Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 my latest knitting project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic my latest knitting project Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  7:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you knitted with a red heart yarn called babyteri?? It is so neat! I got some awhile back and when I needed to knit a baby sweater for a niece who is expecting soon and knows it is a girl I got out the free pattern that was being given away at the store I bought it at and a skein of pink and one of white (I have another white and a blue for another baby) and I have a sweater about 2/3 done. It is so much like chenille when knitted! I LOVE it! For a fun texture and a good price it is fun to work with!! I think I may actually finish it before the baby is born..a plus!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  1:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
It sounds wonderful, Jenny. I love those soft yarns for babies! I'm a new knitter and have only made a handful of things. With the cool mornings I hauled out my bag and started working on the prayer shawl I started in early spring. I didn't feel much like knitting during the summer but I'm interested again. I thought this shawl would be nice to have to throw over my shoulders. Mine doesn't seem to be as wide as the picture looks so I may have to start over - we'll see. http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-prayerShawl.html

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile
I bought the book about the prayer shalls and think they're a wonderful idea. One of these days.... I'm working on scarves for the winter right now. Plus the quilt and the Christmas presents. This is a busy time of year. My daughter's best friend is expecting in March and I'm already planning what I'll knit and quilt for her. Baby things are so sweet!.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  8:31:44 PM  Show Profile
I love the look of the prayer shawl..I had never heard of them before! I like that homespun yarn..for such a neat pretty textured yarn it is wonderful for it's washability!!! My sister knitted ponchos for my girls last Christmas with that yarn...they are so soft and nice!
I will have to maybe make a prayer shawl next. I am a shawl kind of a gal!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  8:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Have you knit anything with that Homespun yarn? I love how it looks but hate knitting with it. I knit a poncho for one of my daughters last year for her birthday. It was a struggle. I kept getting the nubby parts hung up on the needle when I didn't want it to. Oh well

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  04:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the prayer shawl link -- I may crochet one. I've just learned to crochet and am eager to graduate from dishcloth projects. And the shawl looks somewhat easy -- like a big dishcloth, hee hee.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:19:41 PM  Show Profile
I just started knitting again and what do I see . . . several posts on knitting all of a sudden. I am knitting a simple purse. When it is finished, it will be felted. My mother got me started with it . . . she has been knitting and felting really cool slippers for the last few months. Has anyone else tried felting?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:40:14 PM  Show Profile
I once turned an oversized sweater, which reached to my knees, into a potholder. Does that count?

But seriously, no, not yet. I have a pattern for felted pet beds and there is one for felted "ballet" style slippers I really want to try. My house was built in 1936 and has beautiful hardwood floors. I keep a basket of slippers by the welcome mat in a variety of sizes and colors so that guest can choose a pair if they like. I never ask them to but they usually do. Easier on the floors and I let them take their slippers home although many have left them behind with a little "reserved for" tag fo their next visit. Anyway, I think it would be nice to have nice jewel tone slippers for the ladies.

I worry about all that stuff going into my dryer vent. I think I would take it to a laundromat where they are more likely to clean the dryer vent often. I do it when I think of it.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  8:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm . . . I'm not sure if the lint really does come loose (in the dryer). I just thought it bound itself all together . . . you know . . . felted :-) I'll have to ask my mom about that since she's done several sets of slippers and a couple of hats.

A felted pet bed sounds very interesting.

Nancy
PS. Do you use the "pot holder"?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  8:35:15 PM  Show Profile
felting knitted things is something I have been interested in and never got around to...well, felting wool too..I need to get on that ..sounds so fun.I do have a pattern that looks cute for knitted felted slippers that are sort of mule/clog style, and a couple hat patterns. I wish I could wear hats well..they just arn't cute on me. A felted knitted purse would be right up my alley!! I would love to see a picture when you are done Nancy!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  04:27:19 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to see pics of any and all projects ya'll are working on!

It's such fun to share ideas and makes it seem as if the miles between us aren't all that many when we can see the wonderful handmade items that are being made! I've knitted with Homespun yarn and like Marcia had a dickin's of a time keeping the yarn from splintering and getting hung up on the needles!

Right now I'm working on crocheting a warm throw for snuggling under while watching tv or reading on a cold winters night! Being new to crochet I'm wondering if anyone has tips to keep the work from growing out beyond the first chain stitching? I skipped the correct amount of chains in between the first row of stitches and still it's much smaller (or maybe tighter?) than the rest of the rows that have been crochet since the first couple. What am I doing wrong, please advise!!! I'll need to know before I try making another afghan as this one is a good ways done now and I sure don't feel like starting it all over again.....

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü

Edited by - hapyhrt on Oct 07 2005 04:28:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  05:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Sher, I've found that I must have big stitches when I chain on to accomodate for this tightness. When I do, then it comes together better and all the rows feel like the same tightness. You're right, next project you can try it out!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  07:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Clare is right Sher, keep the chain loose, I don't have that problem anymore if I keep it loose.

