.

Robin
Have you reported on how the certifier does his job to the state?

Now I have no idea because I haven't really thought the Maine Dept ofAg wouldn't be like FL Dept of Ag when we are all ruled by a national org but maybe Maine is way different?

Our organic certification had a written really detailed app.And all day was wasted work wise with a certifier any time he came and he visited without appointments here. Now we only have 10 acres under groves.

We had to have the paperwork and receipts to document and show our complete organic farm management system.The certifyer here goes into all storage areas opens all bins buckets and cans. This was started 3years before certification is even allowed.You have to provide a history of management practices used on your farm, plotted soil tests, crop plans/maps, field history sheets of our yields to show my organic plan was to be followed for 3years. Then before the 3rd year we had to again swear and get notarized affidavits we would conitnue to follow standards for the 12 month or 3rd year of the certification period.

We use the FL Organic Growers agents for certification.
FOG is a not-for-profit grassroots membership. FOG is licensed from the FL Dept of Ag.& Consumer Serv. and they got to comply with the FL Organic Farming and Food Laws.

Then to get the fruit off of my farm without you buying and trucking it home as an enduser, I am required to have trip tickets for my fruit which includes my current organic certification by the USDA accredited certifyer; organic certificate #; my name as grove owner; my grove's location; citrus variety grown; and the estimate of my current season production in field boxes or it is a 10k fine.

I will agree with Robin to look out for organic imitators. Because of the recent surge for and popularity of organic stuff, there are companies trying to confuse my customers into thinking they are the same as me and my organics. I've seen them use labels like "pesticide screened" "eco-friendly" or "chem-free". They have no affilidation to the organic certification rules and regulations. If in doubt ask to see their certification from an accredited org.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  1:59:55 PM  Show Profile
>>We had to have the paperwork and receipts to document and show our complete organic farm management system.The certifyer here goes into all storage areas opens all bins buckets and cans. This was started 3years before certification is even allowed.You have to provide a history of management practices used on your farm, plotted soil tests, crop plans/maps, field history sheets of our yields to show my organic plan was to be followed for 3years. Then before the 3rd year we had to again swear and get notarized affidavits we would conitnue to follow standards for the 12 month or 3rd year of the certification period.<<

They're doing everythinghere that they're doing on your farm - but it's not enough in my opinion. It's too easy for farmers to bring back the non-organic herbicides and pesticides when the certifier leaves. Too many of them do it. Do you have to have your soil and food tested for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides? We don't here. It's a shame. When the government took over a grass roots movement they ruined it. We need another alternative - until they take that over too.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  9:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Is it too easy business because you don't have big fines? We are in a business about certifying our integrity. If you know of farmers who cheat don't you have an obligation to out them or the certifier who allows their certification to pass or continue?

Our soils are tested for the pesticides and fertilizers.Last year we lost part of our grove because with the hurricanes we had flood waters bring in effluents and synethics over the outer acreage by the lagoon. We took out trees,got dredges scooped out canals and bobcatted the top 4' of soil out and brought in new soil. We are won't redo grove will let this back area to return to mangrove/scrub oak hammock.

The state also have the authority to test for diseases. If we or a neighbor gets canker (it is a wind/rain blown bacteria)all citrus trees within 1900'whether they have been infected or not will be destroyed, our property quarantined and no fruit, plants, or can move/be sold until we go two years disease free.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  10:00:43 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure when it is screened in America. Here is the site for it:

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/Y/yawye/

It should be on your TV soon according to this page:

http://www.simply-natural.biz/You-Are-What-You-Eat.php

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Oct 02 2005 10:05:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Urbanization and food-phobia Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page