Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I want to buy a large amount of beef at once rather than weekly or so at the grocery store. We have a great processor/butcher here in town that I hope to buy from. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how much I will need and if I'm getting a good deal or not (vs. buying at my grocery store...sometimes there are sales that are a way cheaper price than the butcher quoted). Anyone out there buy meat in bulk?

Kim in NC

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I always buy my meat in bulk. I feel it's a great deal. The best thing to do is work up a meal plan and figure out how much meat it will require. Also some butchers will help you figure it out. My butcher has a monthly plan for a small family that is about $99 a month. It's more than a month's worth of meat for us as we never/rarely eat meat for breakfast and we eat left overs about 2/3 of the time during the month.

Also if you have the freeze space, you can still buy the really good sales at the grocery store and just stock up. Say the sale is on roasts- then you stock up and for the next month or so you won't have to buy roast.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  2:03:24 PM  Show Profile
Lots of times you can rent freezer space for next to nothing, especially if you buy a half a side or other huge quantity. I would check out your local ranchers.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic buying meat in bulk- help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page