As for the felted wool (fabric), I have had a lot of fun with this, too. I've got some beautiful wool at Goodwill and Value Village in the form of 100% wool skirts. Some I have even over-dyed. I haven't made any hooked rugs, though I would like to someday. But I have made a couple of penny rugs. Alas, all my wool is packed away right now. Boy do I love this sort of thing! Hopefully soon I will get to it again.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  8:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the helpful advice Clare and Nancy! I will be sure the next time I make the chain to start a new project the stitches will be loose! Appreciate your sharing this tip with me!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  09:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Anybody know how to make knit lace? I really want to learn but I get mixed up so easily with the "yo"s. It says SL SL and then knit those two together. How can you knit something you've already slip stitched onto the right needle?

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Patricia
Slip each stich, one at a time onto your right needle, then insert your left needle into the front of both stitches. Wind your yarn around as you would to knit and knit the two together.

The first lace I ever did was very difficult for me. I found that two things helped:
1. Write down the number of stitches you are supposed to have at the end of each pattern row. This will help you to check your accuracy at the end of each row, rather than waiting until you notice a problem.
2. Find a way to identify which pattern row you are working on. Some folks find a long magnetic strip, put the pattern on a cookie sheet and then move the strip down after each row. (Does that make sense? I can try to explain again if you like.)

I have now completed several lace shawls with many rows between pattern repeats. Careful notetaking is essential as is a certain degree of patience. But you can do it. You'll find after a while that you can develop that same zen-like rhythm that comes with simpler knitting.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  2:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Lurban! I'm going to try it. Don't go anywhere, I may need to ask you again! LOL Thanks, P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  5:22:10 PM  Show Profile
OK, here I am as promised, back again! I got the row done correctly. Now, here's the next row: K2, p17, k2. Got that right. Now here's another hard one: (K5, yo, sk2p,yo) 2 times, k5. and then you K21 for the final row of the pattern stitch.

I came out with only 19 stitches after doing all the K5,yo.sk2p,yo stuff instead of 21, yet when I finished that row, I had used up all the previous row. What I'm saying is, I still came out with only 19 stitches although the previous row ended where it should have. How can I k21 if I only have 19 stitches?

I'm going to go put my head in the oven and turn on the gas. I've started over 4 times. ARGH!

Thanks in advance again.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  6:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Patricia. Here goes:
You knit 5. Add one stitch with a yarn over. Lose one stitch with the sk2p (right? your making two stitches into one). Add another stich with another yarn over.
5+1+1+1= 8
Then you do the same as you have above. Another 8.
8+8= 16
Then you knit 5.
16+5=21

So, what is making you come out with 19? Could be you're losing one of your yarn overs each time you do the sk2p. Take a look at your row. Does it look like 5knits, a yarn over, a pearl, a yarn over, 5 knits, a yarn over, a pearl, a yarn over, 5 knits? I don't know how much knitting you've done, but it was hard for me at first to actually see what was on the needle, but once you get used to checking your work this way, you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  9:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Hm...I'm still struggling. When you do the psso do you knit the slipped stitch that you take back onto the left needle? I'm determined to do this. Thanks for your help.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  9:12:29 PM  Show Profile
PSSO or pass slipped stitch over. Generally you see this like "slip one, knit one, psso." in this case you will take your left needle and lift the slipped stitch over the last stitch worked, then drop it between the needles and not work it. It is a way to decrease. So no, you won't knit it.

Annie.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile
AHA!! It's over 2 slipped stitches, but I don't think that matters. OK. When you yarn over, do you just do it as if you were going to do a knit stitch? Or is there a particular way it has to go? I seem to be coming out with too few stitches.

Thanks so much, Annie! (and Lurban)

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  5:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so, you're knitting along, carrying your yarn along behind your work when the pattern calls for a yarn over. You bring the yarn forward, under your right hand needle, and then to the back over top of that needle. Then you put your needle in the next left hand stitch and continue knitting as you normally would.

Where you might be having trouble is if the next stitch after your yarn over is a pearl. It is easy to bring that yarn forward and then forget to wrap it all the way around to the front again for pearl stitch.

Does this make sense? Do you think it explains the problem you are having? Anyone else have ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  9:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Lurban. I think that might be it. I'm dying to get back to it and try it, but tonight I had to teach and I'm too tired to do it now. I'll work on it tomorrow and let you know. Thank you again so much. You're so patient. I really long to be able to knit lace.

Hugs,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  05:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone here knit socks? I have knitted several pair and have a question on washing them. How are you supposed to wash these things? I have made them all out of sock yarn that is part wool part nylon (I think) but they definately aren't 100% wool. Anyway, one pair of my socks is almost felted! I washed them in the machine and laid them to dry. I don't want this to happen to any more of my socks! They are still great once I get them on but getting them on is quite the chore! I have a pair now that are ready for the laundry but I'm afraid to wash them! Thanks for any advice you can give me on this! Daisy
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  08:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I put mine in a mesh bag made especially for lingerie washing. Then I was them on gentle, slow, cold. You get the idea. Stretch them lengthwise and widthwise if they look smaller and line dry them OR, and this is what I do, put them on a pair or "sock blockers" and hang them to dry.

The big thing is, do not put them in the dryer. You can drap them over a hanger or shower rod or whatever is available but no heat.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic my latest knitting project Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page